Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Constancex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I just bought an epson xp-410, a wireless printer. It prints when I connect the laptop to it with the USB cable. If its not connected to the USB cable, it says offline. I have OS X mountain lion

How can I connect it to the laptop? I went to print and scan, then clicked the "+", to add the IP address. Yet it still doesn't work

Last edited:

Thraun

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2008
Abbotsford, BC
Have you entered your network information on the printer itself? Obviously the computer won't see it on the network if it's not connected.

Also, this was a few years ago now, but when I got my Epson printer it wouldn't connect wirelessly until I went to the Epson website and downloaded the specific driver for that model printer and my operating system (10.6 at the time).

Constancex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
Have you entered your network information on the printer itself? Obviously the computer won't see it on the network if it's not connected.

Also, this was a few years ago now, but when I got my Epson printer it wouldn't connect wirelessly until I went to the Epson website and downloaded the specific driver for that model printer and my operating system (10.6 at the time).

I set up the wifi on the printer and entered the pw. I downloaded the specific driver on the website and updated it. I typed in the IP address into laptop and there was no luck

END3R

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2009
I set up the wifi on the printer and entered the pw. I downloaded the specific driver on the website and updated it. I typed in the IP address into laptop and there was no luck

My Canon is found in the Default tab when adding a new printer in "Print & Scan" system settings. Could it be possible that it's not set up correctly? Also, it is a scanner as well but I can only scan if it is connected through USB and the "Location" is listed as "My Macbook Pro" and not shown as an AirPrint device. Not much help but maybe try going through setup again.

Off the topic, some Epson printers don't allow you to refill the ink cartridges. Just mentioning.

firedept

macrumors 603
Jul 8, 2011
Somewhere!
I would suggest reinstalling it. I have seen this before with a friends Brother printer. After reinstalling it, the problem cleared up. Not sure it will help, but is a suggestion.

Constancex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2013
I would suggest reinstalling it. I have seen this before with a friends Brother printer. After reinstalling it, the problem cleared up. Not sure it will help, but is a suggestion.

Tried reinstalling it and didn't work either. First I connected the printer to the USB drive and it works. The printer name is in there but it says offline when not connected to the cable

Knoodles

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Gone to the Beach
Don't know if it's the same, but with my Canon all in one you have to set up the wireless while connected via usb using the setup software on the included disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.