Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

natd1993

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 6, 2011
Great Britain
I've had my 15" rMBP for just over a month, and recently it has started making a strange noise when performing high CPU tasks, such as editing in FCPX or Adobe After Effects. I'll post a video below, the fans are full blast but a strange noise can also be heard. It was shot on my iPhone so sorry for the shoddiness!

I've spoken to several Apple representitives and they say the best thing to do would be to come in to a store and have it looked at. The problem is the nearest store is about 2 hours away, or about £20 away, depending on which way you look at it.

Basically I was just wondering if anyone else had had this problem, and how Apple dealt with it. I don't really want to be out of pocket, especially considering this is meant to be a 'pro' machine! I'm very busy at the moment with various different video projects and bought the rMBP as my primary machine to edit on, so I really can't afford for it to be away for a long time.

Thanks,
Nat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdt8hICvPKY

nickandre21

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2012
seems like your fan is at fault. I would recommend having them look at it and if any parts need to be changed do it on the spot of it needs to be ordered then to ask you to get it back when the part arrives.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
That does sound like a fan bearing..I'd get it looked at now before it fails completely. Having said that, it might just carry on working like that for a long time....If it were me, I'd let Apple fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.