Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Hi,

I have a 15-inch rMBP (early 2013) and websites with quality images and photos look amazing : very sharp photos, fonts are not jagged, etc, which is great to look at. I have my screen on "More Space" which equals to 1920x1200.

At the same time, on the same machine, I'm running Windows 7 with VMware Fusion 5 (latest version), also at a resolution of 1920x1200, and the same high-quality website (in the same browser) doesn't look so good : photos are not sharp and fonts are jagged.

How's that possible? VMware screen Driver?

Thanks,
Kris

BASTI51

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2010
Germany
Thats probably because in Mac OS it is just like 1920x1200 (but truly it is 3840x2400) and under windows it is exactly 1920x1200 and looks pretty blurry. In windows you need to set your native resolution to 2880x1800 and choose 150% dpi scaling for an equal experience (or even sharper because of the native resolution).

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
In windows you need to set your native resolution to 2880x1800 and choose 150% dpi scaling for an equal experience (or even sharper because of the native resolution).

What you wrote made a lot of sense, so I tried it, but it didn't work : the fonts and images were even more blurry. I guess that Microsoft or VMware is just not optimized for High-DPI/retina screens? :(

MathBunny123

macrumors regular
Well, when running in bootcamp with the 150% DPI it runs very clear to me, but some applications are not optimized.

For example in Parallels there's an option for the Retina display, not sure if this video will help, but there's a dedicated option for Windows 7 (don't think there is for Windows XP though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Crc7IUDMth4

For instance Minecraft renders clearly & small, but Chrome doesn't render well because it uses it's own text rendering system, while IE runs perfectly fine! It depends on the application.

kvdv

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2008
Well, when running in bootcamp with the 150% DPI it runs very clear to me, but some applications are not optimized.

Strange. I couldn't get to 2880x1800 though. For me, the max. in Windows 7 was : 2560x1600 and this gave an overall blurry result.

sarthak

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
I use Windows To Go with Windows 8 Enterprise. That way you can have a copy of Windows on an external SSD connected via USB 3.0.

Few downsides include lack of store access, cost of Win8 Enterprise license and accidental unplugging of the SSD will cause corruption of critical Windows files.

Installed WinToGo on the SSD by using Win8 Enterprise in Parallels.

Otherwise, you can use BootCamp.

Parallels does look quite smooth, there is little difference between Parallels and running Windows natively.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.