Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 20, 2013, 11:03 PM   #1
AppleTalker
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Do i have a dynamic or a static IP?

Hello. I was wondering which kind of IP i had, before i bother my ISP about which one i have i thought i'd ask here. When i searched on how to find it through terminal, this thread came up: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

And the user saying the Terminal command to find this: http://gyazo.com/06c0c96aaf1ccd3c3aaf59fe877cad59

I followed his steps and when he said "Then parse the output looking for "Active Location: Yes" i had this in terminal: http://gyazo.com/2455a7d2db7999cc112cdf1d155d4467

But he said that if it said under "IPv4" section: "Configuration Method: DHCP" and i have under the Wifi section (I only use Wi-Fi) i have - "Configuration Method: DHCP" (http://gyazo.com/4f6abcfcec9f24e0be7119bd5c3dc2c2)

So do i have a static or dynamic IP address? I still don't get it

Any help would be appreciated
AppleTalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:43 AM   #2
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
You have two IP addresses: the one used to connect your Mac to the wireless router (which is the one you see in Network preferences), and the one that your modem uses to connect to the outside world.

Both can vary.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:54 AM   #3
AppleTalker
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
You have two IP addresses: the one used to connect your Mac to the wireless router (which is the one you see in Network preferences), and the one that your modem uses to connect to the outside world.

Both can vary.
Well, all my devices (windows laptop, imac, macbook pro,iphone and Ipad are using the same ip address, from same router. So if i press the reset button on my router will i get a new IP? Thanks. But i dont know anything about routers or like that.

From your guess would you say dynamic or static? I read that most people have dynamic IP's.
AppleTalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 02:59 AM   #4
tag
macrumors 6502a
 
tag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: PA, US
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTalker View Post
So if i press the reset button on my router will i get a new IP? Thanks.
Most likely yes. Getting a static IP address from an ISP usually always costs extra and usually is more for business accounts not residential accounts.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Oct 28, 2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: edited quote
tag is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:53 AM   #5
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTalker View Post
Well, all my devices (windows laptop, imac, macbook pro,iphone and Ipad are using the same ip address, from same router. So if i press the reset button on my router will i get a new IP?
From the modem/router outwards, into the rest of the world and the whole internet, you have one IP address.

Inside your own network, each device should have its own IP address on your local network, and that will be 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x.

But "the internet" can't tell which device you are using as you all have the same IP address from the modem outwards. This is actually a good security feature as there is no "direct" IP connection between the internet and your computer. The router is like a border control where everyone has to get off the bus and onto a different bus. But I digress.

Yes, your external IP address is likely to be dynamic.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |

Last edited by Doctor Q; Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: edited quote
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:22 AM   #6
AppleTalker
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
From the modem/router outwards, into the rest of the world and the whole internet, you have one IP address.

Inside your own network, each device should have its own IP address on your local network, and that will be 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x.

But "the internet" can't tell which device you are using as you all have the same IP address from the modem outwards. This is actually a good security feature as there is no "direct" IP connection between the internet and your computer. The router is like a border control where everyone has to get off the bus and onto a different bus. But I digress.

Yes, your external IP address is likely to be dynamic.
I don't even know what that means haha :/ I'm not THAT techy as most people are on here. So if i reset my router will i get a new IP address?

Verizon (my ISP) sent me a brand new router and every one of the codes where diffrent (WEP etc.) but when i looked up my IP it was still the same the old router had. But i know i have dynamic and that being set if i reset or unplug my router will all my computers and Idevices get a new IP? That is what i`m hoping will happen.

Thank you!
AppleTalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:53 AM   #7
benwiggy
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Why do you need a new IP address?

The router should connect to the internet using one IP address automatically. You don't need to know it.
Similarly, your devices should connect to the router automatically, with the router supplying local network IP addresses.

I couldn't tell you what my IP address is right now -- either my Mac's local network IP or the "outward" facing IP to the internet. I have no need to know.
__________________
2012 MacMini, 2.6GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, Fusion Drive | 2012 MacBook Pro, 16Gb RAM, 480 Gb SSD |
2009 MacBook | 2006 iMac | 2003 G3 iBook | Beige G3 | PowerMac 7600 | Mac IIsi |
benwiggy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:45 AM   #8
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTalker View Post
I don't even know what that means haha :/ I'm not THAT techy as most people are on here. So if i reset my router will i get a new IP address?

Verizon (my ISP) sent me a brand new router and every one of the codes where diffrent (WEP etc.) but when i looked up my IP it was still the same the old router had. But i know i have dynamic and that being set if i reset or unplug my router will all my computers and Idevices get a new IP? That is what i`m hoping will happen.

Thank you!
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish (?), but if Verizon is your ISP unless you are specifically paying (extra) for a fixed IP, you can just about bet it is dynamic.

That said, just because it is a dynamic IP, does not mean it will be changed when you unplug or reboot the modem/router. This depends on how the ISP is using DHCP.

For example, I use Time Warner Cable for Internet access and they use dynamic IP addresses. But I have had the exact same IP address for months and months. This is through power outages and modem resets from some recabling I did. It just stayed the same throughout.

Last edited by Doctor Q; Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: edited quote
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:14 AM   #9
AppleTalker
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
I'm not quite sure what you are trying to accomplish (?), but if Verizon is your ISP unless you are specifically paying (extra) for a fixed IP, you can just about bet it is dynamic.

That said, just because it is a dynamic IP, does not mean it will be changed when you unplug or reboot the modem/router. This depends on how the ISP is using DHCP.

For example, I use Time Warner Cable for Internet access and they use dynamic IP addresses. But I have had the exact same IP address for months and months. This is through power outages and modem resets from some recabling I did. It just stayed the same throughout.
[/COLOR]Ok, so now i know i have an dynamic IP. How would i go about changing my IP address via the router? The reason i want to change it is because i've been IP banned from a Youtube Forum but did nothing wrong. It was a mistake, but no one fixed it. I've tried contact the Admin/Staff of the site but they never replied to my emails. So that's the main reason and that i want a complete fresh start. Please, please any help would be very much appreciated! Even when i contacted my ISP, they said restart the router for a new IP. Is there another way? Please help
AppleTalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:25 AM   #10
blueroom
macrumors 603
 
blueroom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTalker View Post
[/COLOR]Ok, so now i know i have an dynamic IP. How would i go about changing my IP address via the router? The reason i want to change it is because i've been IP banned from a Youtube Forum but did nothing wrong. It was a mistake, but no one fixed it. I've tried contact the Admin/Staff of the site but they never replied to my emails. So that's the main reason and that i want a complete fresh start. Please, please any help would be very much appreciated! Even when i contacted my ISP, they said restart the router for a new IP. Is there another way? Please help
Change ISPs or continue to bug YouToobe about the ban.
__________________
My iOS devices are not jailbroken.
Bill
My Blog

Last edited by Doctor Q; Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: edited quote
blueroom is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Weaselboy
macrumors G5
 
Weaselboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleTalker View Post
Is there another way? Please help
Ahh... I see.

The only thing I have read people having some success with is to completely turn off the modem/router for an hour or two, the just hope Verizon DHCP throws you a new IP when you start it back up. This still may not work though.

You might try searching Verizon's support forums to see if anybody has any ideas, but what I mentioned is all I have ever heard of working.

As a temp. workaround, you might be able to see YouTube with a proxy service like http://hidemyass.com

Last edited by Doctor Q; Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 AM. Reason: edited quote
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:22 PM   #12
AppleTalker
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
Ahh... I see.

The only thing I have read people having some success with is to completely turn off the modem/router for an hour or two, the just hope Verizon DHCP throws you a new IP when you start it back up. This still may not work though.

You might try searching Verizon's support forums to see if anybody has any ideas, but what I mentioned is all I have ever heard of working.

As a temp. workaround, you might be able to see YouTube with a proxy service like http://hidemyass.com
Thank you! I'll try.
AppleTalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 2013, 03:34 PM   #13
aaronvan
macrumors 6502a
 
aaronvan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Washington State
Comcast here with a dynamic IP.

"Dynamic" being a relative term as my IP doesn't change for weeks on end.

Comcast charges more for a static IP as part of a business package.
__________________
Italy had warfare, murder and bloodshed but produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. Switzerland had 500 years of peace and democracy and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock.
aaronvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 08:58 AM   #14
mcfx
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: US
Quote:
Originally Posted by benwiggy View Post
Inside your own network, each device should have its own IP address on your local network, and that will be 192.168.1.x or 10.0.0.x.
It could be also in the 172.16.0.x range (class B address).


Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronvan View Post
Comcast here with a dynamic IP.

"Dynamic" being a relative term as my IP doesn't change for weeks on end.

Comcast charges more for a static IP as part of a business package.
That just means you have a long lease time, yet it's still dynamic.
__________________
Mac Pro Mid 2010 12-Core 3.46GHz, 48GB RAM, 512GB Apple SSD iPhone 4S 64GB Black iPod touch 32GB Black
mcfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2013, 08:36 PM   #15
AppleTalker
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Ok. Here's some news...

I was chatting with Verizon a few days about this and the rep suggested i unplug the router. It worked! When i unplugged the router (for like a few minutes or so) then plugged it back in, bam new IP address! So i didn't have to wait for an hour or longer, as I'm very busy. I would hug the rep right now if i could haha.
AppleTalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dynamic Wallpaper djr7572 iOS 7 6 Mar 27, 2014 07:02 PM
Dynamic Wallpapers pojo1806 iOS 7 0 Sep 26, 2013 04:41 AM
Dynamic or Static Wallpapers sird28 iOS 7 20 Sep 26, 2013 02:35 AM
Dynamic Vs. Static Wallpapers sird28 iOS 7 6 Aug 6, 2013 11:06 AM
locally hosted web server Static IP address cost v dynamic DNS cost? infobleep Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking 6 Aug 4, 2012 10:31 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC