Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
I don't think it's a coincidence that Apple's mobile processor iterations and the corresponding version of iOS are numbered in synchrony. iOS 7 IS LITERALLY OPTIMIZED FOR devices with an A7 processor. It's funny how people pass judgment on software when the hardware to run it properly doesn't even exist yet.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Well, that's what Apple hopes you think. Makes the 5S more enticing. But really, that's all bunk.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
I don't think it's a coincidence that Apple's mobile processor iterations and the corresponding version of iOS are numbered in synchrony. iOS 7 IS LITERALLY OPTIMIZED FOR devices with an A7 processor. It's funny how people pass judgment on software when the hardware to run it properly doesn't even exist yet.

The phone that will ship with the A7 and iOS 7 will also be the 7th gen iPhone. The iPhone 5S = iPhone 7 if apple didn't do the "S" thing.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's just that so far Apple creates a new iteration of their mobile processor on a yearly interval, as they create a new iteration of iOS on a yearly interval. Will any software run at least somewhat better on newer hardware? That's almost a given. But, there isn't necessarily any specific connection there though for the most part.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
It's just that so far Apple creates a new iteration of their mobile processor on a yearly interval, as they create a new iteration of iOS on a yearly interval. Will any software run at least somewhat better on newer hardware? That's almost a given. But, there isn't necessarily any specific connection there though for the most part.

No connections in history are more specific than those within Apple's nomenclature, especially during the Jobs era which encompassed four iterations of A#/iOS# parity

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No connections in history are more specific than those within Apple's nomenclature, especially during the Jobs era which encompassed four iterations of A#/iOS# parity
Connection or not, the fact that newer hardware would run pretty much any software better (in one way or another) than older hardware is hardly a surprise.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
...It's funny how people pass judgment on software when the hardware to run it properly doesn't even exist yet.
Actually devs and not moochers of iOS7 think iOS7 on their current iPhone works great. The ones who tend to complain are people who get the betas and are not devs so they can't even install it properly.

cleo1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 16, 2013
Actually devs and not moochers of iOS7 think iOS7 on their current iPhone works great. The ones who tend to complain are people who get the betas and are not devs so they can't even install it properly.

While I, too, think iOS 7 works great on my 5, this is not a subjective matter—much was made of how, though A6 was not the most powerful chip around, Apple's 'handmade' architecture allowed it to be the 'Goldilocks' chip for then-current iOS 6. To hear it from AppleInsider, it was a triumph of efficiency:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/21/first_look_inside_apples_new_iphone_5_a6_chip_appears_to_show_3_gpus_2_cpus

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.