Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:22 AM   #1
arranjenks
macrumors member

Backing up & Restoring to a new iPhone

I currently have iOS 7 on my iphone 5, and i'm selling it so i can get a new contract.

If i back the iOS 7 phone to itunes, can i then restore it to a new iPhone even though thats going to be running iOS 6?

I'll try and make it clearer, the new iPhone 5 i'll be getting I DO NOT WANT IOS7 on. but i do want all my contacts/photos etc onto that phone.

So if i back up my ios7 phone, then connect my ios6 phone and restore from back up, will everything restore to my new phone and remain on ios6?

Or can you not restore on different iOS versions?

thanks
arranjenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:27 AM   #2
MarcusCarpenter
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arranjenks View Post
I currently have iOS 7 on my iphone 5, and i'm selling it so i can get a new contract.

If i back the iOS 7 phone to itunes, can i then restore it to a new iPhone even though thats going to be running iOS 6?

I'll try and make it clearer, the new iPhone 5 i'll be getting I DO NOT WANT IOS7 on. but i do want all my contacts/photos etc onto that phone.

So if i back up my ios7 phone, then connect my ios6 phone and restore from back up, will everything restore to my new phone and remain on ios6?

Or can you not restore on different iOS versions?

thanks
you'd be better off just syncing with the cloud to get all your data across, however you cant restore a iOS7 backup over 6
Old Aug 17, 2013, 05:32 AM   #3
arranjenks
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusCarpenter View Post
you'd be better off just syncing with the cloud to get all your data across, however you cant restore a iOS7 backup over 6
So your suggestion would be set the iPhone up as new on iOS 6 and then get my contacts and stuff via the iCloud backups?

That sucks balls man, means im gonna have to go in and reinstall all my apps if i cant restore an ios6 phone from an ios7 back up
arranjenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So your suggestion would be set the iPhone up as new on iOS 6 and then get my contacts and stuff via the iCloud backups?

That sucks balls man, means im gonna have to go in and reinstall all my apps if i cant restore an ios6 phone from an ios7 back up
With beta's I turn off iCloud backup, using iTunes instead and use ifunbox to restore my camera roll and any game saves.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 06:39 AM   #5
MarcusCarpenter
macrumors regular

Quote:

yeah thats what i'd recommend but first you can transfer all your apps to iTunes so when you reinstall iOS6 you can just go to your apps in iTunes and just drag them all back to your iPhone in a simple click, thats what i do. i never use backsups of any kind takes me roughly 10mins to have everything back to how it was before

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7