Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
My friend gave me his old MacBook pro and the charger when you plug it in the light on the charger goes orange for about a minute or 2 then it goes green and the battery isn't charged because when I hit the power button nothing happens why would it be doing this?

luisito

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2012
My friend gave me his old MacBook pro and the charger when you plug it in the light on the charger goes orange for about a minute or 2 then it goes green and the battery isn't charged because when I hit the power button nothing happens why would it be doing this?

Perhaps your cable/adapter are broken, thus not charging. It is supposed to first turn green, and then orange and not the other way around.

Try powering the computer with another adapter.

And perhaps you should ask your friend what is going on, since he was the previous owner.

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
I tried that and its still doing the same and its a brand new charger just got it this morning at best buy the old charger went out

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Check out the link for Troubleshooting MagSafe adapters at the bottom of the CHARGING section of the Battery FAQ. Also, for battery, power, or charging issues, you might try resetting the SMC.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
I tried to reset the smc but its not working my MacBook wont turn on

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
Does the Mac power on and can you use it while plugged in?

If so, perhaps you should check the battery health using CoconutBattery - http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutbattery/

The battery could be toast and thus not taking a charge. Have to say, though, you're not providing many details even after being provided with links to help troubleshoot battery problems... ;)

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
My MacBook wont turn on the power buttons not working and the charger light keeps going orange and green

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
My MacBook wont turn on the power buttons not working and the charger light keeps going orange and green

I think you found out why your friend gave it to you...it's broken. If it won't even turn on then that makes it rather hard to diagnose/troubleshoot.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
But I had it running yesterday

If I had to guess, I'd say the battery is bad and has a shorted cell which is causing the charger circuit to overload and reset (Thus the charge light switching back and forth from green to orange) and the Mac is unable to power on.

Not powering on and the charger showing green (or switching) is a symptom of a toasted battery.

Yahooligan

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2011
Illinois
You could try powering it on without the battery installed, some people have had success with that, others seem to have been able to get it to power up by doing an SMC reset with the power and battery removed, others seem to have had success getting it to power on without the battery by unplugging the power and battery, holding down the power button, then plugging in the charger...I'm sure others have even tried voodoo.

But without knowing more, and the fact that it did power on for you at some point, does make me lean towards it being a bad battery. I'd hate to tell you to go out and spend money on a part that won't solve your problem, so perhaps someone else will chime in and confirm what I've said or offer up another suggestion.

ajw1275

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 9, 2012
I just got a brand new battery and its still not turning on but the light to charge the battery is staying orange now. Any ideas why its not turning on now?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.