Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 15, 2013, 11:49 AM   #1
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

What you have to deal with when you open carry...

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/bell...city-co/nZPdj/

He was just walking down the street minding his own business.
Personally I think $15,000 was way to little.

Quote:
"Laigaie knew that Washington is an "open carry" state where it is allowed. He even offered the officer, Allen Bass, a copy of that law when Bass asked for his identification. When Laigaie refused to hand over his ID, he said the officer pulled out his own weapon and pointed it at him. "A couple of times, he had it right in my chest and that was 6, 7 inches from muzzle to flesh," Laigaie said. Laigaie demanded that the officer put the weapon away. "I wasn't breaking the law, I was well within the law and he had no right to do that. I don't like being bullied," he said."
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:02 PM   #2
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

This is great news. Now felons, those with out of state ID, and even illegals can walk around with weapons openly and not have to worry about police checking for legitimacy.

Since everyone is toting, who needs police anyways.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:05 PM   #3
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
Since everyone is toting, who needs police anyways.
EXACTLY!

We just need more paramedics.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:06 PM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Boohoo.

Think if he hadn't been white, he would have experienced far worse that having a gun pointed at him.

Listen, this may come as a surprise to gun nuts, but I can assure you that the vast majority of people don't want anyone walking around them with guns at all. It's just basic courtesy, the basis of which makes a civilised society.

Recently, a bunch of idiots decided to descend on Starbucks in Sandy Hook to celebrate their rights, just miles from where those schoolkids were massacred. The store closed early so the losers and their guns had to stand outside in the rain.

Do what you want within the law and this also goes for the first amendment but don't expect people to like you or even respect you for it. Why people expect admiration for acting like inconsiderate arseholes is a constant surprise to me.
Blue Velvet is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:07 PM   #5
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Why people expect admiration for acting like inconsiderate arseholes is a constant surprise to me.
I think there is a clue in the word "inconsiderate".
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:08 PM   #6
xShane
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Boohoo.

Think if he hadn't been white, he would have experienced far worse that having a gun pointed at him.

Listen, this may come as a surprise to gun nuts, but I can assure you that the vast majority of people don't want anyone walking around them with guns at all. It's just basic courtesy, the basis of which makes a civilised society.

Recently, a bunch of idiots decided to descend on Starbucks in Sandy Hook to celebrate their rights, just miles from where those schoolkids were massacred. The store closed early so the losers and their guns had to stand outside in the rain.

Do what you want within the law and this also goes for the first amendment but don't expect people to like you or even respect you for it. Why people expect admiration for acting like inconsiderate arseholes is a constant surprise to me.
Exactly. There's those types of people that intentionally push the boundaries of their legal rights. Cops can play ball, too

"Be the change that you wish to see in the world."
xShane is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:16 PM   #7
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Boohoo.

Do what you want within the law — and this also goes for the first amendment — but don't expect people to like you or even respect you for it. Why people expect admiration for acting like inconsiderate arseholes is a constant surprise to me.
It was all Starbucks. Just not the one in "Sandy Hook". On that Friday I even went to my locale Starbucks with my firearm on my side, I normally carry concealed. I even paid with a few two dollar bills.

If you were to listen to the gun grabber-nuts with all these pro-gun people carrying firearms into all these Starbucks it should have been a blood bath. I didn't hear of a single issue.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xShane View Post
Exactly. There's those types of people that intentionally push the boundaries of their legal rights. Cops can play ball, too
I wouldn't call exercising their Constitutional rights as "the boundaries of their legal rights".
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:29 PM   #8
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
I think there is a clue in the word "inconsiderate".

Feeling some degree of failure.

I thought arseholes was the giveaway. Must try harder.

Men (by and large) with guns: nobody wants you in their peaceful business, where they're shopping, playing and chilling. Piss right off and go stroke your barrels somewhere where you can admire each other.
Blue Velvet is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Men (by and large) with guns: nobody wants you in their peaceful business, where they're shopping, playing and chilling. Piss right off and go stroke your barrels somewhere where you can admire each other.
Thankfully I don't have to listen to your kind.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:42 PM   #10
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostngone View Post
Thankfully, reading the comments is enough.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:44 PM   #11
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

The cop should have said he smelled marijuana and then cavity searched him.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 12:47 PM   #12
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

Huh? You just read, quoted and responded to me.

