Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Nov 18, 2005, 09:32 AM   #1
fyrmedic
macrumors member

how will intel macs effect old ones.

I have a 4year old power book and a new PMg5 dual core. will i still be able to use software once mac starts production of the intel macs
fyrmedic is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2005, 09:34 AM   #2
MacTruck
Banned

Send a message via AIM to MacTruck
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmedic
I have a 4year old power book and a new PMg5 dual core. will i still be able to use software once mac starts production of the intel macs

Well you can use your existing softare forever. You can buy new software for I would say 4 yrs after apple goes to intel but after that it would be time to abondon the risc platform.
MacTruck is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2005, 05:58 PM   #3
fyrmedic
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck
Well you can use your existing softare forever. You can buy new software for I would say 4 yrs after apple goes to intel but after that it would be time to abondon the risc platform.
is that typical support for a big hardware change? does mac quit updating older software...IE panther after a certian period..upgrade or die?
fyrmedic is offline   0
Old Nov 18, 2005, 06:08 PM   #4
kgarner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrmedic
is that typical support for a big hardware change? does mac quit updating older software...IE panther after a certian period..upgrade or die?
Apple hasn't updated Panther since Tiger came out. They were at version 10.3.9 when Tiger was released. And it's still there. Apple's universal binaries will help keep software compatible with PPCs for the forseeable future, but 4-5 years from now is an eternity in computer terms.

As was stated previously, if you never upgrade your software, you can use your computer unitl it becomes irrepairable. If you continue to upgrade your system and applications, you will eventually hit a point where your computer can't cut it anymore.
kgarner is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers