Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilatheflirt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
I have a friend who bought an iPhone 5 whilst on holiday in Japan. When we tried to insert a sim card from another country this is what happened:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    551.3 KB · Views: 196

lilatheflirt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
That's something you test before you leave. Sorry though

True. He doesn't know anything about these things, I guess the seller was very convincing. lol. This is his first smartphone and he bought it by himself. He used it whilst in Japan so didn't really think anything was wrong at first. It was only when he got back and was able to get a nano sim from his own carrier when this happened.
We'll try to get it unlocked somehow and see if it'll work

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Am I just going blind or is there no space between the second and third sentences? Is that an Apple-provided message?

veneto

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
Am I just going blind or is there no space between the second and third sentences? Is that an Apple-provided message?

That is a new sentence. Apple had gotten complaints about customers not knowing whether or not their phones was unlocked, and I got routed to an Engineer, after that complaint they started adding these new messages, better explaining why the phone is not operational. It used to just say, "Please insert another SIM...etc" then they added the new sentence. Without putting a space.

There is always carrier confusion. Call, complain, and then only buy from Apple.

lilatheflirt

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
It actually works as an ipod touch. He was able to talk to a friend and it seems there's a way out of it. He needs some sort of microchip to unlock the phone and it'll work.

iDuel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
Greece/USA
It actually works as an ipod touch. He was able to talk to a friend and it seems there's a way out of it. He needs some sort of microchip to unlock the phone and it'll work.

Maybe you could call SoftBank in Japan and explain the situation. Since he doesn't live there, they may be able to unlock it for him.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.