Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
andrewsjra
macrumors member

IOS 7 Beta 6 Unlock Sound

Looks like Beta 6 still didn't fix the unlock sound. Is anyone else still experiencing this?
andrewsjra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:13 AM   #2
WJKramer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsjra View Post
Looks like Beta 6 still didn't fix the unlock sound. Is anyone else still experiencing this?
This is a feature people! I've had it turned off since 2008!
WJKramer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:16 AM   #3
MarcusCarpenter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJKramer View Post
This is a feature people! I've had it turned off since 2008!
I actually prefer just having a lock sound, don't feel the unlock sound is needed anymore or at least it needs changing for the new UI as the "sound" don't quite fit the UI anymore
MarcusCarpenter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 09:18 AM   #4
andrewsjra
macrumors member

Or it would be nice if they had different unlock/lock sounds to choose from. Especially now that IOS 7 has a different feel I feel it would be appropriate.
andrewsjra is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:52 AM   #5
benji888
macrumors 65816

it's not a mistake, Apple doesn't miss things like this, this is their way of saying they are changing it. I don't think it will remain without sounds, but, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic (however that's spelled), so these will change also...new sounds!

But, like OP, I'd like to be able to choose the sounds...all sounds, actually (even the bubble sounds in texting).
benji888 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 11:56 AM   #6
Cometman12347
macrumors newbie

People don't get that there is still skumorphic elements in iOS 7. It's whole new physics engine is an example of this . iOS 7 is about removing skumorphic elements from the visual design.
Cometman12347 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 12:14 PM   #7
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Or it would be nice if they had different unlock/lock sounds to choose from. Especially now that IOS 7 has a different feel I feel it would be appropriate.
Like a door opening and closing?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:01 PM   #8
abshole765
macrumors 6502a

What'd you expect from a 13mb update?
abshole765 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:41 PM   #9
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometman12347 View Post
People don't get that there is still skumorphic elements in iOS 7. It's whole new physics engine is an example of this . iOS 7 is about removing skumorphic elements from the visual design.
Which part of the visual design is the unlock sound?
PNutts is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 02:42 PM   #10
DDustiNN
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benji888 View Post
it's not a mistake, Apple doesn't miss things like this, this is their way of saying they are changing it. I don't think it will remain without sounds, but, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic (however that's spelled), so these will change also...new sounds!

But, like OP, I'd like to be able to choose the sounds...all sounds, actually (even the bubble sounds in texting).
I dunno, I put in a bug report regarding the iOS 7 beta 5 missing lock sound (figuring it would be flagged as a duplicate), but they responded asking for logs. Haven't sent it yet though.
DDustiNN is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 03:07 PM   #11
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDustiNN View Post
I dunno, I put in a bug report regarding the iOS 7 beta 5 missing lock sound (figuring it would be flagged as a duplicate), but they responded asking for logs. Haven't sent it yet though.
Interesting that they either aren't aware of it, or seem to not quite get what the issue really is somehow.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 03:47 PM   #12
andybno1
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I turned lock sounds off then on again bam problem solved

EDIT: nope back to no unlock sound
andybno1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 04:34 PM   #13
benji888
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNutts View Post
Which part of the visual design is the unlock sound?
It's not just about visual design, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic by design also...I don't think you get the overall concept, maybe you should google it. (Skeuomorphic)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Interesting that they either aren't aware of it, or seem to not quite get what the issue really is somehow.
maybe that's because it isn't an issue. ...there is no way this would just slip by the people at Apple, I am sure they know about it...not one idevice with iOS 7 beta 5 or 6 has the unlock sound, now does it? Apple has been known to give hints at new or changing features in beta releases before.
benji888 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 05:56 PM   #14
bbfc
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Beta 6 was pushed out to fix one bug. Beta 7 might bring changes to the sounds.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 06:31 PM   #15
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
It's not just about visual design, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic by design also...I don't think you get the overall concept, maybe you should google it. (Skeuomorphic)

----------

maybe that's because it isn't an issue. ...there is no way this would just slip by the people at Apple, I am sure they know about it...not one idevice with iOS 7 beta 5 or 6 has the unlock sound, now does it? Apple has been known to give hints at new or changing features in beta releases before.
It's very easy for anything to slip by in a beta update, and even a non-beta update. It might seem obvious to some later on, but all kinds of things slip through with all kinds of updates involving all kinds of companies...just the nature of the beast.

Furthermore, if this was intentional, Apple wouldn't request more details about the issue, and would close the bug report as something like "works as designed", "won't fix", or even a duplicate of some sort.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2013, 07:53 PM   #16
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
It's not just about visual design, the lock/unlock sounds are skewmorphic by design also...I don't think you get the overall concept, maybe you should google it.
Whooooosh!
PNutts is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:14 AM   #17
Sirious
macrumors 6502

IMHO, the lock and unlock sounds are too quick for the new iOS 7 fade in/out effect. Hope they are about to change them
Sirious is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:18 AM   #18
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
I agree, the entire sound collection needs refreshing on iOS 7.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:35 AM   #19
Gogurt48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusCarpenter View Post
I actually prefer just having a lock sound, don't feel the unlock sound is needed anymore or at least it needs changing for the new UI as the "sound" don't quite fit the UI anymore
That's because you can see. My wife is blind and relies in the unlock sound to let her know she's successfully unlocked the phone. As an accessibility issue, there really needs to be an unlock sound.
Gogurt48 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 08:49 AM   #20
aimee.elizabeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogurt48 View Post
That's because you can see. My wife is blind and relies in the unlock sound to let her know she's successfully unlocked the phone. As an accessibility issue, there really needs to be an unlock sound.
That is a very interesting aspect that I haven't considered, and it is a serious issue for those with disabilities. Did you send Apple feedback? Perhaps they can make it a toggle option under Accessibilities. That would make many other happy too.
aimee.elizabeth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:10 AM   #21
Gogurt48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee.elizabeth View Post
That is a very interesting aspect that I haven't considered, and it is a serious issue for those with disabilities. Did you send Apple feedback? Perhaps they can make it a toggle option under Accessibilities. That would make many other happy too.
I haven't reported it to Apple yet because I assume it's going to be fixed soon. However, if it's not restored in the next beta, I definitely will report it.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:53 AM   #22
MarcusCarpenter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogurt48 View Post
Well i guess your Wife isnt a Developer so therefore shouldn't be using a beta software.. of course this would be fixed/replaced in the GM
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:55 AM   #23
aimee.elizabeth
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well i guess your Wife isnt a Developer so therefore shouldn't be using a beta software.. of course this would be fixed/replaced in the GM
Where did he say that his wife is using iOS 7? He could be speaking on her behalf, meaning that if this is a feature and not a bug, people who are blind would be hindered. Geez.
aimee.elizabeth is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #24
MarcusCarpenter
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimee.elizabeth View Post
Where did he say that his wife is using iOS 7? He could be speaking on her behalf, meaning that if this is a feature and not a bug, people who are blind would be hindered. Geez.
It's a bug thats proven, if you disable lock sounds and reenable sometimes it works therefore showing its a bug
Old Aug 17, 2013, 10:11 AM   #25
Gogurt48
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
It's a bug thats proven, if you disable lock sounds and reenable sometimes it works therefore showing its a bug
I hope so. Apple has always excelled at providing accessibility options. I don't think they would deliberately remove this feature unless they didn't realize that doing so created an accessibility issue. To be honest, if it didn't affect my wife, I'm not sure I would have realized that.
Gogurt48 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7