Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PatrikC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Hello! My first post here! :) I've ordered a gold-colored display for my iPhone 5, because my old one is cracked and I thought, why not install a display with a color that stands out? So I ordered "390597028853" from ebay (search in the search-bar and you will find it) and to protect the display I ordered "350845911469".

About 2-3 days ago I installed the new display and it seemed to work very good, just as good display as the original, but there is one thing that seems to be defective on it. It was really hard to capture this with a camera, and it looks quiet different on the picture from reality, but you can see what I mean. When I charge the phone, the display sometimes get foggy, normally only a little bit in the corner of the display, but this time it was the whole display! It's like the display gets electrically charged or something like that. Is the display maybe not grounded as it should, or is it a defective display in some way? Normally this disappears after about 30 minutes, but now it have been about 45 minutes so maybe it wont go away this time?

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

So if anybody have any idea of what's wrong, please tell me! If there is no simple solution I will of course take contact with the seller and send it back to get refunded. By the way, Swedish is my first language so please forgive me for some typos and things like that :D

By the way, I'm sorry if this is the absolute wrong forum to post this, but I really need help, so I hope you guys can forgive me anyway! :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2443.JPG
    IMG_2443.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 908
  • IMG_2444.JPG
    IMG_2444.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,209
  • IMG_2445.JPG
    IMG_2445.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 823
Last edited by a moderator:

PatrikC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Not expect, but I understand that it is a risk. But that wasn't the question, right? If you don't have anything that can help me you don't need to say it, I can send it back to the seller but don't want to if I don't need to, so I will wait two days to see if someone has something to say that can possibly help me.

aimee.elizabeth

Cancelled
Sep 28, 2012
Not expect, but I understand that it is a risk. But that wasn't the question, right? If you don't have anything that can help me you don't need to say it, I can send it back to the seller but don't want to if I don't need to, so I will wait two days to see if someone has something to say that can possibly help me.

Is the fog under your iphone screen or the 3rd party display? Have you tried taking it off and see if the problem persists?

PatrikC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
Is the fog under your iphone screen or the 3rd party display? Have you tried taking it off and see if the problem persists?

It seems to be the actal display. It only happens when I charge it sometimes, so it should be something like that the display gets electrly charged. I don't know why it does that, maybe the grounding?

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Your crooked home button would kick my OCD into overdrive. Doesn't it drive u crazy!?!!

3rd party stuff is mostly all crap. I would NEVER buy a 3rd party display. But to each his own. It's obviously a faulty display. Return it and go through apple to get it fixed/replaced. That's ur best bet.

PatrikC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2013
I've seen these exact displays work perfectly for others and they look and feel exactly like original, but MUCH cheaper and with much more interesting colors then just boring black or white :) I'm interested in "TheProFTW"s theory, because I know that thw color is made by some sort of a film, probably a thin metal film. Could that be what makes this happen? I'm using my iPhone right now while charging and there is no problem at all right now. And no way I would give it to Apple to repair it, why wouldn't I just buy an original display and install myself? Wouldn't that be the same thing as letting someone at Apple do it for my annual income? I'm of course exaggerating, but seriously, I can buy an extra spare original Sharp (Sharp is the supplier of the iPhone 5-displays right?) for the same cost as letting Apple do it! And I wouldn't trust anyone, not even Apple, to do that. I rather do it myself so I can see that everything is correctly installed as it should.

When my iPhone 5 was brand new it had 4 dead pixels, and when I opened it for the first time I noticed one screw that was complitely loose and one that was almost ripped. I don't trust Apple anymore, I rather do it myself.

Thanks for all help, I am really greatful for all your respones. I will take contact with the seller tomorrow about sending it back, because the clock is 03:45 AM here inSweden right now :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.