Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
My 2007 Mini runs an SSD and today won't boot.

Stuck on the spinning wheel.

Tried Pram, smc and safe mode (which just hangs for about 20 mins and does nothing)

Help :(

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I have lion and have recovery mode yeah .. I'll loose my data though right?

I tried recovery mode earlier but had no mouse so couldn't proceed :(

Will that be my fix?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
When you boot into Recovery Mode you will see a list of utilities. Disk Utility maybe able to do a disk repair that will allow you to properly boot your mini.

How I understand it is that your data will be erased only if the Recovery Mode is not found on your hard drive and needs to be downloaded from Apple's servers.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
It says 121 hours to restore?!

Over 100mb fibre? For real? Something is up!

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
Always start with a Combo Update in these cases. Safe to do, does not destroy anything and repairs many boot problems. BTW, are you using a Sata 600 SSD on a Sata 150 controller? That can give problems too.

Daniel97

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Yeah I can get to recovery disk utility and the drive says it's okay on repair?

I've just tried installing a recovery to another external drive and that too says 121 hours?!

So aurely this means it isn't the drive?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
121 hours for a Restore or a Reinstall?

Go back into Recovery Mode and using Disk Utility run Repair Disk (again) and then repair Permissions. Confirm that the disk's S.M.A.R.T status is Verified. Then quit Disk Utility to return to the main menu and select Reinstall Lion. This should just reinstall the OS and keep your user accounts intact.

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
I forgot to mention running fsck in Single User mode. Safe Mode is supposed to run fsck but you indicated no success.

To enter Single User mode restart the mini while also holding down the Apple key and the S key (before the bong sound). You should get a bunch of text and then a command prompt. Below is from Apple's support page http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1417:

At the command-line prompt type:

/sbin/fsck -fy

Press Return. fsck will go through five "phases" and then return information about your disk's use and fragmentation. Once it finishes, it'll display this message if no issue is found:
** The volume (name_of_volume) appears to be OK
If fsck found issues and has altered, repaired, or fixed anything, it will display this message:
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Important: If this message appears, repeat the fsck command you typed in step 2 until fsck tells you that your volume appears to be OK (first-pass repairs may uncover additional issues, so this is a normal thing to do).

When fsck reports that your volume is OK, type reboot at the prompt and then press Return.
Your computer should start up normally and allow you to log in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.