Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
My wife's employer upgraded her work computer to a new Mac Air. The IT dept transferred all of her old files, but those files now have "read only" permission on the Mac Air.

Is there any way to batch change all their permissions, or should we have the IT dept. retransfer the files with different settings?

----------

Could this be fixed by simply having an admin log in, pull up the info for the hard drive and change sharing to read & write?

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
If you have an IT department, then you should get them to do things properly and/or fix any problems.

There is of course a way (several ways) to change the permissions so you can write them. The easiest way is by doing Get Info on the enclosing folder and changing the options at the bottom of the panel, and tick the box for changing the enclosed items.

The best way to fix it is to use Terminal commands, but ideally, you ned to know what the current settings are and where the files are first.

mrzeigler

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2005
Pittsburgh
If you have an IT department, then you should get them to do things properly and/or fix any problems.

There is of course a way (several ways) to change the permissions so you can write them. The easiest way is by doing Get Info on the enclosing folder and changing the options at the bottom of the panel, and tick the box for changing the enclosed items.

The best way to fix it is to use Terminal commands, but ideally, you ned to know what the current settings are and where the files are first.

Thanks. My wife said a new hire at the IT dept. handled the transfer. I hope this person learns quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.