Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has just released the sixth beta version of iOS 7 to developers for testing purposes. The update is available as an over-the-air update to existing beta testers and it can also be downloaded via Apple's Developer Center.

It was rumored earlier today that Beta 6 might be released next week, roughly two weeks after the release of Beta 5; however, the odd timing of this release -- Apple traditionally releases new iOS betas to developers on Monday mornings -- along with its small size, only 13.5MB on an iPhone 5, suggests that it could be some kind of urgent bug fix.

iosbeta6.jpg
The new beta arrives as build 11A4449d, and comes a little more than week after the previous beta 5, which had a build number of 11A4449a.

iOS 7 is scheduled for release in the fall of this year, with updates to Apple's iPhone and iPad lineups expected around the same time. If past history is any indication, iOS 7 should be made available to the public just a few days before the launch of the next-generation iPhone.

Update: Apple notes on the iOS Developer Center that the release fixes an "issue with iTunes in the Cloud, where some purchases may download or play unexpected items."

iosdevcenter.png

Article Link: Apple Unexpectedly Seeds iOS 7 Beta 6 to Developers, Update Fixes Issue With iTunes in the Cloud [Updated]

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I'm half tempted to start playing around with betas but I've resisted so far. I'll probably try the GM when it comes out.

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Very unexpected. Can't wait to see the changelog :D

(Obviously security/bug fixes)

- Still no unlock sound (OTA update with restore from iCloud that was originally from iOS 6 and has moved through all of the betas)

-iCloud Keychain seems to work better for me.

-Boot time is significantly faster I lied. It's taken 2.5 minutes or more to boot to the home screen multiple times. I'm not sure where the speedy boot came from.

Last edited:

vojta3476

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
Boston, MA
Well that was unexpected. Anyone figure out the change yet? I'm really curious to know what they possibly could have done in so little time.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Wow I wonder if this means there will be a beta 7 in a few weeks or will it just go straight to the GM? Also, totally out left field. Would not have even known had I not checked this site.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Guys, I think the small size means this is some critical bug fix.

Meaning, they probably didn't intent to release an update before next week, but felt compelled to fix some small issue.

I would imagine that BGR was not wrong, rather, something small came up that changed their plans a little bit. I would still bet that we'll see the next beta (now beta 7) next week with more substantial changes/fixes.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
This will hopefully fix the incredibly long boot ups. :eek:

I still wish they would have changed the Photos icon to the one on the right. :(

Wow, the one on the right looks fantastic! Whoever tweaked that must be some sort of designer genius! :D

Last edited:

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
From the dev center

This update addresses an issue with iTunes in the Cloud, where some purchases may download or play unexpected items. If you have any devices running previous versions of iOS 7 beta, you must:
1. Install iOS 7 beta 6
2. Install the ResetMusicAndVideosLibraries configuration profile
3. From Settings > Music, tap the Reset Media Library button
4. Restart the device

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.