Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 15, 2013, 01:20 PM   #1
chumawumba
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
An app icon I made

So I am trying to make an icon which conforms to the iOS 7 UI. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon mockup.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	428553   Click image for larger version

Name:	iconlogo.png
Views:	45
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	428554  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
Parkin Pig
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Yorkshire, the starting grid of the 2014 Tour de France
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
So I am trying to make an icon which conforms to the iOS 7 UI. What do you guys think?
First off it doesn't conform to the iOS 7 UI because it has square corners.

Also - what sort of an app is it an icon for? An icon should be indicative of the app it represents. It would be easier to give a constructive response if you mentioned the purpose of this 'icon'.

Basically what you've done there is draw a circle inside a square.
Parkin Pig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:41 PM   #3
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkin Pig View Post
First off it doesn't conform to the iOS 7 UI because it has square corners.

Also - what sort of an app is it an icon for? An icon should be indicative of the app it represents. It would be easier to give a constructive response if you mentioned the purpose of this 'icon'.

Basically what you've done there is draw a circle inside a square.

All apps have square corners until the icon mask is given. And the app is supposed to be a timer.
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:46 AM   #4
DUCKofD3ATH
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
So I am trying to make an icon which conforms to the iOS 7 UI. What do you guys think?
Poor contrast between the circle and background. Leave the circle alone, except add something that indicates a timing function (circular arrow or SOMETHING). Lighten the background to about 20% of what it is now.

That'll do for starters.
DUCKofD3ATH is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 04:45 PM   #5
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCKofD3ATH View Post
Poor contrast between the circle and background. Leave the circle alone, except add something that indicates a timing function (circular arrow or SOMETHING). Lighten the background to about 20% of what it is now.

That'll do for starters.
Here is my second go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon try 2.png
Views:	28
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	428739  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
So I am trying to make an icon which conforms to the iOS 7 UI. What do you guys think?
The circle part of the icon is too small to match the new iOS 7 app icon grid.
__________________
dejo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 11:30 AM   #7
TheGenerous
macrumors 6502a
 
TheGenerous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: I'm an Austronaut
First try is bad. Second one is much better, looks like there's an idea behind.
Keep iterating, that seems to be working.
__________________
I have a cool Alf picture in my profile!
TheGenerous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:01 PM   #8
Alvi
macrumors 65816
 
Alvi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mars
The second logo looks much better, I would still add another arrow so it really makes me think that's a clock somehow. Maybe a lateral crown gear?
__________________
15" rMacBook Pro i7 - 16GB - GT 750M + iPhone 5S 32GB + iPad Air LTE 128GB
Windows: i7-4770k - 16GB - GTX 780 - BitFenix Prodigy PC
Alvi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:46 AM   #9
xArtx
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I think start with the first one, and add something like in the second one,
rather than get rid of the brushed finish (if it shows up on the springboard).
xArtx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 09:55 AM   #10
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Thanks for your guys's tips. This is my third go, and I even put the icon grid so you guys can see where everything is. (Don't worry, the grid will be gone in the actual icon.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon 2 rev 1 with grid.png
Views:	29
Size:	140.7 KB
ID:	429078  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:13 AM   #11
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Thanks for your guys's tips. This is my third go, and I even put the icon grid so you guys can see where everything is. (Don't worry, the grid will be gone in the actual icon.)
That text is going to be unreadable when it's 3mm across
gwelmarten is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 10:58 AM   #12
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
That text is going to be unreadable when it's 3mm across
Good point. I'll make it thicker.
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:28 PM   #13
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Take 4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon 2 rev 2.png
Views:	24
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	429100  
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Menge
macrumors 6502a
 
Menge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brazil
Avoid text in icons at all costs. There will be the App's name written below it already.
__________________
Menge - 2011 2.3GHz 13" MBP - 16GB iPhone 5 - 32GB iPad WiFi+4G - 8GB iPod Nano - AEBS
Menge is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 12:56 PM   #15
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
Avoid text in icons at all costs. There will be the App's name written below it already.
You gotta be kidding
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	timer apps.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	429104  
chumawumba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 02:14 PM   #16
Menge
macrumors 6502a
 
Menge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
You gotta be kidding
Nope. Not kidding. The thing in common with those icons (at least the ones that have more than one letter in them) is that they're HIDEOUS. Even Apple themselves talk about how you shouldn't have text.
__________________
Menge - 2011 2.3GHz 13" MBP - 16GB iPhone 5 - 32GB iPad WiFi+4G - 8GB iPod Nano - AEBS
Menge is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 03:04 PM   #17
gwelmarten
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menge View Post
Nope. Not kidding. The thing in common with those icons (at least the ones that have more than one letter in them) is that they're HIDEOUS. Even Apple themselves talk about how you shouldn't have text.
Agreed. I was lucky enough to be at wwdc and this was a big theme there.

