Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
I'm trying to set up port forwarding to forward ports to my Ooma and AT&T 3G MicroCell (since I get poor cell reception at home).

For Ooma, I need to forward: UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-30000; TCP 110, TCP 53 and TCP 443

For the MicroCell, I need to forward: UDP 123, UDP 4500, UDP 500; TCP 443.

As you can see, both devices utilize UDP 123 and TCP 443.

I created a rule for Ooma with all the ports. However, when I created the MicroCell forwarding rule, I was advised the ports were already being forwarded to another device.

Is there a way to forward ports to multiple devices? Also, does iMessage/FaceTime use any of these ports, and will forwarding them to Ooma/MicroCell effect them? If so, how can I prevent FaceTime from being affected?

Thanks!

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Neither of those devices should require port forwarding - just the ability to communicate on those ports. What router do you have?

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to forward same external port to 2 different internal destinations. (even if it were, what would be the benefit? unless both machines would process same requests in exactly the same way synchronously?)
The best you can do in such a situation, is use different external ports for this.
E.g one 443 you can forward to one internal HTTPS server. For another, you choose some other port, like 4433 and forward it to your second HTTPS server.
Sure, your external clients will need to have the option to specify precise ports for connecting then. For a web browser, this is not a problem. But for some mobile application, it could be.
List of ports Apple products use, you can find here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
You don't need to forward ports to your ooma device.

This port information can be useful if you have a special network configuration with a firewall device upstream of the Ooma Hub or Telo that restricts application ports on the inside or "private side" of your network for outbound traffic. Firewalls are typically on by default for inbound traffic and no special modifications are required to allow that traffic through.

The time capsule won't block outbound traffic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.