Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2013
I think it's been almost ten times now that my phones alarm just doesn't go off and every time I think I fixed it, it'll do it again. This morning I couldn't sleep and when my alarm went off I heard it ring once and then it just stopped... Anyone else having this problem? I have a pretty new 4s and I'm on the latest update. Any help?

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Buy an alarm clock :p

Joking aside, why dont you give it a fresh install, restore and start over..it might iron out the bug.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
I've been using the stock alarm clock for nearly 2 years without an issue on my 4S. I pray it never does anything like that to me.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Same thing has happened to me in the past with my iPhone 4. I now make sure that if I have an alarm set I'll switch my phone off of vibrate before I go to sleep and also make sure the alarm isn't set to go off whilst Do Not Disturb is on. I've had too many incidents where my alarm just didn't go off when my phone was switched to vibrate. I expected more from Apple, but since then I haven't had any problems - since making sure I don't leave it on vibrate.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Same thing has happened to me in the past with my iPhone 4. I now make sure that if I have an alarm set I'll switch my phone off of vibrate before I go to sleep and also make sure the alarm isn't set to go off whilst Do Not Disturb is on. I've had too many incidents where my alarm just didn't go off when my phone was switched to vibrate. I expected more from Apple, but since then I haven't had any problems - since making sure I don't leave it on vibrate.

Its a strange glitch.

Like I mentioned, I've been using my 4S as an alarm for nearly 2 years. Its always on vibrate and since DnD was released that's been on every weekday night. Never had an issue.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Been using my alarm every weekday for the past 2 years. I do not turn off sounds or vibrate only. I just used DnD and set it to a schedule. Everything works fine.

I would suggest a restore as new and try that first. It sounds like a software problem, not a hardware one.

As for "expected more from Apple", I find it difficult to lay blame on any one company based upon incomplete data and assumption. Who's to say its not another application failing and preventing the alarm from functioning? We just don't know. By that logic, lets blame Foxconn too.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I've been using the stock alarm clock for nearly 2 years without an issue on my 4S. I pray it never does anything like that to me.

I never had any problems with the alarm on any of my iPhones. Hope you get it figured out OP.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
If a phone alarm is ruining your life then you certainly should invest in a standard alarm with a 9V battery backup.

That being said, I have used my iPhone as an alarm for as long as I can remember. Even when there was a very well documented bug, I wasn't affected. I certainly would say that you should restore your iPhone and see what happens. Did you ever download another alarm app?

PS, is the title a question because if so, I'm not sure if your life is truly ruined.

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
I've used my iPhone as my main alarm for nearly 4 years now. I notice that, previously, my phone would sound every 5 minutes after I unlocked my device..from that point on, I just turn off the alarm every morning, and turn it back on after the hour of the alarm setting (ie, if my alarm is set at 6:45am, I would turn it off after it sounds, then go back in and turn it back on any time after 7:00am). Sent from my iPad.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Never used the stock alarm unless I've been traveling as I have a bedside one at home. However I started using the app Rise a few days ago when my alarm at home developed a fault. It was a free download the other day (may still be) and has a really nice interface.
That said I normally just wake up before my alarm goes off at 6:20 anyhow, as I have trained my body to wake for work.

EvilQueen

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2013
In my own world
Sounds like a software issue to me also. Maybe a app doing strange things or something left from a app that was deleted. Have you installed any aftermarket alarm apps? Have you tried other tones? Maybe there is an issue with the tone you use.

Jades

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2012
Happened to me as soon as iheartradio came out with their alarm clock function. As soon as i shut off location services to turn off the alarm service from that app, everything started to work perfectly

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
I've never had a problem with the alarm. Even with vibrate on/sound off, and DND set, it still goes off every time.

Decbaux

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2013
Is your alarm set to only work on 'weekdays' or 'weekends'?

Ive been caught a few times expecting my 'weekdays' alarm to go off on a saturday.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I use the alarm exclusively and haven't had a problem. I do wish it had the ability to go off when the device was powered off like my past Blackberry devices did.

DND does the trick these days but prepare for a heart attack at 3 am if there is an Amber Alert or hurricane or flood warning. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.