Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro

Old Aug 13, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
WardC
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to WardC
New Mac Pro only available with single CPU!

I just realized this...in their video on the website, it shows the 'processor' and explains that there are 12-core options, but they are only referring to a single-CPU Ivy Bridge chip. From what it looks like...Apple will not be offering a dual-CPU model.

12-core single chip will be the top option.

Looks like Apple dropped the ball on this one.
Thinking about Apple...
WardC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post
I just realized this...in their video on the website, it shows the 'processor' and explains that there are 12-core options, but they are only referring to a single-CPU Ivy Bridge chip. From what it looks like...Apple will not be offering a dual-CPU model.

Has been discussed before, endlessly.
Kissaragi is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:05 PM   #3
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

If that is confirmed.....

and come to reality, more motives then for holding me about buying a new Pro. But I can see the reasoning in this, because design constraints and such.....

Old Aug 13, 2013, 05:08 PM   #4
hudson1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WardC View Post

If you think the trend is toward offloading tasks to the GPU then I suppose you might call it a three-processor machine. As has been just mentioned, it's been endlessly discussed but the real power of this computer won't be known until it's released and thoroughly tested.
hudson1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:41 PM   #5
Photovore
macrumors regular

It's also not entirely inconceivable that they may, a year later, offer a stretch tube chassis with an extra CPU and maybe an extra SSD ... though pretty unlikely, I think.
Photovore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:46 PM   #6
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

I want a fatter tube, not really a taller tube. It already looks like it will be easily knocked over, and a fatter tube would be more stable while providing more space for additional parts.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:49 PM   #7
d-m-a-x
macrumors 6502

Triangle would have been waaaayyy cooler
d-m-a-x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:50 PM   #8
wonderspark
macrumors 68030

"They have a fight, Triangle wins, Triangle Man..."
Old Aug 13, 2013, 07:53 PM   #9
Foxdog175
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photovore View Post
It's also not entirely inconceivable that they may, a year later, offer a stretch tube chassis with an extra CPU and maybe an extra SSD ... though pretty unlikely, I think.
That's not Apple's style. They'd rather you throw them another 6 grand for a new Mac Pro than offer a CPU expansion. They're probably delaying this feature just as an incentive to buy the next (taller) Mac Pro.
Foxdog175 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2013, 09:45 PM   #10
Photovore
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxdog175 View Post
That's not Apple's style. They'd rather you throw them another 6 grand for a new Mac Pro than offer a CPU expansion. They're probably delaying this feature just as an incentive to buy the next (taller) Mac Pro.
Apologies if my meaning was unclear, but I think that what you are saying is exactly what I meant to say: wait a year or two and then offer the higher-capability chassis. A "stretch limousine" after you just bought the previous model of limousine.

Thankfully, these puppies tend to have a good resale value!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
I want a fatter tube, not really a taller tube. It already looks like it will be easily knocked over, and a fatter tube would be more stable while providing more space for additional parts.
Yes, there you go. A taller tube would 1) be easier to knock over and 2) only offer the same cooling as the lesser-TDP model (unless they put a squirrel-cage fan on top!). A fat one would be better. So, a "puffed tube" rather than a "stretched tube".

Or, a smoothed triangle, as above. That would be cool!
Photovore is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:46 AM   #11
mcfx
macrumors member

I prefer the 12-core single CPU vs 12-core dual CPU anytime. There's more efficiency: less power consumption -> less heat & noise, no more cache and memory latency over the QPI.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:54 AM   #12
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

I can't wait until someone upgrades a 2010 or 2012 Mac Pro to dual 12 core processors (24 cores/48 threads).

I just wanna watch the New Mac Pro zealots squirm when they realize their new form factor will never be that powerful now or in the future.

-SC
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:58 AM   #13
mcfx
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
I can't wait until someone upgrades a 2010 or 2012 Mac Pro to dual 12 core processors (24 cores/48 threads).

I just wanna watch the New Mac Pro zealots squirm when they realize their new form factor will never be that powerful now or in the future.

