Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joepunk

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2004
a profane existence
Check out http://www.thestranger.com for local things to do (music, film, events, concerts, food, art, culture).

Of course you may not be into some of the events that they write about. But, I always look there for any Seattle events that I would like.

Can't help you with Portland as I will be across the river in Vancouver WA for the Holiday.

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
In Seattle:
Pike Place Market
Olympic National Park
Discovery Park
Queen Anne Hill for its view of the Seattle skyline (eat at Salty's on Alki Beach...kind of $$$, but food is excellent and view is nice too).
Experience Music Project
Museum of Flight
Seattle Art Museum
Seattle Underground Tour
Ye Olde Curiosity Shop
Burke-Gilman Trail

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
believo said:
I'm going to portland and seattle for six days next week. Anyone know of any must-see things?

thanks.

Seattle:

Fun:

- Space Needle

Music Lover:

- EMP (Experinece Music Project) - Music lover museum and try out your skills with interactive things, very cool, highly recommend, cool building (see pic 1)

Shopper:

- Downtown- Nordstroms, Macy's etc.

-University Villiage (University of WA Village) - *Apple Store*

Adventurer:

- Ferry Ride to Bainbridge (Day trip)

Coffee Lover:

-Starbucks! :p you can find them every 2 blocks downtown

Art Lover:

- SAM (Seattle Art Musuem)

Book/ Research Lover:

-Seattle Public Library (See pic 2) - very cool building

And a bunch more that I cant think of right now! lol.

Pic 1:

Pic 2:

edit- O god! I forgot Pike Place Market! Lol. As Clayj said, lots of Art gallerys in that area too! O and yes come to "The Rock" (Queen Anne Hill) I live there! Dont have a view though :(

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
clayj said:
And as long as you're visiting Pike Place Market, take a one-block walk to the intersection of First and Union and visit William Traver Gallery and Vetri Glass... Traver is one of the best glass galleries in the WORLD. (Tell 'em Clay sent you.)

I will take a gander that you have been to the Museum of Glass in Tacoma.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
mac-er said:
I will take a gander that you have been to the Museum of Glass in Tacoma.
Actually, I haven't been back to Seattle since the MoG opened. But I would like to go next time I'm out that way. (The furthest south I've been in the Seattle area is the airport. :p )

mac-er

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
w_parietti22 said:
yes come to "The Rock" (Queen Anne Hill)

I am so jealous. Seattle is a hell of a city culturally, and its situated in the one of the most beautiful parts of the US and Canada.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
mac-er said:
I am so jealous. Seattle is a hell of a city culturally, and its situated in the one of the most beautiful parts of the US and Canada.

Yes, Seattle is a beautiful city. Despite all the dumb rumors about rain! lol.

Apple

macrumors 6502
Mar 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
When I went a few months ago I really enjoyed the space needle and the Pikes place market.

Oh yeah... Don't forget your poncho :p

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
w_parietti22 said:
OK... the truth about Seattle from someone who DOESN'T live there:

1. When it's sunny in Seattle (which is pretty rare), it's BEAUTIFUL. The times I've been there when it's been sunny, I loved being able to see Mount Rainier from Redmond, and looking west across Lake Washington, Seattle, and the Puget Sound to see the Olympics beyond. For about two weeks in the summer of 1999, I *almost* moved to a lakefront condo in Kirkland. But I didn't, because...

2. ... when it's gloomy in Seattle, it's like being in a cold tropical rainforest... misty, chilly, and very, very green. I was there for five months (Nov 1998 - Mar 1999) and it rained EVERY FREAKING DAY. I could have been a vampire and I would have been fine. The gloom started the day I got there, and stopped the day I left.

I love visiting Seattle, but I could never live there permanently.

macartistkel

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2005
Portland, Oregon
Oh I am jealous...I have wanted to check out Seattle for a long time. The closest I got was went I visited Vancouver, BC and for ONE day only the clouds lifted and Mount Rainer appeared. I thought I was going to pass out or something because I had been looking for it for days and then all of sudden it was just sitting there in the sky and clouds. I love huge snow covered mountains and if I could wake up and see that mountain outside my window everyday, I would be happy!! :)

There is so much to do in Seattle....hope you have a blast on your trip!! :)

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
clayj said:
2. ... when it's gloomy in Seattle, it's like being in a cold tropical rainforest... misty, chilly, and very, very green. I was there for five months (Nov 1998 - Mar 1999) and it rained EVERY FREAKING DAY. I could have been a vampire and I would have been fine. The gloom started the day I got there, and stopped the day I left.
Uh well yeah if you base your whole weather experiance on just one season than it seems pretty gloomy. But if the worst thing in the middle of winter is some rain thats pretty mild IMO.

Not trying to sound like a total jerk but its a MAJOR pet peeve of mine when people think it only rains and we get only about 2 days of rain.

It is raining right now thouh.:p

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Well someone has to say it... Microsoft.

13410112919005l.jpg

... I'm so getting flamed for that picture of me, lol.

w_parietti22

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2005
Seattle, WA
clayj said:
OK... the truth about Seattle from someone who DOESN'T live there:

1. When it's sunny in Seattle (which is pretty rare), it's BEAUTIFUL. The times I've been there when it's been sunny, I loved being able to see Mount Rainier from Redmond, and looking west across Lake Washington, Seattle, and the Puget Sound to see the Olympics beyond. For about two weeks in the summer of 1999, I *almost* moved to a lakefront condo in Kirkland. But I didn't, because...

I love visiting Seattle, but I could never live there permanently.

How can you expect to know the truth about Seattle when you don't live here?

I'm the one who has lived here 14 years! (all my life) To put into your perspective, thats like covering up more than half a painting and saying that its bad! :mad:

Also, Seattle gets less rainfall than New York! :eek:

Do you have a problem with green? Whats wrong with green? :confused:

Look at these pics taken in October of this year! I mean... is it pooring down rain? :rolleyes:

So is the person who lives here who is decieved... or is the person who sees the worst months in Seattle who is decieved? hmmm... you tell me. :rolleyes:

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
w_parietti22 said:
How can you expect to know the truth about Seattle when you don't live here?
I did live there temporarily, for five months.

w_parietti22 said:
Also, Seattle gets less rainfall than New York! :eek:
Seattle also gets less rainfall annually than Charlotte... but as I like to say, we have the common decency to get it OVER WITH. In Charlotte, we can get 2 inches of rain in a day. In Seattle, that would get stretched over two weeks.

w_parietti22 said:
Do you have a problem with green? Whats wrong with green? :confused:
Nothing wrong with green... but it's very, VERY green.

w_parietti22 said:
Look at these pics taken in October of this year! I mean... is it pooring down rain? :rolleyes:

So is the person who lives here who is decieved... or is the person who sees the worst months in Seattle who is decieved? hmmm... you tell me. :rolleyes:
I already said that when it's beautiful in Seattle, it's BEAUTIFUL. It's just that there are WAY too many cloudy/misty/soggy days for my tastes.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
MacFan782040 said:
Visit my friend in Puyallup.
Ten bonus points to someone not from the area who can pronounce that correctly.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I won't be guessing, because I grew up in Washington, so I already know.

ryannel2003

macrumors 68000
Jan 30, 2005
Greenville, NC
clayj said:
I did live there temporarily, for five months.

Seattle also gets less rainfall annually than Charlotte... but as I like to say, we have the common decency to get it OVER WITH. In Charlotte, we can get 2 inches of rain in a day. In Seattle, that would get stretched over two weeks.

Nothing wrong with green... but it's very, VERY green.

I already said that when it's beautiful in Seattle, it's BEAUTIFUL. It's just that there are WAY too many cloudy/misty/soggy days for my tastes.

I'm surprised to see that Charlotte gets more rain. You know, I've lived in NC (New Bern) all my life and never been to Charlotte. I have been to Raleigh, Boone, Asheville, Greensboro, etc. and it has been beautiful. I need to make an excuse to see what Charlotte is really like (Mom, we need to go to the Apple Store :D ).

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I've never really wanted to visit Seattle, but with the pictures that Wes posted, I just might have to change my opinion.

Kobushi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2005
Right behind you.
When in Portland, head for Edgefield...it's an asylum that's been converted into a restaurant/movie theater. It's pretty nice as you can eat a meal in a real seat while watching the movie, then go lounge in one of the recliners near the front row. They serve alcohol, too :)

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Portland:

OMSI
Riverfront Park
Ride the MAX through town
Lloyd Center Mall w/ ice skating rink (i think)

Seattle:

Ride a Ferry to Whidbey Island and ride the free transit from end to end of the largest island in the Continental US.
Seattle Underground
Seattle Aquarium
University of Washington Arboretum
Tours of Safeco Field and Qwest Field
Historic Trolly
Monorail
Seattle Center
Pacific Science Center (IMAX)
Ivar's Restaurant

----
Seattle is a very easy place to get lost, and some places are very dirty. Portland is very easy to navigate, either you hit the river or a freeway, very few diagonal streets. Seattle has lots of Adult entertainment along First Avenue between Pioneer Square and Sodo. Portland is nothing but beer and gentlemen's clubs. Take your pick.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.