Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:21 PM   #1
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Rodeo Clowns Wears Obama Mask; NAACP Calls for Fed Investigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingtonTimes.com
The Missouri chapter of the NAACP appealed for the U.S. Department of Justice and the Secret Service to launch an investigation and open a federal case against the rodeo clown who donned a mask of President Obama’s face and mocked with the crowd: Do you want to see a bull run down Mr. Obama?
Sounds like the real clowns are at the NAACP.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...igate-rodeo-c/
ucfgrad93 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Sounds like the real clowns are at the NAACP.

Why exactly? What's the point of this thread? What's your specific problem with their views? Do you think that the clown at the rodeo did a good thing? Do you think his being sacked was justified?

I'm not going to read the Washington Times to try and understand why you have raised the topic, because it's not going to tell me what you think.

Explain it in your own words, but try and be clear. Take your time. But let's hear it.
Blue Velvet is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:35 PM   #3
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post
Why exactly? What's the point of this thread? What's your specific problem with their views? Do you think that the clown at the rodeo did a good thing? Do you think his being sacked was justified?

I'm not going to read the Washington Times to try and understand why you have raised the topic, because it's not going to tell me what you think.

Explain it in your own words, but try and be clear. Take your time. But let's hear it.
While I admit it is tasteless, there should not be a Federal investigation because some clown (literally) wore an Obama mask. Why didn't the NAACP call for investigations when people wore Bush masks, burned Bush in effigy, etc.

More race baiting from the NAACP, pure and simple.

Clear enough for you?
ucfgrad93 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:45 PM   #4
SwiftLives
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via AIM to SwiftLives
Quote:
While I admit it is tasteless, there should not be a Federal investigation because some clown (literally) wore an Obama mask. Why didn't the NAACP call for investigations when people wore Bush masks, burned Bush in effigy, etc.

Clear enough for you?
I dunno...maybe because Bush isn't black? The NAACP isn't terribly concerned with oppression of those who traditionally were the oppressors. Secondly, there's never been a systematic institutional marginalization of rich white people in this country. So the Obama mask incident - intentional or not - carries with it some much darker implications.

It's virtually impossible to distinguish between whether or a person dislikes the president because he a member of the opposing party or because he's black. I tend to give the benefit of the doubt and hope it's the former.

But regardless of which party and which race the president is, this should not ever happen at a freakin' public state fair.

Last edited by SwiftLives; Aug 15, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
SwiftLives is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Why didn't the NAACP call for investigations when people wore Bush masks, burned Bush in effigy, etc.

Because they're the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People... not the National Association for the Advancement of the White Wealthy Male Heirs of the Bush Walker family.

Don't you think that the clue's in their name? The NAACP, like many other groups, is a lobbying and pressure group, raising awareness in their field of interest in order to educate, influence and affect government and society. In order to do that, like many other groups on all spectrums, they employ and put forward seemingly strong views in order to:

a) Create some noise, which you've helped them to do.
b) And to move the needle just a little.

Sounds to me like you're criticising them for doing what they do. They're the NAACP, that's what they do. You sound surprised. And my reply would be... so damned what? Dog bites man; where's the story?
Blue Velvet is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:21 PM   #6
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Why didn't the NAACP call for investigations when people wore Bush masks, burned Bush in effigy, etc.

Clear enough for you?
Wait - people in Bush masks were burning him in effigy at an event put on by the local government on government property all paid for with tax money?
FreeState is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:21 PM   #7
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Clear enough for you?
I think I'm on your side here. Although I think its worse when things like this happen to Obama than Bush because I truly believe much of it is grounded in racism and not politics (and I'm someone who just wrote a enough with the finding racism in everything post in another thread), an investigation just sounds like overkill. We don;t need to investigate to know that some people do stupid, inappropriate things; I really think that this is bit of a stretch: "The NAACP says the clown was guilty of inciting violence against the president." and the clown who did is banned for life, right?
End of story, I think...
Mac'nCheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 03:57 PM   #8
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
Wait - people in Bush masks were burning him in effigy at an event put on by the local government on government property all paid for with tax money?
ThisIsNotMe is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:09 PM   #9
prostuff1
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsNotMe View Post
Thank you for posting that. I thought I remembered something about this happening only the clown was wearing a Bush mask.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

If Trayvon Martin shouldn't have worn a hoodie, then it's not so inexcusable to say a Rodeo Clown shouldn't wear an Obama mask.

I love it when people make so much sense at one situation, only to contradict their own sense in another.

