Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:05 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launching Worldwide on August 15 [Update: Now Available]

Apple has just announced via its App Store Facebook page that PopCap's much-anticipated Plants vs. Zombies 2 app for iOS will be released on Thursday, August 15.

"It's about time," reads the announcement above a photo of a PvZ-style zombie hand reaching out of the dirt. "Guess what game is coming tomorrow?"

While Plants vs. Zombies 2 was originally meant to launch on July 18, PopCap opted to delay the game to implement further tweaks to its in-app purchase pricing. The game soft launched in Australia and New Zealand on July 9 for testing purposes.

Plants vs. Zombies 2 will feature the same lane defense gameplay that made the original game a hit, but it also includes time travel to all new locations. Unlike the first game, PvZ 2 will be available as a freemium title. PopCap has stated that players will be able to access "the vast majority of the game" without paying money.

The announcement does not specify the time that the game will be made available, but Thursday releases can often be downloaded on Wednesday night, at 11 p.m ET.

Update: Plants vs. Zombies 2 can now be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Plants vs. Zombies 2 Launching Worldwide on August 15 [Update: Now Available]
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:08 PM   #2
silverf1re
macrumors regular

Would have bought it for a one time upfront cost, but not with this micro-transaction crap.
silverf1re is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:10 PM   #3
Battlefield Fan
Banned

Stupid. EA ruins another game. Please keep your hands to yourself EA!!!
Battlefield Fan is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:10 PM   #4
SJism23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverf1re View Post
Would have bought it for a one time upfront cost, but not with this micro-transaction crap.
Yep. The word "freemium" turns me off from this game.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:15 PM   #5
Jab00
macrumors regular

Eh I suppose I will get it... its not like I will make it far enough into the game to need to pay anyways
Jab00 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

After the playing the early New Zealand release the freemium wasn't that bad but I expect that to change. But the game wasn't nowhere near as good as the original.
Bathplug is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:31 PM   #7
thedeejay
macrumors 6502a

I'm glad that its finally launching. I'm excited for it as PVZ 1 was a classic. I just hope EA doesn't bone us from behind for stuff like plants and other obvious upgrades.
thedeejay is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Dorkington
macrumors 6502a

There's 6 plants behind a paywall. Other than that, everything else can be unlocked via playing the game. Some levels, though, require use of powerups, and said powerups cost in game money, and in game money if you don't have enough, costs real money.

One can get plenty of play without paying, but one can't get the "complete experience" without paying. Pick your poison.

I would have paid up front for the full game, as well.
Dorkington is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:12 PM   #9
knight556
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to knight556
Day 1 of playing PvZ 2: Hated it.
Day 2: Starting to grow on me.
Day 3: Not too bad...
Day 4: Could it be better than the original...?
Day 10: I don't want to play the original game ever again.

Yes, some of the 'classic' plants are behind the pay wall, but they are mainly there for the diehard fans who want some nostalgia. There are enough new plants to try that you won't need the old ones.

Overall, there are enough new game dynamics and new tactics to learn that you really don't miss the old game. In fact, PvZ 1 seems kinda sterile and boring compared to PvZ 2.
knight556 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:13 PM   #10
alm99
macrumors 6502

Just let me pay for the game......ugh
alm99 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:20 PM   #11
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

I agree with Knight, it's actually a better game. The gameplay is more varied but it's just as polished as the original.

Are the paywall plants ridiculously expensive for what they are? Of course. Do you feel like you're missing out for not buying them? Not at all. You only need to pay if you want an easier game experience (so you can spam power ups) or you really miss the old plants.

I would have preferred the old pay model, of course, but freemium has not ruined PvZ2 in the least.
Cougarcat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverf1re View Post
So, another IAP-driven CRAP coming up? I am glad I bought the original.
50548 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:54 PM   #13
bushido
macrumors 601

i got it with my NZ account a while ago and its absolutely the worst. they try to get you addicted and than they expect you to pay something like 4 bucks for each world like wtf

EA sucks
Old Aug 14, 2013, 02:57 PM   #14
knight556
macrumors newbie

Send a message via MSN to knight556
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
i got it with my NZ account a while ago and its absolutely the worst. they try to get you addicted and than they expect you to pay something like 4 bucks for each world like wtf

EA sucks
Each world (so far) has been free. You just have to earn enough stars to unlock it...
knight556 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:23 PM   #15
iLilana
macrumors 6502a

will not buy

looked great but I don't support games with microtransactions. EA games especially.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 03:25 PM   #16
mysticbluebmw
macrumors regular

Calm down people. Those who are hating have obviously not played the game yet. I've played the entire game, and not spent one penny. I wish all freemium games were like this. You only spend money if you want to move ahead in the game w/o earning it or if you want to buy coins for cheat-nuking the screen or buying plants you otherwise can't have (these are from the 1st game and are definitely not needed). You are NOT required to spend anything, and since I paid $6.99 for the 1st game, this turned out to be great.
mysticbluebmw is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:07 PM   #17
Otis Bagotis
macrumors member

I'll reserve judgement until I actually play it.

Freemium games started out as a way for developers to nickel and dime players but I think that style is going to disappear and we'll start seeing a less intrusive IAP style.

In the end I think it'll be a win-win for both players and developers.
Otis Bagotis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:15 PM   #18
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticbluebmw View Post
Calm down people. Those who are hating have obviously not played the game yet. I've played the entire game, and not spent one penny. I wish all freemium games were like this. You only spend money if you want to move ahead in the game w/o earning it or if you want to buy coins for cheat-nuking the screen or buying plants you otherwise can't have (these are from the 1st game and are definitely not needed). You are NOT required to spend anything, and since I paid $6.99 for the 1st game, this turned out to be great.
Sounds like a levelheaded response. Were there any ads?
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:39 PM   #19
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMerik View Post
Sounds like a levelheaded response. Were there any ads?
No, there aren't any ads.
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:43 PM   #20
sekazi
macrumors 6502

Finally I will be able to rate it 1 star for the tedious work it makes you do just for being free.
sekazi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:48 PM   #21
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Just like real racing 3 you will be able to get a tweaked save which will provide you with a few million game coins.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 04:53 PM   #22
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

Can't wait to have a go. Nothing a bit of hex editing can't fix.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #23
quietstormSD
macrumors 6502a

I thought the first game had a little bit of pay content even after purchasing the game. Such as to unlock certain special mini-games etc (incase you didn't have enough coins earned during the game). But I guess it was a lot easier to get through the game without paying an extra dime for additional content, then a lot of freemium game models now have. (aka Candy Crush)

Twitter: @KarchaInSD
quietstormSD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:03 PM   #24
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a

I'll try it, but as soon as I begin to feel EA is making me grind too much to get ahead without paying, I'm done. I would've gladly paid $5 or even $10 for the game.
dampfnudel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2013, 05:58 PM   #25
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Cant wait! Its been a long time coming.
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion