Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is now selling JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness on the iTunes Movie Store three weeks ahead of its September 10th general release.

The film is available in HD for $20 and SD for $15, or as a $25 HD bundle with the prior Star Trek film. There is no rental option -- rentals will be available September 10th -- and it appears to only be available to U.S. iTunes customers.

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS is the best-reviewed blockbuster of the year. When a ruthless mastermind known as Khan (Benedict Cumberbatch) declares a one-man war on the Federation, Captain Kirk (Chris Pine), Spock (Zachary Quinto), and the daring crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise will embark on the greatest manhunt in history. It will take all of their skills and teamwork to defend Earth and eliminate Khan's threat in this "sleek, thrilling epic." (Owen Gleiberman, Entertainment Weekly)
A number of independent or smaller-budget films have launched day-and-date or even ahead of their theatrical release on iTunes, but the three-week early purchase window ahead of a DVD/Blu-Ray release is part of an effort by the major studios to jumpstart more profitable digital sales. Apple has offered early streaming access to music albums in the past.

Star Trek Into Darkness is available in HD on iTunes for $20. [Direct Link]

Article Link: 'Star Trek Into Darkness' Gets Early Release on iTunes with Bundle Deal

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
And, yet, it took months, maybe it was over a year, before How to Train a Dragon appeared on iTunes.

Could It be that the studios are finally catching on to where their customers are, technologically?

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
And, yet, it took months, maybe it was over a year, before How to Train a Dragon appeared on iTunes.

Could It be that the studios are finally catching on to where their customers are, technologically?

not sure but is that a Dreamworks production and since they are competition with Pixar/Disney/Apple they held off?

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
and ...here come the "pricing" weiner posts

Apple don't control the top level pricing.
Apple don't control the distribution times

You don't have to buy the ****ing format if you don't like it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Apply really needs a Bundle-up or some other thing similar to Complete my Album so that those if us who bought earlier movies can get decent pricing. Right now Bourne Collection is $30 for all four movies in HD. But for someone who has one or two already, where is the incentive?

Likewise, like they did with iTunes Plus and the ability to buy higher bitrate songs to replace the lower ones, they need an HD upgrade path. If I bought an iTunes movie at a time when either HD was not yet available or it was but the movie only released in SD, give me a pricing break to upgrade to the HD version. Same with iTunes Extras. Any movie you bought that added iTunes Extras after your purchase should make that immediately available as a download at no charge.

The only thing Apple is teaching consumers is to wait to buy as they will get more complete content.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Just bought movies 1-10 for $49.99 in HD. Which is still available on iTunes BTW.

Already have digital copy of previous version, but its not in HD.

Already have combo pack with the ship on pre-order which includes digital copy.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Apple don't control the top level pricing.
Apple don't control the distribution times

You don't have to buy the ****ing format if you don't like it.

Don't think that the people who complained were complaining about Apple. But I agree with the sentiment that digital downloads should be cheaper than physical media.

The argument from media outlets has historically been that it costs them money to press the media, package it, distribute it, etc. Well, guess what. There are none of those costs here. Why should I pay them $20 for a digital download when I can buy the physical disc for the same price? Granted, I have no desire for the physical disc, but why should they get the extra money?

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Apply really needs a Bundle-up or some other thing similar to Complete my Album so that those if us who bought earlier movies can get decent pricing. Right now Bourne Collection is $30 for all four movies in HD. But for someone who has one or two already, where is the incentive?

Likewise, like they did with iTunes Plus and the ability to buy higher bitrate songs to replace the lower ones, they need an HD upgrade path. If I bought an iTunes movie at a time when either HD was not yet available or it was but the movie only released in SD, give me a pricing break to upgrade to the HD version. Same with iTunes Extras. Any movie you bought that added iTunes Extras after your purchase should make that immediately available as a download at no charge.

The only thing Apple is teaching consumers is to wait to buy as they will get more complete content.

I agree, especially what i bolded, but bet this is the hands of studios as well. Look at the digital copy with physical disc bundles. Some companies the digital copy is HD, others it isn't.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.