You had Fox News and it's followers stating that Blacks should be careful what they wear, but when it comes to this situation, now it's all about freedom.

Hypocrisy much?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 04:51 PM   #11
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Velvet View Post

Quote:

Clear enough for you?
I think the admission that it was tasteless was an entirely unnecessary concession to political correctness. What's tasteless about mocking a president (and a rather poor one at that)? Mockery of political figures is in the best tradition of Americana.

What is tasteless is the race-baiting and biased response of the NAACP. But I can understand it. The NAACP is an anachronistic organization looking for a way to maintain relevancy by irresponsibly propagating the "victim-status" dead letter - an unfortunate classic example of the lack of real leadership in our community.

>
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:06 PM   #12
hulugu
macrumors 68000

First, two notes.

One, this wasn't a request by the national NAACP, but by a state chapter. The primary source of this is Ozark's First and the OP source is the Washington Times. The first isn't known and the second has the credible of a ham salad sandwich.

So, let's make sure we keep that in mind during the discussion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishMacGuy View Post
I think the admission that it was tasteless was an entirely unnecessary concession to political correctness. What's tasteless about mocking a president (and a rather poor one at that)? Mockery of political figures is in the best tradition of Americana.
Oh, don't make me do this.

I agree. If the mocking was based on the president's race, I'd be more supportive of the Missouri NAACP chapter, but this is reaching.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:21 PM   #13
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulugu View Post

Oh, don't make me do this.

I agree. If the mocking was based on the president's race, I'd be more supportive of the Missouri NAACP chapter, but this is reaching.
When you have the general Right Wing saying and/or supporting statements like .... Obama is an illegal, Go back home, Osama Barack, Welfare president, and countless other things,then what reaction do you expect from the NAACP when an arena of mostly Right Winged features an Obama masked rodeo clown?
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:34 PM   #14
hulugu
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
When you have the general Right Wing saying and/or supporting statements like .... Obama is an illegal, Go back home, Osama Barack, Welfare president, and countless other things,then what reaction do you expect from the NAACP when an arena of mostly Right Winged features an Obama masked rodeo clown?
The NAACP understands that a rodeo clown is a meaningless statement of pretend offense and ignores it because there are vastly more important things to work on, like protecting voters from new voting rights restrictions or endemic poverty, or a hundred other more important subjects that they can't work on if they pursue the above argument.

Knuckle-dragging arguments aside, the Missouri chapter wants to spend some of its political clout going after a rodeo clown and the announcer for a meaningless offense.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:47 PM   #15
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

So has it come to the point where a white comedian can't poke fun at a black man but white people can be bashed all day by a black man?
SNL has been doin presidential skits for years, dont see anyone attacking them. As I believe racism exists in this country, most of it is because some want it that way. JMO.
JohnLT13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:06 PM   #16
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I'd say I'm one of the more liberal posters on this site, and even I think this is much ado about nothing. Certainly doesn't invite a federal investigation, not in the slightest.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:15 PM   #17
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
So has it come to the point where a white comedian can't poke fun at a black man but white people can be bashed all day by a black man?
White comedians make fun of blacks plenty of times, and as long as it's just comedy blacks don't have a problem with it.

Here's just one example ..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB1d2WZIfmU

Then you have plenty of white comedians who made fun of blacks on Def Comedy Jam and Comic View. I've seen Asian and Hispanic comedians poke fun at blacks too. Even Robin Williams does a black women impersonation.

Those who believe blacks don't like to poked at in comedy is really out of touch with reality. In fact that's just another stereotype.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:18 PM   #18
jav6454
macrumors G5

Quote:

Clear enough for you?
I'm agreeing completely with this assessment. The NAACP has played the racial card for too long.
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:19 PM   #19
maxosx
macrumors 68020

It's the Post PC era, no one has a sense of humor. Time for another late night show appearance
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:32 PM   #20
SMDBill
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVEFRMNYC View Post
If Trayvon Martin shouldn't have worn a hoodie, then it's not so inexcusable to say a Rodeo Clown shouldn't wear an Obama mask.

I love it when people make so much sense at one situation, only to contradict their own sense in another.

You had Fox News and it's followers stating that Blacks should be careful what they wear, but when it comes to this situation, now it's all about freedom.

Hypocrisy much?
What?? None of what you wrote made sense. The Rodeo Clown was attempting to be humorous in a crowd of people who expected him to be there in the rodeo ring, with the mask intended, rather inappropriately, to be the joke. No danger, no racism...he was just a big caricature of the president plain and simple. The NAACP made it a racial issue by inserting themselves. We have nothing to suggest the clown meant to demean or belittle President Obama because of his race.