-SC
I have (see my signature)
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:43 AM   #14
Umbongo
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcfx View Post
I prefer the 12-core single CPU vs 12-core dual CPU anytime. There's more efficiency: less power consumption -> less heat & noise, no more cache and memory latency over the QPI.
All things being equal sure, but the reality is two 3.5GHz 6-cores vs one 2.7GHz 12-core. I'd take the extra 30% clockspeed for a workstation when the extra power usage is 0.1 kWh and we've had to deal with the other issues for a decade and it's been fine. 16 cores at 2.6GHz will likely also be the same sort of price as a single 12-core solution.

Obviously not an option with the new Mac Pro, but I can't see too many clamoring for a single 12-core in the PC workstation market.
Umbongo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:21 AM   #15
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'll pass on both and go for a 24-core dual...
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:07 AM   #16
jasonvp
Banned

Send a message via AIM to jasonvp
Quote:
I have (see my signature)
No you haven't. If you read his post carefully, he mentioned upgrading a 5,1 to a dual 12-core (ie, 24-core). That won't be possible without tearing the logic board completely out of the case and replacing it with something new.

And at that point, why not just build a Hack?
jasonvp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:12 AM   #17
Cubemmal
macrumors 6502a

Now he realizes two graphics + CPU equals three, and a triangle has three sides ...

By all reports the Mach kernel they have struggles with more cores, I remember reading an article how it doesn't scale well. Linux solved this problem back in the 90's but Apple is still behind the game. Did they ever really fix that? Don't know.

Regardless Intel also struggles to add cores without significantly jacking the price. Xeon's are crazy expensive, it's cheaper to add parallelization through GPU's rather than CPU's which the industry has recognized. The idea these days is to find ways to put your code on the massively parallel and cheaper GPU. Even in supercomputing they are utilizing more GPU horsepower than CPU.

So Apple is just correctly following the industry trend. If software could take advantage it would be fun to put some more GPU out in a thunderbolt cage. That would be interesting because the bandwidth should be adequate for pure compute tasks.
Cubemmal is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:16 AM   #18
theSeb
macrumors 603

This is new and interesting information that has not been discussed before.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 07:34 AM   #19
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderspark View Post
Actually, for a dual-processor machine they should use a dual-tube configuration. Essentially fuse two tubes side by side. That way it would look like a jet pack.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:10 AM   #20
JesterJJZ
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
Actually, for a dual-processor machine they should use a dual-tube configuration. Essentially fuse two tubes side by side. That way it would look like a jet pack.
Add some hard drive bays and pci slots and I'm sold.
JesterJJZ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:15 AM   #21
WMD
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottishCaptain View Post
Intel won't be making any 12-core CPUs that the current Mac Pro will support. They may not even be the same socket.
WMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:17 AM   #22
beaker7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubemmal View Post
So Apple is just correctly following the industry trend.

If software could take advantage it would be fun

Yep. GPU compute would be great if software could take advantage of it.

And it had a usable amount of memory.

Maybe in the second or third generation tube. iTubeS ?
beaker7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 08:36 AM   #23
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker7 View Post
Yep. GPU compute would be great if software could take advantage of it.

And it had a usable amount of memory.

Maybe in the second or third generation tube. iTubeS ?
The key to this, I think, is making GPU power available to applications without the developers having to do something special. In other words, this should be something that the compiler can do, by analysing and optimising the code.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:16 AM   #24
Tesselator
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubemmal View Post
Now he realizes two graphics + CPU equals three, and a triangle has three sides ...

By all reports the Mach kernel they have struggles with more cores, I remember reading an article how it doesn't scale well. Linux solved this problem back in the 90's but Apple is still behind the game. Did they ever really fix that? Don't know.

Regardless Intel also struggles to add cores without significantly jacking the price. Xeon's are crazy expensive, it's cheaper to add parallelization through GPU's rather than CPU's which the industry has recognized. The idea these days is to find ways to put your code on the massively parallel and cheaper GPU. Even in supercomputing they are utilizing more GPU horsepower than CPU.

So Apple is just correctly following the industry trend. If software could take advantage it would be fun to put some more GPU out in a thunderbolt cage. That would be interesting because the bandwidth should be adequate for pure compute tasks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSeb View Post
This is new and interesting information that has not been discussed before.
I hope that was meant sarcastically, as I've been saying the same thing for what seems like a trillion times already.
Tesselator is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 09:20 AM   #25
theSeb
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesselator View Post
I hope that was meant sarcastically, as I've been saying the same thing for what seems like a trillion times already.
96% of my posts here are sarcastic.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac Pro