Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
My iPod nano seems to have reset its clock so that the present time "4:05 pm" is set to Cupertino, California, and it does everything else around that. When I dock the iPod on my computer, it doesn't seem to make a difference. It was working before, and I set an alarm to Shanghai (which had the proper time), and the alarm worked. The next day the alarm didn't work. I checked the Clock settings and for some reason it believed that it was 11:00 or something pm in Shanghai, when it was actually 7:40 am. Cupertino, California, was the one city that had the present Shanghai time.

Because of this I took my iPod out of my pocket this afternoon to find it already playing, because it had reached what it thought was 7:40 in Shanghai. The weird thing is that I had already deleted the clocks, and it began to play anyways. Hold was on.

What can I do to change the clock to the proper settings? It is currently 4:07 pm in Shanghai, and my iPod thinks its 4:07 pm in Cupertino, and 8:08 am in Shanghai. This wouldn't be such a large problem but I use my iPod as a jukebox alarm clock. So this morning, my alarm didn't sound and I woke up 10 minutes late.

Any ideas? :confused:

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
At first, I thought your Title was ipod dock = messed.

But seriously, my second iPod was all messed up that way. Clock was bogus, would just start playing on it's own, that kind of thing. But before you jump to conclusions, make sure your computer's clock and timezone are correct. I believe the ipod imports this information.

Could it be that each time you sync, the time changes?

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
gammamonk said:
At first, I thought your Title was ipod dock = messed.

But seriously, my second iPod was all messed up that way. Clock was bogus, would just start playing on it's own, that kind of thing. But before you jump to conclusions, make sure your computer's clock and timezone are correct. I believe the ipod imports this information.

Could it be that each time you sync, the time changes?

That's what I thought. But the iMac is set to the correct timezone and city (CST, closest city, Shanghai)... my region, however, is set to Canada, because I am an expatriate, and I prefer seeing "Fri" in my menu bar instead of "Xing Qi Wu"...

I just reset my iPod—time didn't change. Docked it... time doesn't change...

It's weird. O_O

gammamonk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2004
Madison, WI
Hummmm... O__o

Well, I did have an iPod where the clock was totally unstable. Apple replaced it for me because of this, and the new one works fine. 3G 40gig.

Maybe you have a bad clock in the iPod?

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
gammamonk said:
Hummmm... O__o

Well, I did have an iPod where the clock was totally unstable. Apple replaced it for me because of this, and the new one works fine. 3G 40gig.

Maybe you have a bad clock in the iPod?

It's looking more and more like that...

For now I've just decided to stick the alarm on Cupertino, California, which is a city set to my time (even though I believe it's about 6 a.m. in Cupertino at the moment).

I've searched all over the web but no one seems to have the same problem as me...

[Edit] Never mind. Plenty of people on Apple Discussions have the problem. For some people, simply resetting or docking the iPod fixes the problem. For others, like me, it does not.

I hope Apple soon addresses this hideously obvious bug...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.