Your other claim about Trayvon shouldn't have worn a hoodie...really? ANY person in that situation would have appeared suspicious. He happened to be black. I would fully expect if my son were in that same outfit in that situation, someone would have considered their location, time of day and presence a bit suspicious. People brought race into the situation because the two were of different races, but had it been two white, two black or two any race of people, I'd bet the same suspicions would have been present. Especially in a neighborhood that had recent break-ins where they posted a neighborhood watch. For that matter, if I were on watch ANY person would be suspicious walking slowly in the rain, in the dark, alone at night. Period. Adult, child, teen....black, white, whatever.

It's time to put race back in its place and live as the human race for a change. Bringing it into every situation that involves someone of color, or just someone who is different in some other way, only leads to further discrimination, mixed feelings and hate. The clown guy was intending to be funny, but even if people found it not to be funny or in poor taste, it didn't appear to be bashing the president because of his race (which is both black and white).
SMDBill is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:34 PM   #21
FreeState
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Thanks - I hadn't seen that. I however can not find which Rodeo this happened at - and if it was a tax payer funded event on government property.

By the way this was Bush 1, not Bush 2. (Not that it matters, but I got the impression out was Bush 2).
FreeState is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:49 PM   #22
ThisIsNotMe
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeState View Post
Thanks - I hadn't seen that. I however can not find which Rodeo this happened at - and if it was a tax payer funded event on government property.

By the way this was Bush 1, not Bush 2. (Not that it matters, but I got the impression out was Bush 2).

All taken on government (IE public) property.
ThisIsNotMe is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 06:58 PM   #23
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:

All taken on government (IE public) property.
Which the right to assemble and speak would not be abridged. The rodeo, if paid for by taxes by residents of the State, could be construed as the State doing this, not the individual. Not so good, given what happened the last time a State tried to do this (read: civil war, secession, etc.).

BL.
bradl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:06 PM   #24
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMDBill View Post
What?? None of what you wrote made sense. The Rodeo Clown was attempting to be humorous in a crowd of people who expected him to be there in the rodeo ring, with the mask intended, rather inappropriately, to be the joke. No danger, no racism...he was just a big caricature of the president plain and simple. The NAACP made it a racial issue by inserting themselves. We have nothing to suggest the clown meant to demean or belittle President Obama because of his race.

Your other claim about Trayvon shouldn't have worn a hoodie...really? ANY person in that situation would have appeared suspicious. He happened to be black. I would fully expect if my son were in that same outfit in that situation, someone would have considered their location, time of day and presence a bit suspicious. People brought race into the situation because the two were of different races, but had it been two white, two black or two any race of people, I'd bet the same suspicions would have been present. Especially in a neighborhood that had recent break-ins where they posted a neighborhood watch. For that matter, if I were on watch ANY person would be suspicious walking slowly in the rain, in the dark, alone at night. Period. Adult, child, teen....black, white, whatever.

It's time to put race back in its place and live as the human race for a change. Bringing it into every situation that involves someone of color, or just someone who is different in some other way, only leads to further discrimination, mixed feelings and hate. The clown guy was intending to be funny, but even if people found it not to be funny or in poor taste, it didn't appear to be bashing the president because of his race (which is both black and white).
Read my point again. I wasn't even weighing in on this situation. I'm simply stating the hypocrisy of how many choose to use reason and sensibility only when it seems to their advantage.

So the Right can get upset at Labor Protests supported by tax dollars? But tax dollars that pay for animal cruelty and disrespecting the president is ok?
Yea, no hypocrisy there.
LIVEFRMNYC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:31 PM   #25
b166er
macrumors 68020

I heard this story on the radio yesterday morning. While maybe the crowd was a little too enthusiastic about it, I don't see what the big deal is. It's a freaking rodeo. Anyone on here ever been to a rodeo? I have (not proud of that) and they are just freaking weird. It's like a somehow creepier version of the circus but with hillbillies everywhere. Just let it be.

We have the right to criticize our leaders here. Look at the immense amount of hateful demonstrations against George W. What was that? That was jus Americans exercising their freedom of speech an right to protest. But what happened at the rodeo is somehow racists. Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't, that doesn't really change anything.

When you're the damn POTUS, all bets are off. I'm pretty sure Obama knew that going in, and I'm pretty sure he can handle that kind of heat without getting too ********. I'm sure he's heard his fair share of racists crap thrown at him over the years. His skills as a president aside, he is a pretty well put together guy and he knows how to roll with the punches.

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues