Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's basically up to Apple to enforce any civil action.

Last edited:

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
I think someone needs to call him up and pretend to be from Apple. Ask him where you can serve him with papers for the lawsuit. LOL

ionjohn

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2013
Canada
My couzin knows a guy who earned like $800 by selling udid spots online. All I know is I'm doing it next year haha

SakuraSuki

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2013
I think someone needs to call him up and pretend to be from Apple. Ask him where you can serve him with papers for the lawsuit. LOL

Why? Do Apple appear cares someone do something like that? I know lots of computer store installing pirate Windows for a small fee.

At company this large, corporate simply does not care something small like this. Have you ever see Apple sue some random user for Hackintosh? There are quite few Hackintosh users on youtube. Or do you ever see Microsoft suing a random people in the street using pirated user?

macsrcool1234

Suspended
Oct 7, 2010
Yeah! Lets tie up our already overburdened court system because somebody is installing iOS beta's when they shouldn't!

loanhighknight

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2013
This guy on craiglist said he will install ios 7 beta for $25 now is it illegal for him to do that or not? Here is the actual post from CL http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ele/4010107119.html

There's a difference between 'breach of contract' and 'illegal.' No legislature has passed any laws making it illegal to sell access to Apple's beta test. There are no laws protecting beta tests. There is, however, a contract that all developers agree to stipulating that they will not give access to non-developers through their accounts; your Craigslist guy is willing to breach that contract knowing that Apple will probably never bother going after him for it.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
There's a difference between 'breach of contract' and 'illegal.' No legislature has passed any laws making it illegal to sell access to Apple's beta test. There are no laws protecting beta tests. There is, however, a contract that all developers agree to stipulating that they will not give access to non-developers through their accounts; your Craigslist guy is willing to breach that contract knowing that Apple will probably never bother going after him for it.

Of course there are laws making it illegal. It's called copyright law. :confused:

Tander

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011
Johannesburg, South Africa
Of course there are laws making it illegal. It's called copyright law. :confused:

That law does not apply here.

Apple don't sell iOS updates - so they are free to the public upon release, anyway. Apple have their own agreements with developers not to distribute beta software - punishment for doing do is having their dev account revoked.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Oh jeez - I hope it isn't illegal. I've been charging my family & friends to install iOS 6 on their devices since last December! :rolleyes:

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
You agree to an NDA when you download the beta.
This contract is between you and Apple.
By giving access to the beta to third parties, you violate the NDA.
If you do it for money or not is irrelevant.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
That law does not apply here.

1. The question was about Baltimore, MD, USA. Not South Africa.
2. South Africa obviously has copyright laws.

Apple don't sell iOS updates - so they are free to the public upon release, anyway. Apple have their own agreements with developers not to distribute beta software - punishment for doing do is having their dev account revoked.

None of that is true with respect to copyright law.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
1. The question was about Baltimore, MD, USA. Not South Africa.
2. South Africa obviously has copyright laws.

None of that is true with respect to copyright law.

Copyright does not apply. Downloading the beta does require agreement to an NDA. Whatever laws in your country might apply is not important, because Apple might sue because of your NDA contract violation.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Copyright does not apply. Downloading the beta does require agreement to an NDA. Whatever laws in your country might apply is not important, because Apple might sue because of your NDA contract violation.

Copyright always applies. Distribution and reproduction of a computer program requires the permission of the copyright holder subject to specific limitations.

You probably should read his second paragraph.

I read his second paragraph. It is incorrect.

Nanasaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Oh jeez - I hope it isn't illegal. I've been charging my family & friends to install iOS 6 on their devices since last December! :rolleyes:

I don't think it is illegal. iOS 6 is free and downloadable everywhere. What you charging is for the process of installing iOS 6, not charing for iOS 6 itself.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Illegal is gray. Definitely a terms violation if he's selling UDID slots. Which will get him banned if caught and those UDIDs with him.

But whether they could sue him etc, maybe maybe not

Their lawyers would likely issue a C&D and that would be that. His dev account should be banned though. Selling UDID slots or selling beta installs is just plain douchy. The spirit of the dev program is not for some ******* to make a quick buck selling beta installs.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
Copyright always applies. Distribution and reproduction of a computer program requires the permission of the copyright holder subject to specific limitations.

I read his second paragraph. It is incorrect.

OK. Copyright does not apply because the NDA comes first.

When you and I agree on a contract and I violate our agreement, any other laws that might apply are not relevant for you to sue me ....

That was what I was trying to say.
Any number of additional laws might apply, but they are not relevant for Apple to take action.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.