Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 18, 2013, 12:53 PM   #1
macness
macrumors 6502

Why Can't apple apps communicate with one another?

So I am a lond time apple user. Unfortunately I'm using a Galaxy Note 2 for work due to screen size. (I need a cross between a tablet and a phone)

Anyways. I miss my iPhone 5 and iOS. The only thing I've noticed and come to love about android is the way the applications communicate. I love how I can share content between applications without having to do something like copy and pate a URL.

Take the app 'Pocket' for example.
If I want to share a web page with pocket on my android I just click share and chose the pocket icon from the list if icons. My iPhone on the other hand forces me to first add Pocket to my email contacts. Then when I want to share a we page I have to click share and then email the URL to my Pocket account.

Why does apple do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1376848418730.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	428988  
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:03 PM   #2
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

SakuraSuki is that you??
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:04 PM   #3
Dalton63841
macrumors 65816

The apps in iOS are sandboxed. It is what makes iOS less susceptible to malware than other platforms. Without sandboxing, if an app is downloaded that has malware, it could theoretically infect the entire system. With sandboxing, if an infected app is downloaded, then only that app is broken, while the rest of the system remains untouched.

This is also the ACTUAL reason that Apple doesn't like jailbreaking. It takes away the sandbox(in a manner of speaking).
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:27 PM   #4
SakuraSuki
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalton63841 View Post
The apps in iOS are sandboxed. It is what makes iOS less susceptible to malware than other platforms. Without sandboxing, if an app is downloaded that has malware, it could theoretically infect the entire system. With sandboxing, if an infected app is downloaded, then only that app is broken, while the rest of the system remains untouched.

This is also the ACTUAL reason that Apple doesn't like jailbreaking. It takes away the sandbox(in a manner of speaking).
Heck no.... Aren't all the app need get Apple approve anyway? App cannot communicate with each other is big annoyance, not just me, but also OP. You see, anyone who came across Android like this feature and seriously his is a selling pint for Android.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
SakuraSuki is that you??
No, just came back from Church....
SakuraSuki is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:27 PM   #5
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't apple do extensive testing before allowing an app into the App Store?

I feel that the architecture change is the biggest reason this isn't implemented. I agree with OP though, that's the ONLY thing I miss from Android (well that and native google maps).
Parise is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:30 PM   #6
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

and when Apple implements this, people will be like "lol copying from Android they had this for years" .
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:33 PM   #7
SakuraSuki
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parise View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't apple do extensive testing before allowing an app into the App Store?

I feel that the architecture change is the biggest reason this isn't implemented. I agree with OP though, that's the ONLY thing I miss from Android (well that and native google maps).
Aren't you missing ability to change default app and convince of file managing app. Could not go back to iPhone after switch to Nexus 4

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
and when Apple implements this, people will be like "lol copying from Android they had this for years" .
Yes... And seriously who cares, just implementing it and make people happy. It isn't like you will loss money in the process
SakuraSuki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 01:42 PM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakuraSuki View Post
Aren't you missing ability to change default app and convince of file managing app. Could not go back to iPhone after switch to Nexus 4

----------

Yes... And seriously who cares, just implementing it and make people happy. It isn't like you will loss money in the process
A few days ago you were telling me iOS 7 had no new features or something like that and that it was a gimmick and taken from android
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:09 PM   #9
macness
macrumors 6502

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1624496

----------

I started a thread about what is keeping people from going back to ios
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:15 PM   #10
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

You know a "power user" want this, but I don't recall any of my 15 friends and family who want this feature. They care about not having virus, decent battery life, good user experience, a great camera.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:18 PM   #11
Parise
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rottenapple View Post
You know a "power user" want this, but I don't recall any of my 15 friends and family who want this feature. They care about not having virus, decent battery life, good user experience, a great camera.
15 people is a horrible sample size. My grandmother actually complained about this the other day.

Let's stop with this "power user" urban legend. It's 2013, most individuals are very well versed with electronics, especially their iphone.
Parise is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:30 PM   #12
old-wiz
macrumors 604

Quote:
Apparently not as much as you might think - a recent trojan managed to get through the Apple testing.
old-wiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 02:58 PM   #13
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

Apps do communicate with one another. I can download a video in Puffin Browser and open it in VLC.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:11 PM   #14
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's 2013, most individuals are very well versed with electronics, especially their iphone.
You must be kidding if you think most people are "very well versed with electronics." Geek Squad would be out of business if that was true.
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:24 PM   #15
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1rottenapple View Post
So average people Dont use Evernote, Pocket, Google +....?? Because I'm pretty sure average people would want to share information to those apps
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:26 PM   #16
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by macness View Post
So average people Dont use Evernote, Pocket, Google +....?? Because I'm pretty sure average people would want to share information to those apps
Yup! Just saying people who I've gone to grad school with, friends and family, all of whom aren't nerdy like me and post on forums don't give two ****** that. They care about Facebook, Instagram, the iPod app, etc
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:47 PM   #17
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Google+?! 90% of the US probably couldn't tell you what that is . Evernote is really the only one out of those 3 that average people might use. Mostly college students.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 03:58 PM   #18
batting1000
macrumors 601

This thread doesn't belong in the iOS 7 forum.
batting1000 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:09 PM   #19
macness
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaoso View Post
Google+?! 90% of the US probably couldn't tell you what that is . Evernote is really the only one out of those 3 that average people might use. Mostly college students.
Really? I live in Canada and I only know one person who uses Google+ I always thought Americans used it
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:15 PM   #20
TennisandMusic

Quote:

Android apps are sandboxed.
TennisandMusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:19 PM   #21
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

I know of Google+ but I don't use it, I think I signed up for it once with my gmail and posted one thing and that was it lol
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:29 PM   #22
snappyfool
macrumors 6502a

There's good cross-app 'Open In...' support handled by the OS. Apps that can handle a certain file type will be included in the apps you can open it in. It'd be great if Apple could do a similar 'Share' thing. Communication across apps is not impossible in the sandboxed environment, just has to be done in certain approved ways.
snappyfool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 04:44 PM   #23
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Really? I live in Canada and I only know one person who uses Google+ I always thought Americans used it
Nope. I don't know one person who uses Google+. I think it's mostly the "crazy, obsessed" android people. (Not all, but I think that would be the biggest majority of people who use it on a daily basis.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappyfool View Post
There's good cross-app 'Open In...' support handled by the OS. Apps that can handle a certain file type will be included in the apps you can open it in. It'd be great if Apple could do a similar 'Share' thing. Communication across apps is not impossible in the sandboxed environment, just has to be done in certain approved ways.
I think iOS has a decent start to it, for example opening PDF's in different apps, but there is definitely room for improvement to say the least. But honestly, for the most part it doesn't affect my workflow very often, but it is annoying when it does.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 07:57 PM   #24
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a

You can interact in iOS also just the methodology changes

For your particular example of Pocket all I did was use the share button in Safari and 'copy'

Then I opened Pocket and got the option to add it automatically

SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2013, 09:12 PM   #25
g35
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevRana View Post
You can interact in iOS also just the methodology changes

For your particular example of Pocket all I did was use the share button in Safari and 'copy'

Then I opened Pocket and got the option to add it automatically

The point is that this won't work in every app. For example, saving from the NYTimes app to Pocket requires the email method. It's very clunky. On Android you can long press an item in Dropbox and open it almost anywhere. Lots of examples like this. Apple has not been shy about stealing Android features in the past, they should not hesitate to use this one either. I would hope they'd all steal good features from each other and everyone could have the best of all worlds on their phones.
g35 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7