Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
In regards to my last post I called apple because my powerbook kept sleeping randomly. I would have it plugged in fully charged and it would just sleep while I was using it. We did all sorts of tests and resetting this and that and it was working fine. I thought maybe Application Enhancer was causing the problem. So all of a sudden it starts acting up today and it got so bad that it would sleep every 3 seconds or so. I finally pulled the battery and the power cord and it seems to be ok now. What can I do, I can't take this and I need to use this computer! Thanks!

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
mad jew said:
What did you reset? Did you reset the PMU?

The PMU, Disabled all my start up programs, ran the disk checker from the Tiger CD, disabled sleep, airport, bluetooth. It was fine for a week and all of a sudden it started acting up today. Oh I even re-calibrated the battery.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Spaceboy464 said:
it got so bad that it would sleep every 3 seconds or so.

Is it the entire computer or just the display that's sleeping?

Spaceboy464 said:
I finally pulled the battery and the power cord and it seems to be ok now.

So, how's it getting its power? A different battery or adaptor or something?

Spaceboy464 said:
What can I do, I can't take this and I need to use this computer! Thanks!

Talk to Apple again? This is sounding pretty bad, sorry I can't be very helpful. :eek:

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
mad jew said:
Is it the entire computer or just the display that's sleeping?

The whole computer. Like every thing stops and the little sleep light comes on.

mad jew said:
So, how's it getting its power? A different battery or adaptor or something?

I reconnected everything. I just did that to turn it off.

mad jew said:
Talk to Apple again? This is sounding pretty bad, sorry I can't be very helpful. :eek:

I guess. I'll call them tomorrow.

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
There's a switch by the display latch button that tells the PB to sleep when you close the lid. It's possible (probable?) that this is malfunctioning. Also, make a backup and reinstall Tiger, just to rule out (or fix ;)) any software issue.

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
Counterfit said:
There's a switch by the display latch button that tells the PB to sleep when you close the lid. It's possible (probable?) that this is malfunctioning. Also, make a backup and reinstall Tiger, just to rule out (or fix ;)) any software issue.

Well I have it plugged into an external monitor so it is always closed. Do I have to erase all my programs to reinstall tiger or what? How do I do this?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
Spaceboy464 said:
Well I have it plugged into an external monitor so it is always closed. Do I have to erase all my programs to reinstall tiger or what? How do I do this?

You can do a archive and install using the OSX dvds that came with your machine.

dummptyhummpty

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 4, 2005
generik said:
You can do a archive and install using the OSX dvds that came with your machine.

Thanks I called apple again and we reset the NVRAM and something else ram related. Hopefully that works. He said if it doesn't I need to archive and install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.