Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT0MAC

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 4, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I would like to know if any of you have the Corsair K70 keyboard and using it on your Mac?

Im interested in knowing if it works correct and if it remembers the lighting scheme you have set in windows?
As in, if I decide it to only light up specific keys, will they then be the only ones light in OSX or will it default to all keys light?

danielsdesk

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
San Jose, CA
I just got this keyboard for my mac and I love it. The mechanical keys are a dream.

To answer your question (very late), I've swapped my K70 back and forth between a win 8 machine and a mac and the LED config is definitely saved. There are some issues though, which I'll get to later.

Both Alt and Win keys on both sides of the space bar work and in OSX keyboard preferences I reversed them to act like option and command. The application launcher key I never use, so I have no idea. There are some media keys and volume keys, which appear to work in my experience, except for the Stop button (I guess it doesn't know what to do with that in iTunes, since there is only Play/Pause). There are three corsair specific buttons at the top: one for setting the LEDs (which are all red), one for adjusting the LED brightness, and one lock for disabling the windows key when activated (presumably so you don't accidentally kill your fullscreened game by hitting the start menu button). Both the one for setting LEDs and their brightness work everywhere; I've tested by setting it up on a PC and then plugging it into a mac and it still kept it. Hitting the LED button just switches between your lit configuration and all the keys lit up, so it's not all that complicated. But it works wherever I bring it.

Now, the stuff that doesn't work. There are three white LEDs for the conventional Num Lock/Caps Lock/Scroll Lock states of the buttons. These do not work on OSX. They only work on Windows. Now, there is a manual switch on the keyboard which swaps the OS built into the keyboard, but the configurations are all meant for PC. There is a fall-back mode all the way at the end called BIOS, which is meant as a 'compatibility mode'. I've found that if I set it to this, I can at least get the caps lock LED to show the right state. The num lock/scroll lock LEDs though are stuck as whatever they are, but I don't really care personally, as caps lock is the only one I am actively looking for when I type. If you set it to BIOS though, the windows button locker doesn't work, but I can't imagine why you'd care about that on OSX. For more information on this, I found this thread while googling: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=118346 Funnily enough, when in BIOS mode, Scroll Lock and Pause Break act like the brighten/dim buttons for the screen, so that's kind of an accidental feature for me, since I use those a lot too.

Hope that's helpful,
- danielsdesk

I would like to know if any of you have the Corsair K70 keyboard and using it on your Mac?

Im interested in knowing if it works correct and if it remembers the lighting scheme you have set in windows?
As in, if I decide it to only light up specific keys, will they then be the only ones light in OSX or will it default to all keys light?

dub*man

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I just got a K70 RGB today. I cant get the LED programming to stick when I go back to OSX. What do I need to be doing differently? It reverts back to all red except for the WASD and arrow keys in white.

I love the feeling of the keys, hopefully I can keep this one!

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
You need to save the profile to device memory:

TQvNkjt.png

Once you do that, it'll stick but unfortunately, you won't be able to have lighting effects that trigger when you push keys.

Oh yeah, and if you're using USB3, you only need to plug in the plug that has a picture of a keyboard on it. The 2nd one is only needed if you have USB2 or USB1.

Some people have figured out how to control lighting from linux:
http://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalK...dx/corsair_k70_rgb_music_visualizer_in_linux/

It will need some pretty hefty poking at, but that means it's probably doable to make something for OS X that does the same :)

Last edited:

dub*man

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
Thank you!

I was almost ready to bring it back to fry's!

I guess I need to watch some tutorials because I dont have an save to device option...

At least I now know it can be done!

:D

will_stellig_123

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
I've just bought the K70 RGB keyboard today and am using it on a mac and I can't for the life of me work out how to even download the software to begin closing what keys i want to be what colour. I may just be completely hopeless but can anybody tell me how to download the software so that i can begin customising this keyboard, thanks.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I've just bought the K70 RGB keyboard today and am using it on a mac and I can't for the life of me work out how to even download the software to begin closing what keys i want to be what colour. I may just be completely hopeless but can anybody tell me how to download the software so that i can begin customising this keyboard, thanks.
Step one is to install Windows.

Reactions: Buckaroo

Arminecraft

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2016
Minecraftia
Sorry to resurrect this somewhat old thread, but you don't have to install windows.

Just go here.
http://forum.corsair.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133929

It's much easier and better to change settings than the stock one on windows.

Oh thank you so much! This OSX software is the best thing I've ever seen, it works perfectly and I'm so happy you sent it :eek: I wanted to talk with the app creator but couldn't, so I'm kind of thanking you therefore. It's just perfect.

danielsdesk

macrumors newbie
Jan 4, 2013
San Jose, CA
Oh thank you so much! This OSX software is the best thing I've ever seen, it works perfectly and I'm so happy you sent it :eek: I wanted to talk with the app creator but couldn't, so I'm kind of thanking you therefore. It's just perfect.

FYI this software currently has problems if you upgrade to macOS Sierra as they rewrote the keyboard drivers and it is currently incompatible with certain things like Meta-key + mouse click (CMD + Click or Shift + Click for instance). I have been using ckb for quite a long time up until just recently until compatibility is fixed, so if it's working for you just don't upgrade OSX yet

zavy

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
FYI this software currently has problems if you upgrade to macOS Sierra as they rewrote the keyboard drivers and it is currently incompatible with certain things like Meta-key + mouse click (CMD + Click or Shift + Click for instance). I have been using ckb for quite a long time up until just recently until compatibility is fixed, so if it's working for you just don't upgrade OSX yet

I have exactly the same problem and it is very frustrating

spizzi

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2008
Does anybody know if the Corsair K70 keyboard has the Option Key to perform boot options upon startup? Example: if I hold the Option key down on my Apple Keyboard, it boots into Boot option mode that will allow me to boot from USB, other disk, BootCamp, etc.

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
Does anybody know if the Corsair K70 keyboard has the Option Key to perform boot options upon startup? Example: if I hold the Option key down on my Apple Keyboard, it boots into Boot option mode that will allow me to boot from USB, other disk, BootCamp, etc.

I suggest you not buying it if you have not done that. Corsair's keyboards don't work at all in macOS Sierra 10.12. You can only get it work in macOS 10.11 or earlier with ckb, a third party app.

zen

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2003
An alternative keyboard might be the Ducky Shine 5. Full RGB controlled via hardware, not software.

Lou-X

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2016
Does anybody know if the roccat keyboard suora may be working on Sierra? I use a roccat gaming mouse on snow leopard with a third party software for memorizing the keys, but never had a kb

Pavo

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2017
I suggest you not buying it if you have not done that. Corsair's keyboards don't work at all in macOS Sierra 10.12. You can only get it work in macOS 10.11 or earlier with ckb, a third party app.
ckb-next work in both Sierra and High Sierra, using perfectly fine with my Corsair K65 RGB

zhaoxin

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2015
ckb-next work in both Sierra and High Sierra, using perfectly fine with my Corsair K65 RGB

I don't think so. The project is not active and it costs too much cpu usage than it should. Now I am using Karabiner-Elments. It is the next generation of Karabiner. Karabiner doesn't work with K65 RGB. But Elements does.

Comparing to ckb-next, Elements doesn't have the ability on changing the keyboard lights. But its drive is more stable. I even use the pause/break key as Mac's eject. So I can use my keyboard to sleep my Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.