As a side note, your screenshot shows a lot of timers. You know we don't let duplicate apps on the App Store, or anything that just duplicates functionality? I hope yours isn't just another app that will clutter the store and confuse customers / offer nothing new?
gwelmarten is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 04:12 PM   #18
doug in albq
macrumors 65816
 
doug in albq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
...You know we don't let duplicate apps on the App Store, or anything that just duplicates functionality? I hope yours isn't just another app that will clutter the store and confuse customers / offer nothing new?
um...not so much.
__________________
http://dougitdesign.com
doug in albq is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:15 PM   #19
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwelmarten View Post
Agreed. I was lucky enough to be at wwdc and this was a big theme there.

As a side note, your screenshot shows a lot of timers. You know we don't let duplicate apps on the App Store, or anything that just duplicates functionality? I hope yours isn't just another app that will clutter the store and confuse customers / offer nothing new?
What about this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon 3.png
Views:	27
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	429133  
chumawumba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:33 PM   #20
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
That's better, but while it makes me think of clock, it doesn't make me think of timer. Try replacing the twelve o'clock marking with a dot and maybe even make it a different color. It tells the viewer that once the hand gets to that dot something will happen. Also, that hand needs to be thicker. It's far too narrow to be seen easily. Especially against that background. You're definitely on to something though. I think you're getting closer.
__________________
13" White Macbook, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HD, 22" external monitor, 320 GB Firewire scratch disc, 2 TB partitioned expansion/backup HD; iPad 2, 64 GB, 3G; iPhone 4S, 16 GB.
kevinfulton.ca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:12 AM   #21
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
That's better, but while it makes me think of clock, it doesn't make me think of timer. Try replacing the twelve o'clock marking with a dot and maybe even make it a different color. It tells the viewer that once the hand gets to that dot something will happen. Also, that hand needs to be thicker. It's far too narrow to be seen easily. Especially against that background. You're definitely on to something though. I think you're getting closer.
Something like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon 4.png
Views:	14
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	429204  
chumawumba is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:15 AM   #22
dejo
Moderator
 
dejo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: The Centennial State
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Something like this?
Think about what's going to happen to the hand and the dot when you downsize the image (which is how it will be viewed most of the time, as a small icon on springboard). Unless you plan on making a different version for smaller sizes...
Attached Images
 
__________________
dejo is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:36 AM   #23
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumawumba View Post
Something like this?
Something like that, but using green for the dot is going to make it extremely hard to see once it's been shrunk down. I'd also go for a little bolder and rounder with the hand.
__________________
13" White Macbook, 4 GB RAM, 500GB HD, 22" external monitor, 320 GB Firewire scratch disc, 2 TB partitioned expansion/backup HD; iPad 2, 64 GB, 3G; iPhone 4S, 16 GB.
kevinfulton.ca is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:37 AM   #24
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
Think about what's going to happen to the hand and the dot when you downsize the image (which is how it will be viewed most of the time, as a small icon on springboard). Unless you plan on making a different version for smaller sizes...
That is true, but the retina display does do a good job of capturing details in icons.
chumawumba is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:49 AM   #25
chumawumba
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ask the NSA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
Something like that, but using green for the dot is going to make it extremely hard to see once it's been shrunk down. I'd also go for a little bolder and rounder with the hand.
I decided to remove the dot completely
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	icon 5.png
Views:	20
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	429211  
chumawumba is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Must press centre of app icon to open app? thatsmega.net iOS 7 1 Sep 25, 2013 03:22 PM
iPhone: 100+ Beautiful iOS Icon Maker and Free iOS App Icon Templates mattdog UI Customization 0 Aug 8, 2013 11:26 AM
iPhone: Battery Icon app and clock icon Pinkstiletto66 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 11 May 15, 2013 06:08 PM
iPhone: App to replace LS Camera icon w/ Flashlight icon HickDead Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 6 Feb 3, 2013 05:09 PM
Used fluid to make new app from a web page - icon not showing in app folder snowydog Mac OS X 10.7 Lion 0 Jul 31, 2012 10:18 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC