Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

g35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
Hi, there's a local craigslist listing for $100. From what I can gather, the model may be MA472LL/A. Here is the info from the seller:

-black Macbook
-2 GHZ Intel Core duo
-upgraded to 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM by user
-upgraded to 250GB HD by user
-keyboard/mousepad panel replaced by Apple
-running Snow Leopard

My uses are iTunes, web browsing, Word documents, PDF documents, and videos (usually SD but occasionally 720p h.264). Could this computer handle these tasks easily or would it be slow and jittery? The animations when minimizing a window, etc. Would that sort of thing be slow or relatively smooth? I don't do any gaming or video encoding, any generally only have 2 or 3 of those programs open at a time.

Of course I know it's not going to be like a new one but just wondering if anyone has a similar one and can tell me what it's like for those tasks. I looked on Youtube for videos of a similar computer but they all have SSD upgrades. Would anyone be so kind as to shoot a quick youtube video showing what it's like performing those tasks?

And is it worth it for $100? My computer budget is usually 350-550 every 3 years so I don't have a lot of money to throw around but basically I'm asking, is this about the going rate for such a computer, or what? Thanks for any help!

Last edited:

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
That will be ok for your uses. I have on myself, just that it's white. animations will be smooth, but can you get any info on of it has a gma 950 or gma x1300 or newer? you need a nvidia card to run mountain lion. Hope this helps :) . i won't recommend using the macbook on your lap, because the plastic on the bottom get's pretty hot to the touch (on the left). The ram says it's a mid 2007 model like mine (667mhz bus). snow leopard isn't gettings updates anymore; upgrade to lion as fast as possible

g35

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 13, 2007
That will be ok for your uses. I have on myself, just that it's white. animations will be smooth, but can you get any info on of it has a gma 950 or gma x1300 or newer? you need a nvidia card to run mountain lion. Hope this helps :) . i won't recommend using the macbook on your lap, because the plastic on the bottom get's pretty hot to the touch (on the left). The ram says it's a mid 2007 model like mine (667mhz bus). snow leopard isn't gettings updates anymore; upgrade to lion as fast as possible

Thanks for your reply! I think this one maxes out at Snow Leopard because it's got a Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo.

MacAndrew07

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Porto, Portugal
Shame it's a Core Duo!, I have a Mac Mini with the same processor that I used to work on it 24/7 still works really well. Well If I where you I would try getting a Core 2 Duo MacBook since it can handle Lion. I bought one this week it's a Core 2 Duo MacBook from 2008, but the RAM has been maxed out, and a new battery, next thing I'll do is to buy an SSD. And for those tasks its enough, I run Photoshop and Final Cut Express on mine it runs faster than my Core Duo mini!

Cristian .b

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2013
Apple walled garden
Thanks for your reply! I think this one maxes out at Snow Leopard because it's got a Core Duo, not Core 2 Duo.
oh, i misread your post. i didn't see it stood core duo there. my bad. you cannot upgrade the cpu as in the mac mini, cause it's soldered on. and use clicktoflash with safari and use html5 or quicktime to play videos.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.