Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mafamaticks

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
I'm pretty certain that my machine is compromised.

Let me state before hand I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to proper PC use. I don't download and install everything I see, I carefully read install prompts to make sure I don't install bloatware, and I haven't run AV on any of my Windows PCs for years because I know what's safe and what isn't.

This morning my PC was acting funny and then I noticed the mouse moving by itself and the screen switching by itself as well.

I have an 09 Aluminum MacBook and this my first instance of anything weird. I'm pretty certain I'm just going to have to format it and start over. I haven't installed anything recently so who knows how long I've been compromised and what info the hackers have. I'm afraid of putting it back on the network.

Just wanted to see if anything was out there that Mac users are aware of. Well I have an excuse to buy a SSD drive now.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
Is it possible that someone has had physical access to your Mac? That's by far the most likely explanation, rather than some vector through a network connection.

1. Go to System Preferences > Sharing, and make sure Screen Sharing and anything with "Remote" in the name is OFF.
2. Change your password.
3. Request username and password at login, also when screensaver is woken.

If you still feel that your Mac is compromised in some way, then you should reinstall the OS after wiping the drive. And be careful not to restore any LaunchAgents, LaunchDaemons, Login Items, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.