Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
So I had to reinstall OS X on my MBA and halfway through the installer it said it failed. I restarted my mac, reset the PRam (which did nothing) and booted back into the internet recovery. My Air has never been opened so I don't think the connection is loose.

Maybe it's the crap Toshitta (phun intended) SSD?

The picture is upside down. Click on it and it'll go right side up.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    597.3 KB · Views: 1,332
Last edited:

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
Here's an update. I'm desparate to get this thing working cause I need it in a few hours. I made a Windows 7 flash drive (if the SSD appeared I would have formatted it in hopes that it would appear in the OS X installer), still nothing. Under D-Ban the drive is ???? so still unrecognized.

Update: Ran "df- h" in Terminal. Doesn't even detect the drive under /dev/diskX

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    440 KB · Views: 666
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    494.7 KB · Views: 835
  • photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    621.1 KB · Views: 652
Last edited:

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
All of that failed. I ended up chatting with Applecare and what will happen is I should get a box at latest Wednesday. So then I send it back to them and they shall fix it! Or give me a refurb, that'd be nice!

So good job on Apple for making it easy.

simon0929

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
All of that failed. I ended up chatting with Applecare and what will happen is I should get a box at latest Wednesday. So then I send it back to them and they shall fix it! Or give me a refurb, that'd be nice!

So good job on Apple for making it easy.

I have the same problem as you had. If my SSD is not showing up, does that mean it's dead?

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 17, 2013
I have the same problem as you had. If my SSD is not showing up, does that mean it's dead?

Dang! Never expected to see this thread again. Yeah at that point your drive is toast. Apple ended up replacing mine under warranty.

Your best bet now is to find a replacement SSD on eBay that was pulled from a machine or visit OWC at http://www.macsales.com/ and take a look at their replacement drives there.

simon0929

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2017
Dang! Never expected to see this thread again. Yeah at that point your drive is toast. Apple ended up replacing mine under warranty.

Your best bet now is to find a replacement SSD on eBay that was pulled from a machine or visit OWC at http://www.macsales.com/ and take a look at their replacement drives there.

Aww. And I was trying to sell this MacBook Air too. That sucks for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.