Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleistheshiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
So I just bought a broken Macbook Pro 13" 2.3ghz i5 2011 thinking it was just running extremely slow and having glitchy graphics because of a failed hard drive, but after verifying the hard drive, that does not seem to be the problem. I also checked the RAM, by switching out the memory with another set, and reinstalled OSX. So then I finally ran the Apple Hardware Test, and received this error:

4SNS/ 1 /C0000008: TC0D--124

Which I looked up and it's the CPU Temperature Sensor. So I ran Fan Control and I got this read out:
left fan:6,196 RPM
Right fan:-1 RPM
Temp: -198 F

So I've reset the PRAM and SMC, and nothing has worked. Do you guys have any ideas? Is there anyway to replace this sensor? Is this the reason why my Macbook Pro would be running so extremely slow & glitchy?

Thanks!
Michael

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Go to Apple and show them the stats of your system. They should figure it out and repair it under warranty (if it still is).

Does warranty transfer over purchases like this?
Anyways, couldn't hurt to have apple look at it and give an estimate at least...
OP: Does the right fan run at all?

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
The right-hand side fan is dead, for one thing, which will cause a temperature spike. Even out of warranty, fans are dead cheap to replace.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
The right-hand side fan is dead, for one thing, which will cause a temperature spike. Even out of warranty, fans are dead cheap to replace.

^^

This. If the machine has AC or is still in warranty, then the repair is a simple job that can be done by Apple at a genius bar. In the meantime, avoid running anything intense until you can get that dead fan replaced.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
The warranty stays with the product, not the owner.

Cool, just checking. I've never had a mac with a warranty, always bought used and out of warranty :D

----------

There is only one fan on these 13' macbook pro's, on the left side so thats not why.

Hmm... maybe try a reinstall of the OS? I doubt it would help but it's worth a shot before you try to do some logic board repair.

appleistheshiz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
even if the sensor is broke, why would that make the whole macbook run slow? It might be the sata cable to the hard drive.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
even if the sensor is broke, why would that make the whole macbook run slow? It might be the sata cable to the hard drive.

Why? The MacBook uses these sensors to gauge how hot the CPU is. If the CPU gets too hot, then the hardware will throttle itself to prevent thermal damage. In other words, this throttling will slow down your CPU to diminish heat utput.

w00t951

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
My 2011 MacBook Pro's integrated GPU diode is messed up. It usually reads -128C, which is obviously incorrect. I just gave up, since it never caused me any problems.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
My 2011 MacBook Pro's integrated GPU diode is messed up. It usually reads -128C, which is obviously incorrect. I just gave up, since it never caused me any problems.

You can get it fixed. Apple will swap that out as its a hardware defect. Besides, there is no easy way to fix that burnt/broken diode.

Astroboy907

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2012
Spaceball One
Obviously, the i7-2820QM, like most other mobile chips, is BGA, not LGA. But how much would Apple want if I took it to the Store without a warranty?

Don't know exactly, maybe around $300, maybe $600. But they might be generous and replace the board for free if you show it is a defect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.