Outstanding job on not listening to me. Impressive!
Blue Velvet is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:52 PM   #13
VulchR
macrumors 68000

One of the bullet points from the article the OP quoted stating where guns cannot be carried: '- Public mental health facilities or bars.' Seem to me that bars deserve their own bullet point.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:00 PM   #14
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
One of the bullet points from the article the OP quoted stating where guns cannot be carried: '- Public mental health facilities or bars.' Seem to me that bars deserve their own bullet point.
Don't worry! In many states here that bullet point isn't even necessary!

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html
http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...rs-restaurants
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:19 PM   #15
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdowns View Post
The cop should have said he smelled marijuana and then cavity searched him.
Hah!

The same conservatives who gave a big "meh" to New York's Stop and Frisk have their dander mussed when it comes to this Wash. resident who refused to give the cop an ID.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:22 PM   #16
bradl
macrumors 68030

Wait.. the OP is complaining about the hardships he has to go through because he is carrying a gun?!? Talk about a sense of entitlement.

BL.
bradl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:02 PM   #17
lostngone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
Wait.. the OP is complaining about the hardships he has to go through because he is carrying a gun?!? Talk about a sense of entitlement.

BL.
"entitlement" as in my Constitutional Right to bear arms?

This guy wasn't breaking the law in any way. Yet the Police found it necessary to point a gun at him for doing nothing other then walk his dog.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:11 PM   #18
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:

This guy wasn't breaking the law in any way. Yet the Police found it necessary to point a gun at him for doing nothing other then walk his dog.
Dog-Walking with Intent.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:17 PM   #19
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68040

Quote:

But yet unarmed people get the same treatment and sometimes worst for refusing an Officer's request. They surely don't get any $15,000 settlements. The settlement in this case was purely out of fear for the NRA, nothing more or less.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:33 PM   #20
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:

Gun rights supporters want to draw this into a discussion about open carry because it gives them a comfortable ground to fight from. But, this situation was created by law and order conservatives who codified "stop and identify" laws.

Modern conservatives sneer at the ACLU, even though the group fought against the requirement to identify, and cheer for the NRA which pushed hard for anti-crime laws even as they ensured that weaponry would be openly and widely available.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:42 PM   #21
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Feeling some degree of failure.

I thought arseholes was the giveaway. Must try harder.

I do. It would be dumb for me to exude someone at a place of business. After all I am trying to make money, and the more people the better.
tshrimp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #22
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:

No, the cop didn't point a gun at him for "doing nothing other than walking his dog."

He pointed a gun at him for being armed and not complying with a police officer's orders. Big difference.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:49 PM   #23
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:

You miss the point. It isn't the carrying your gun that is the problem. It is the complaining about your hardship because you are carrying a gun that is the problem. You are carrying a gun! what possible reason do you need to complain 'oh woe is me!' about?

If you were homeless because the wife took everything including your house, car, kids, and force you to pay child support because you were overseas in the military, and the gun was your only remaining possession, you may have something. But just because you are exercising that right doesn't mean that you need to complain because you are exercising that right. That is your sense of entitlement that needs a straightening out.

BL.
bradl is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:59 PM   #24
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
No, the cop didn't point a gun at him for "doing nothing other than walking his dog."

He pointed a gun at him for being armed and not complying with a police officer's orders. Big difference.
So its not okay to argue with a LEO when you are stopped without probable cause? Not only is it okay to argue, it is our duty. The Police should never be above the law, and should never be able to take away our rights that are on the books as law. If you don't like guns, then fine, but this person was not breaking any laws and the officer was out of line...hence the $15,000.
tshrimp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:01 PM   #25
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
So its not okay to argue with a LEO when you are stopped without probable cause? Not only is it okay to argue, it is our duty. The Police should never be above the law, and should never be able to take away our rights that are on the books as law. If you don't like guns, then fine, but this person was not breaking any laws and the officer was out of line...hence the $15,000.
Go make that argument in the search thread.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues