Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hannesoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Hej.

I will probably get a Macbook Air with 11.6-inch screen with 1.3GHz Inter Core i5, 128 GB flash storage and 4 GB memory. I will probably use Logic Pro when I make music. I will get the Macbook Air from school so I can't choose another. How well can I make music on it?

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Hej.

I will probably get a Macbook Air with 11.6-inch screen with 1.3GHz Inter Core i5, 128 GB flash storage and 4 GB memory. I will probably use Logic Pro when I make music. I will get the Macbook Air from school so I can't choose another. How well can I make music on it?

Very well.

:confused:

Logic Pro on an Air? If you have to ask...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I used a 2011 13" i5/4gb/256gb MBA with Logic for almost two years and it ran great. You should be fine, although 128GB isn't much disk space so you will probably want an external drive. The screen on the 11" model is a bit small, but an external monitor can fix that too.

I just sold my 13" MBA and upgraded to a new 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA, and really like it also. The 11" model is great for travel.

hannesoth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2013
Very well.

:confused:

Logic Pro on an Air? If you have to ask...

What do you mean? Will Logic Pro run well or not?

----------

I used a 2011 13" i5/4gb/256gb MBA with Logic for almost two years and it ran great. You should be fine, although 128GB isn't much disk space so you will probably want an external drive. The screen on the 11" model is a bit small, but an external monitor can fix that too.

I just sold my 13" MBA and upgraded to a new 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA, and really like it also. The 11" model is great for travel.

Okay, sounds great. Yea exactly it's great for travel and using it at school and when I'm home I will use an external monitor. Thanks for your reply.

Suraj R.

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Canada
Hej.

Yes, I have used Logic flawlessly on my 2013 13" i5/8/128 model. Logic ran semi-decently on my old C2D iMac so you should be fine.

AXs

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2009
You're not going to be lacking power nor RAM.

What you're going to be lacking, are ports.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Yeah, that bothered me at first. Had to replace my firewire interface with a USB interface. But I now have a 4 channel Akai EIE pro USB interface and it fits my (modest) needs perfectly. It also includes a 3 port powered USB hub, which is handy.

I have a Seagate thunderbolt dock that you can snap external drives into. It cost about $130 and the drives range from $100-$200 depending on size. It has a pass-through port and I connect my (ancient) 23" 1920x1200 Apple Cinema display to that.

I believe you can now get a thunderbolt to firewire adaptor at a reasonable cost. And there's also an inexpensive thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor.

So it may not be optimal, but it's certainly possible to make-do with the limited ports. And it seems like a reasonable trade-off for the portability. I don't find it at all limiting anymore, which is why I just got a 2013 MBA after two years using a 2011 MBA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.