Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lesliewj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2013
Does anybody use the function of dictation here? What do you think? How about the accuration?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
How about the accuration?
Are you using it now...? :p **

In the few builds that Enhanced Dictation worked, it worked very well for me, with a very high accuracy. I plan to use it a lot once it's fixed. ED reveals each word at a time, so you can see its success as you go along. Normal Dictation reveals the whole sentence when you've finished, which is sub-optimal IMO.
I don't know if there's a way to "backtrack" and try a word again. That would be awesome.

** Apologies -- on this forum, you are allowed and even encouraged to correct the code that we use to communicate with computers, in order to increase efficiency and understanding; but it is forbidden to correct the code that we use to communicate with each other.

kftrainer

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2009

In the few builds that Enhanced Dictation worked, it worked very well for me, with a very high accuracy. I plan to use it a lot once it's fixed. ED reveals each word at a time, so you can see its success as you go along. Normal Dictation reveals the whole sentence when you've finished, which is sub-optimal IMO.
I don't know if there's a way to "backtrack" and try a word again. That would be awesome.

** Apologies -- on this forum, you are allowed and even encouraged to correct the code that we use to communicate with computers, in order to increase efficiency and understanding; but it is forbidden to correct the code that we use to communicate with each other.

I hoping the next build fixes that bug in the Enhanced version of dictation

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Enhanced Dictation isn't working in DP5 even after downloading the 768MB offline file. Unless it's gets some new "editing" features it will always be just another gimmick that people will seldom use. (Like Siri).

Note: queue all the Siri-apologists here.

lesliewj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2013

Hi thanks for sharing your experience with me, by the way when you say breeze and breathe, can the system distinguish between them?

mirzank

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
i havent used the enhanced dictation because i thought, like ios, online dictation would be more accurate. well i tried it a few times and its ridiculously inaccurate.

i can see dictation for sms and small messages being fine but anything other than that is ridiculous. even on ios the few times i tried dictating to siri it was a complete waste because i'd have to make enough edits that it wold have been been faster to type the message.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
I actually use Siri a lot - especially when driving. She is way to nice though, when I get pissed at her screw-ups and call her a stupid, worthless, ***** C.
You do realize you're just insulting a bunch of algorithms on Apple's servers, right?

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
You do realize you're just insulting a bunch of algorithms on Apple's servers, right?

Ya think? Still makes me feel better ... and I'm betting that insults to such algorithms will get flagged as stuff that needs more work. Who knows, maybe my vulgar language will help lead to a better Siri.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
... and I'm betting that insults to such algorithms will get flagged as stuff that needs more work.

No, that is most certainly not going to get flagged as anything other than you cursing. It's probably going to get ignored

Who knows, maybe my vulgar language will help lead to a better Siri.

Given how easy it is to curse at Siri for no reason at all, I bet they largely get ignored since they cannot really determine the reason of your cursing. About the only way to improve it is via repetition which they are most likely to flag

That is if thats how their flagging works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.