Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:40 AM   #1
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Narcissistic Douchebag or 2A Activist?

I vote for narcissistic douchebag.

Quote:
In one video, Holcomb wanders about a Walmart for several minutes before he is approached by two store employees and asked to leave. He argues briefly with those two employees until a manager approaches and threatens to call the police if he does not exit the store. Although Holcomb then agrees to leave the store, he refuses a request to stop videoing the engagement — at one point, his camera man claims the recording is for Holcomb’s “safety.”

Holcomb told a local news station that the purpose of his conspicuously armed visits to Huntsville businesses is to protest a Texas law which permits gun owners to openly carry long rifles but not handguns, which must be concealed and can only be carried by individuals with valid concealed carry permits.

Several similar videos on his Youtube channel.

Last edited by rdowns; Aug 20, 2013 at 09:51 AM.
rdowns is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 09:49 AM   #2
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Narcissistic Douchebag or 2A Activist?

Didn't know there was a difference.
Blue Velvet is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:19 AM   #3
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

He's one fine Amurikan.

land of the freaks and home of the depraved
citizenzen is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 10:42 AM   #4
.Andy
macrumors 68030

My vote's for Grade A moron. That's not the way to go about making any kind of political statement.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:47 AM   #5
samiwas
macrumors 65816

I don't get it. I'm not watching the video because that would give him more publicity, and I hate watching videos of douchebags (oh, I guess that's my vote). But, a private business asks him to leave and he argues? What is his argument? Are businesses in Texas not allowed to make their own decisions as to whether they want guns in their business? If they ask you to leave, do your 2A rights supercede that?

Outside of whatever his "rights" are, I just see him as another narcissistic d-bag "exersizin' muh rites".
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:02 PM   #6
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

I am all for gun rights and support of the 2nd Amendment, but this guys was just trying to get rise. This is not the way to go about this as it will backfire and give the anti gun crowd more ammo.
tshrimp is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 PM   #7
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshrimp View Post
... it will backfire and give the anti gun crowd more ammo.
I see what you did there
anonymouslurker is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:06 PM   #8
rhett7660
macrumors G3

I am going to feel sorry for the police officer that draws down on one of these guys and ends up taking them out because the person wants to argue with the them and reaches for the "unloaded" gun.

It is going to happen, just a matter of time.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:18 PM   #9
dec.
macrumors 6502a

Does that gun take magazines or clips?
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:51 PM   #10
yg17
In Time-Out

How insecure does one have to be about their manhood to walk around with a rifle like that?
yg17 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 12:55 PM   #11
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Boy this a real bastion of tolerance and understanding for the right of people to peacefully protest around here. Not.

I can only imagine what you guys would have had to say about the civil rights movement in 1962.

>
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:00 PM   #12
yg17
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewishMacGuy View Post
Boy this a real bastion of tolerance and understanding for the right of people to peacefully protest around here. Not.

I can only imagine what you guys would have had to say about the civil rights movement in 1962.

>
Because the two scenarios are obviously the same
yg17 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 01:34 PM   #13
Bug-Creator
macrumors regular

Quote:
Boy this a real bastion of tolerance and understanding for the right of people to peacefully protest around here.
"peacefully protest" would be holding a sign in front of Wal*Mart, not acting like a complete a## taking his gun into a privatly owned placed (at which point he perfectly knew his gun-right would be superceded by the shop-owners right to his property).

And again, atleast he wasn't wearing a hoody !!
Bug-Creator is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:00 PM   #14
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec. View Post
Does that gun take magazines or clips?
If serious:

All repeating guns take magazines, bullets can come on clips. You generally use clips of bullets to fill your magazine. The attached is a clip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stripper clip .jpg
Views:	14
Size:	33.3 KB
ID:	429235  
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:14 PM   #15
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
It's hardly peaceful if bystanders going about their own business are feeling threatened and intimidated by a firearm.

If he wants to protest peacefully do so to the people who make the laws. Not by intimidating the general public who are just doing their shopping.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:22 PM   #16
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
It's hardly peaceful if bystanders going about their own business are feeling threatened and intimidated by a firearm.
While I generally fall in on your side of the gun argument (though not as extreme) I'd argue here that a gun loaded or unloaded slung on somebodies back should be neither threatening nor intimidating and if it is maybe they ought to do some soul searching.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:35 PM   #17
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:

What a prize-winningly wankerific and historically ignorant comment. Astonishing. Utterly disgusting trying to appropriate the gains of the civil rights movement and apply them to the types of people who were historically their murderers and oppressors.

The strategy of the majority civil rights movement was that it was peaceful. Unarmed and non-violent. Dedicated to overturning injustice. In return, it coped with church bombings and the killing of kids, imprisonment and assassination.

Only an alleged internet loudmouth 'black guy' could be so blind to their own people's recent history. To equate these arsewipes and hicks who always talk of liberties, but are never concerned with other people's civil rights with Medgar Evers and Martin Luther King and all those who marched and rode down to the South, is easily the most absurd and ugliest thing I've read here in months.

Go back to school. You should be embarrassed that a foreigner understands the recent history of your country better than you do. People who are still alive lived through all this stuff.

The lowest of the low.
Blue Velvet is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:40 PM   #18
Macky-Mac
macrumors 68020

the store manager did exactly the right thing in throwing this guy out of the store
Macky-Mac is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 02:46 PM   #19
juanm
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
One quick question for open carry supporters:

Does it make you feel safe, or is it just to make a point? Because, if it's for your safety, if anything, I could be counter productive:

If somebody wants to harm you, while CC, they might come at you unarmed or lightly armed, and you have a fair chance to use your gun as a deterrent just by showing it.

If someone wants to mug you, and you OC, because they are aware of your defense potential, they will attack you from the back, by surprise, and armed.

On the other hand
If someone doesn't want to do you any harm, they will feel threatened.

You could push the hypothesis to the extreme, and consider that the chances of some security guard reacting violently if you show up with a pistol or a rifle would increase exponentially.
Also, if a shooting happened close to you, you'd probably unholster your gun in case you need to protect yourself and, in the resulting confusion, you'd have a fair chance of being mistaken for one of the criminals by the police, and shot.

I mean, it's not like you're always under scrutiny by everybody around and they will decide to attack you depending on how many weapons you appear to have.

I don't know if I made my question clear... basically, it comes down to the logic of whether open carry negates the gun carrying itself.
juanm is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:15 PM   #20
.Andy
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
While I generally fall in on your side of the gun argument (though not as extreme) I'd argue here that a gun loaded or unloaded slung on somebodies back should be neither threatening nor intimidating and if it is maybe they ought to do some soul searching.
On the contrary. If I am out shopping the last thing I expect to see is a muppet carrying around a firearm that could kill dozens of people effortlessly. No soul-searching necessary. I think it's completely natural to feel threatened and intimidated by such a weapon in such an environment.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:18 PM   #21
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Andy View Post
On the contrary. If I am out shopping the last thing I expect to see is a muppet carrying around a firearm that could kill dozens of people effortlessly. No soul-searching necessary. I think it's completely natural to feel threatened and intimidated by such a weapon in such an environment.
I'd be no more scared of a gun slung on someones back than a would a hammer strapped to someones belt.

My concern is the gun I don't see..
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:21 PM   #22
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Would you feel the same if he had walked into a school instead of a Wal-Mart?

You don't think the teachers or students would have a right to be frightened or intimidated?

The people shopping in that store didn't know him or his intentions. He could have easily grabbed the gun and shot at multiple people. People should be wary of a strange guy in a store carrying a weapon.
Moyank24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:39 PM   #23
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Would you feel the same if he had walked into a school instead of a Wal-Mart?

You don't think the teachers or students would have a right to be frightened or intimidated?

The people shopping in that store didn't know him or his intentions. He could have easily grabbed the gun and shot at multiple people. People should be wary of a strange guy in a store carrying a weapon.
Yes, because I have faith in adults. The known threat is much diminished.
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:40 PM   #24
NewishMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by yg17 View Post
Because the two scenarios are obviously the same
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug-Creator View Post
"peacefully protest" would be holding a sign in front of Wal*Mart, not acting like a complete a## taking his gun into a privatly owned placed (at which point he perfectly knew his gun-right would be superceded by the shop-owners right to his property).

And again, atleast he wasn't wearing a hoody !!
As part of civil rights demonstrations all over the country African-Americans publicly displayed firearms (usually long guns) as symbols of their right to bear arms and protect themselves from tyranny by Jim Crow governments who were actively trying to disarm and then oppress them.

>
Old Aug 20, 2013, 03:42 PM   #25
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Yes, because I have faith in adults. The known threat is much diminished.
I'm not sure history would agree with you. Just because they see the gun doesn't mean they shouldn't be scared of it - nor does it mean they can actually defend themselves against it.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues