Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
In addition to the sporadic narcolepsy episodes my 2013 11" MBA is having, it also goes right to sleep if it is connected to a TBD and then I remove the mag-safe. Is that normal? I think maybe the laptop immediately goes to sleep. If i open the lid and log back in while keeping the TB cable plugged in it will come back up when i go back to clamshell mode - but after 15-20 seconds it goes right back to sleep.

This is HUGELY annoying because i keep the air on a stand and need to unplug it to take it down so I can get to the onboard USB port.

Is this normal?

thanks

tbl

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
No worries, this is indeed normal. MacBooks only run in clamshell mode if they're plugged in. Otherwise as you experienced, they just go to sleep.

DisplacedMic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 1, 2009
No worries, this is indeed normal. MacBooks only run in clamshell mode if they're plugged in. Otherwise as you experienced, they just go to sleep.

i see. so is it good practice to unplug the magsafe before unplugging the tb cable?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.