Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Sonny Dickson shares a new high-quality video of a yellow rear shell allegedly from Apple's upcoming "iPhone 5C". Similar parts have been seen in previous video and photo leaks, but this new video provides another good closeup look at the shell, including some comparisons to other iPhone models.

Dickson has released several other photo sets of iPhone 5C rear shell parts in recent days, including green and white parts. Other photos have indicated that the device may also come in blue and red.

Apple is all but confirmed to be holding an iPhone media event on September 10, where the company is expected to introduce the iPhone 5S as the successor to its current flagship iPhone 5 model. The "iPhone 5C" may also make an appearance at the event as a lower-cost alternative that would mark a shift away from Apple's current strategy of continuing to sell older models at lower prices.

An all-new iPhone 5C could allow Apple to meet its pricing goals while unifying its lineup around 4-inch displays, Lightning ports, and perhaps LTE connectivity, features not currently offered in the iPhone 4S that would otherwise be expected to drop to Apple's lowest pricing tier upon the launch of the iPhone 5S.

Article Link: Yellow iPhone 5C Rear Shell Shown in High-Quality Video

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Apple's going to have a SKU management situation like never before if they have a ton of colors. I'd imagine there will only be one or two storage options and wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of carrier independence (a la latest iphone 5 that works for t mobile and at&t LTE).

glenbogle

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2013
Does anyone expect them to announce the 5C and the 5S at the same time? And if so, will they release them at the same time?

I can't see either happening. Surely they want a window when only the premium device is available, so all those desperate for a new phone pay top dollar.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
This does not have the usual certifications on the back like you would expect so it is either a fake or an early production test smuggled/stolen from the factory.

Why is nobody being prosecuted for all of these leaks? There are specific rules surrounding publicly traded companies and misappropriation of information.

It seems like it is getting worse each year.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
These are going to have to be build to order, correct?

There's no way, if available on major carriers, that these will be build in such an array of colors in different sizes on different carriers.

If not BTO, VZW gets red, Sprint gets yellow, etc.

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
"We started with the iPhone 5, then we made it... amazingly yellow".

Attachments

• jony-ive-10-20-09.jpg
    jony-ive-10-20-09.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 243

OlMighty

macrumors member
May 18, 2012
A leak by Sony Erickson? Oh, Sonny Dickson. That wasn't quite as interesting as I thought.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
It looks cheap all right. But I do think this is a good move from Apple, or more accurate, Apple approval to take this necessary road since they losing big time market share.

Oldschoolers

macrumors member
May 16, 2013
North Carolina
Apple's going to have a SKU management situation like never before if they have a ton of colors. I'd imagine there will only be one or two storage options and wouldn't be surprised if there was an element of carrier independence (a la latest iphone 5 that works for t mobile and at&t LTE).

Yeah I agree. It's going to be a nightmare for them.

Ventilatedbrain

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2012
Hate it .. Toys'r'us ..cheap Iphone ...stock price ... Android .. Lg cooker ...

All sound the same ...

Good move apple :)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
This does not have the usual certifications on the back like you would expect so it is either a fake or an early production test smuggled/stolen from the factory.

Why is nobody being prosecuted for all of these leaks? There are specific rules surrounding publicly traded companies and misappropriation of information.

It seems like it is getting worse each year.

Because then apple would have to admit that its real ;)

gatearray

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2010
how do you people expect it to be any cheaper if it is exactly like the 5?

Seriously, I get the feeling lots of posters around here don't really understand what a complex process it is to manufacture the iPhone 5. With so much precision metalwork that must be perfect to withstand the electron microscope test, it gets expensive.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
how do you people expect it to be any cheaper if it is exactly like the 5?

Older hardware and less costly materials. The rumors are indicating it will likely get no camera upgrade over the 5s, no Siri, slower processor and no aluminum unibody.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
It looks cheap all right. But I do think this is a good move from Apple, or more accurate, Apple approval to take this necessary road since they losing big time market share.

SJ always said he nor apple cared about market share, that they were all about creating products they wanted to themselves use. With that in mind, I don't understand the iphone 5 compromise edition...

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
aaanddd the stock price just hit $500 (nope, but close though)
always excited with the leaks leading up to the keynote.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.