Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WorldTravelBro

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 29, 2012
The imac is still added to my apple.com shopping cart. I here a new haswell or even a retina upgrade will come out.

I don't know what to do I am getting serious anxiety attacks and I feel stressed all day.

How do you guys control these feelings? Do I buy it now or wait?:(

Sputnek

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
Florida - Ohio
If you aren't the type of person who gets depressed because they didn't wait for possible minimum refreshed updates, I would just go ahead and buy if it's causing you anxiety. Also go and see your GP (general practitioner) about your anxiety, sounds sort of serious.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
I read that haswell on the desktop is not that big. Its revolutionary because it managed to suck less power and had great integrated graphics, so this helped out the Airs and rMBP a lot.....

...but as you see, these 2 are moot points on a desktop. So its only a small incremental speed upgrade for the imacs.

If you are shaking, you can pick it up and you wont be missing much in the refresh. My opinion at least.

JustMartin

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2012
UK
usual message - if you need a new iMac, get one. If you don't need one, wait. And don't get confused about the difference between 'want' and 'need', many people do. Sounds like you just want a new iMac quite a lot. So, relax and get a new one when it comes out.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I read that haswell on the desktop is not that big. Its revolutionary because it managed to suck less power and had great integrated graphics, so this helped out the Airs and rMBP a lot.....

...but as you see, these 2 are moot points on a desktop. So its only a small incremental speed upgrade for the imacs.

If you are shaking, you can pick it up and you wont be missing much in the refresh. My opinion at least.

In fact the power consumption of the Haswell desktop parts is actually *higher* than that of Ivybridge (bizarrely). So even any thought of power saving / green issues / electricity cost etc goes out of the window.

The only benefit is a 2.9% CPU speed improvement. Of course most operations are not only CPU bottlenecked, so +2.9% would be the best you'd see and usually less than that. i.e. undetectable unless you are trying to specifcially measure it.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
I'm curious where all these rumours are coming from of a Haswell update. There hasn't been a single thing on here with any credit or foundation, in fact it seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking by different posters.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
The imac is still added to my apple.com shopping cart. I here a new haswell or even a retina upgrade will come out.

I don't know what to do I am getting serious anxiety attacks and I feel stressed all day.

How do you guys control these feelings? Do I buy it now or wait?:(

If you're serious about the level of stress and anxiety, I would suggest that the response is beyond reasonable limits. If the magnitude of the response to such to a relatively unimportant event is so acute...how do you respond to truly important issues?

You might want to evaluate your own responses and decide if you feel these responses are excessive and deserving of some attention.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
If you are holding off for haswell do not bother with minor changes, I would buy now, besides it seems next years iMac will be getting the biggest changes I.e faster USB 3.0 and an up to thunderbolt 2 you might as well wait for ever.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
I'm curious where all these rumours are coming from of a Haswell update. There hasn't been a single thing on here with any credit or foundation, in fact it seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking by different posters.

There's not. Welcome to MacRumors.

dextr3k

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2012
Well, seeing how it has ivybridge right now, haswell is the next iteration.

Not so much a rumor, just logical prediction. Its like saying iphone 5 has a6 right now, so logically, iphone 5s will probably have a7.

But you are right, it could be possible that haswell doesnt make it into this refresh.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Anxiety attacks over a computer that you seem to be able to afford but you're afraid you won't get the latest and greatest?

Technology evolves. You can wait for the next one but you will always be waiting for the next one. Let us hope you have better control of more important things in your life.

fig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
Austin, TX
Yeah, I saw that - just thought I'd share the link re: why people are thinking August is it.

It really seems as though Ming-Chi Kuo has no freakin' clue and is predicting "next month is the month!" every damn month.

Oh well.

And sooner or later he'll go "See! I was right!" :)

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Go outside, talk a walk, hang with friends, explore new places.

There's more to life than Apple computers.

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
And sooner or later he'll go "See! I was right!" :)

:D

You know what? I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual source for Kuo's predictions... Just various rumor sites saying "KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts new Mac Pro will be made from Styrofoam and will sparkle in direct sunlight" or whatever. I'm starting to wonder if he's a meme.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
:D

You know what? I'm not sure I've ever seen an actual source for Kuo's predictions... Just various rumor sites saying "KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts new Mac Pro will be made from Styrofoam and will sparkle in direct sunlight" or whatever. I'm starting to wonder if he's a meme.

Ha!

He's connected to the supply chain, and knows a great deal about when things are actually being made. Any launch date predictions from him involve a ouiji board and a dart board, but they're not completely baseless.

OP: There's nothing in the upcoming release really worth waiting for.. unless single digit performance boosts and minor technology changes you'll very rarely take advantage of excite you, the only reason to wait is to get a better price on the 2012s.

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
Ha!

He's connected to the supply chain, and knows a great deal about when things are actually being made. Any launch date predictions from him involve a ouiji board and a dart board, but they're not completely baseless.

OP: There's nothing in the upcoming release really worth waiting for.. unless single digit performance boosts and minor technology changes you'll very rarely take advantage of excite you, the only reason to wait is to get a better price on the 2012s.

Not to argue, but isn't 802.11ac worth the wait?

I think the OP's issue isn't technology-related, though. Probably worth considering a little therapy.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Not to argue, but isn't 802.11ac worth the wait?

Probably not for most people. My iMac sits right above my router and takes a gigabit Ethernet connection, so ac is moot. I took an inventory of everything I expect to buy in the next year that would support ac, and came up with an empty list (not even Xbox One). So there's no point in even buying a new router.

I imagine many people are in the same situation, and won't really be using the new standard for at least 2-3 yrs, by which time they might be planning for a 2016 retina iMac.

Erphern

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2013
UK
Probably not for most people. My iMac sits right above my router and takes a gigabit Ethernet connection, so ac is moot. I took an inventory of everything I expect to buy in the next year that would support ac, and came up with an empty list (not even Xbox One). So there's no point in even buying a new router.

I imagine many people are in the same situation, and won't really be using the new standard for at least 2-3 yrs, by which time they might be planning for a 2016 retina iMac.

Fair enough.

I bought an AirPort Extreme last week, and so I'm pretty much waiting for Haswell just to buy a device that'll theoretically utilize the available bandwidth, although I'm sure I won't ever know the difference.

I can't think of any other devices in the house that'll support ac, either. Maybe the new iPhone?

It's a weak excuse for waiting, but I'm clinging on to it for a while.

ioannis2005gr

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
Europe
Fair enough.

I bought an AirPort Extreme last week, and so I'm pretty much waiting for Haswell just to buy a device that'll theoretically utilize the available bandwidth, although I'm sure I won't ever know the difference.

I can't think of any other devices in the house that'll support ac, either. Maybe the new iPhone?

It's a weak excuse for waiting, but I'm clinging on to it for a while.

wait until Apple replaces LG iMac 27 inch panel with something better....or buy an 21.5 inch iMac along with an extended warranty (just in case).....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.