Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 5, 2009
So I can tell that I have a lot of clutter floating around my HDD, but I'm not sure how to get to it. My storage shows a lot of other, even though I have backups turned off.

What are some general cleaning guidelines? Theres gotta be some things that can be emptied that I just don't know about.

Thanks!

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Best way to clean it is to upgrade to an SSD :)

How does that possibly clear clutter off a drive?

OP, there are a few tools you can get that will show what/where your storage space is going and should help identify the problem folders or areas.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
There may be a lot of "little" things floating around, but I wouldn't focus on those too much. You'd have to clear out a LOT in order to regain any appreciable amount of space. I would suggest installing DaisyDisk and scanning as Administrator (The app has that option built-in), then drilling down into the areas taking up the most space to see if you have anything you no longer need/use. I wouldn't touch core OS files or areas, but scanning as Admin will show you where basically all of your space is going.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.