Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:16 AM   #1
LNK12
macrumors newbie

External Hard Drive not Showing up

I currently have a relatively new Seagate Backup Plus for Mac which has worked just fine up until now. It started a few days ago when I got the popup informing me that the disk was not ejected properly, which I found odd considering when I checked, it seemed to be still plugged in. I shrugged it off, believing I might have moved it accidentally while switching positions or something like that. When I tried to use it the next day though, it would not show up on the side or on my desktop, even with my preferences checked. I thought it was a problem with the cable, but to double check I plugged it into a PC, and it was detected immediately. After ejecting it and putting it back into my MacBook, it started to work again.. only to stop not too long after. I checked the preferences on my laptop, and both of my parents PC's detect it. I'd like to fix this problem due to the fact that I have a few important files on it.

Also, I just left it in for a little bit longer, and a notification popped up saying something about the disk not being readable by my laptop.

Last edited by LNK12; Aug 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Added Information
LNK12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
I'd launch Disk Utility and see how the drive is initialized (e.g., HFS+, NTFS, FAT32, etc.). If it's HFS+, repair the disk using Disk Utility.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 06:54 PM   #3
LNK12
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
I'd launch Disk Utility and see how the drive is initialized (e.g., HFS+, NTFS, FAT32, etc.). If it's HFS+, repair the disk using Disk Utility.
Just tried doing that, and it won't show up in Disk Utility.
LNK12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Sounds like it has failed and needs to be sent in to Seagate.

As a rule, I never buy canned (preassembled) drives, but instead buy enclosures and hard drives separately, then assemble them myself. The reason is most external drive failures are a result of the enclosure's controller and not the hard drive. If you buy a canned drive, you cannot open it to pull the hard drive because it voids the warranty.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:29 PM   #5
silvershamrock
macrumors member

I had a similar problem with a WD drive recently. The drive was sending up error messages saying that it was not disconnected properly even though it hadn't been disconnected at all.

It turned out to be a flaw in the USB cable. I had the drive replaced, and the replacement works just fine.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air