Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Apparently, the alternating 'swipe to answer' and 'accept/decline' incoming call screens are still in effect. Did we ever determine what this was about to begin with?

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Apparently, the alternating 'swipe to answer' and 'accept/decline' incoming call screens are still in effect. Did we ever determine what this was about to begin with?

This isn't a bug.

If you're using the device while the call comes in, you get one and if the device is locked, you get the other. I honestly forgot which happens when but I know that's what happens.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
As opposed to what? That's how it worked in previous iOS versions too (short of iOS 6 also having a slide option that offered some more items when the slider was present).

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

It's by design.

Locked = slide to answer

Unlocked = Accept/Reject

What's so difficult to understand?

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
It's by design.

. . .

That's true but there are some, like me, who'd like the option to send a particular call to voicemail irrespective of the state of the phone at the time.

Apple isn't giving us this choice.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
I really don't like the slide to answer. I would rather push to accept. The slide motion is strange if my phone is just laying on the desk.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
That's true but there are some, like me, who'd like the option to send a particular call to voicemail irrespective of the state of the phone at the time.

Apple isn't giving us this choice.

push the power button once to mute the call
push the power button twice to reject the call
This is by design from iOS 1;)

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
push the power button once to mute the call
push the power button twice to reject the call
This is by design from iOS 1;)

Thank you, but I was aware of this. I prefer to have the option on screen for best convenience.

Additionally, like a number of others, the power button on my 4S is on the way to failing.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Thank you, but I was aware of this. I prefer to have the option on screen.

Not least because, like a number of others, the power button on my 4S is on the way to failing.

I agree that Apple should make it obvious and I don't know what is the reason that they haven't realised this problem after so many years. This is totally un-Apple.

glitch82

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
Thank you, but I was aware of this. I prefer to have the option on screen for best convenience.

Additionally, like a number of others, the power button on my 4S is on the way to failing.

That is true, however I must disagree about changing the slide to answer behavior. It prevents accidentally answering a call while the phone is in your pocket. I do agree that they need to not only include a screen option for rejecting a call while locked, but they should also clarify between both locked and unlocked answer / decline modes somehow. Either making the distinction more obvious, or perhaps more subtle.

KeanosMagicHat

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2012
That is true, however I must disagree about changing the slide to answer behavior. It prevents accidentally answering a call while the phone is in your pocket. I do agree that they need to not only include a screen option for rejecting a call while locked . . .

I realise for some it has definitely been an issue but, having owned a 3G, 3GS and 4S, I have never once accidentally answered my phone in pocket.

Having said that, I have no problem whatsoever with keeping slide to answer to help those that do, providing they change the layout to have an on screen reject option too.

gtelware

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2013
In my word we need an option for accepting and rejecting the call while the phone is unlocked.

glitch82

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2010
Bradenton, FL
I realise for some it has definitely been an issue but, having owned a 3G, 3GS and 4S, I have never once accidentally answered my phone in pocket.

Me neither. That's because Slide to Answer has been there since the original iPhone first launched. :)

----------

In my word we need an option for accepting and rejecting the call while the phone is unlocked.

You do have that option. The answer and decline buttons show while the phone is unlocked. I guess I'm not sure I understand your issue.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
A locked iPhone ALWAYS requires a SWIPE to get past the lock screen. This is a core principle of the iPhone's design.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Declining a call doesn't get you past the lock screen, genius
And how does that relate to answering the call requiring a swipe on the lock screen? Seems like that's what at least a large part of your original post was about.

Namecalling is a sure sign of really having no argument to stand by. Thanks for making that point.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
some people just need excuses to start a thread with their name on it.

It's funny, if you look at the initial comments in a thread like this, it's users lambasting op for even opening his/her mouth, only to be followed by a stream of posters who benefit from the thread, invalidating the naysayers.

BTW, iOS 6 had a single, unified screen for all incoming call functions. Just because now there are two versions for aforementioned specific purposes doesn't mean it makes any sense. It doesn't

spacehog371

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2003
BTW, iOS 6 had a single, unified screen for all incoming call functions. Just because now there are two versions for aforementioned specific purposes doesn't mean it makes any sense. It doesn't

No, it didn't.

Since launch day in 2007, the iPhone has worked the same way. Slide to answer when the phone is locked, tap to answer when it is unlocked.

I have never once accidentally answered my phone in pocket.

That's the point.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
No, it didn't.

Since launch day in 2007, the iPhone has worked the same way. Slide to answer when the phone is locked, tap to answer when it is unlocked.

That's the point.

Yes. IT DID. The "swipe up to decline, etc" feature was introduced in iOS 6 along with the lock screen camera. There was a slider AND a decline button. Do your research, buddy

----------

And how does that relate to answering the call requiring a swipe on the lock screen? Seems like that's what at least a large part of your original post was about.

Namecalling is a sure sign of really having no argument to stand by. Thanks for making that point.

Doesn't relate one bit to my original post. It relates to yours—you're the one who digressed.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes. IT DID. The "swipe up to decline, etc" feature was introduced in iOS 6 along with the lock screen camera. There was a slider AND a decline button. Do your research, buddy

----------

Doesn't relate one bit to my original post. It relates to yours—you're the one who digressed.
They were still two different screens in how they presented their options and how they could be used (even if they offered mostly the same options).

And of course it relates to the original post. It talks about the two screens being different and how that's strange when in reality it's how it's always been and how it is supposed to work (the only real difference is the lack of a decline button option on the lock screen, but the post didn't really focus on that at all).

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
They were still two different screens in how they presented their options and how they could be used (even if they offered mostly the same options).

And of course it relates to the original post. It talks about the two screens being different and how that's strange when in reality it's how it's always been and how it is supposed to work (the only real difference is the lack of a decline button option on the lock screen, but the post didn't really focus on that at all).

OK so I have iPhones currently running both versions of iOS, so I can verify this:

In iOS 6 you were always presented with the slider screen. Pulling up would convert it to the button screen. In iOS 7 you are given either or.

The two screens were components of each other—a single format. I'm scratching my head because I thought this was one of the most elegant additions to iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.