Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sonicrobby

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 24, 2013
New Orleans
I decided to buy more lightning cables to leave at work to charge my iPhone 5. These are third party, chinese knock offs of course. Everything was fine for a few weeks, but yesterday it starting acting funny. It would sometimes charge and sometimes not when plugged into my work PC, usually wiggling the cable around solved the issue. Later in the day, it wouldnt charge (or be recognized by my PC) at all, no matter how much i moved the cable around.

I go home last night and charge it (using the actual Apple lightning cable that came with my phone). No problem. This morning I woke up, my phone was fully charged, but my phone had the message saying "Charging is not supported with this accessory." Which is strange because it was a legitimate lightning cable. I havent tried to replicate the issue yet; Im at work and the third party cable still isnt working at all.

Is it possible for third party cables to mess up your dock? Get the iPhone to believe that legitimate Apple cables are fake?

Any help/advice/insight is appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.