Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcarl79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
sounds like it should work fine

Sweet, I don't see any problem myself... Just couldn't find any info or other experiences when googling it... Will see how it goes and let people know in case anyone else looks this up :)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
if it were me I would save some cash and just get a USB 3.0 external it has to be cheaper than that thing

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
I've wondered the same thing but haven't had an opportunity to try it yet. Definitely let us know if it works!

If it doesn't work you might consider using a USB to HDMI/DVI adapter to send video to your display. Thats how a few of our employees currently use dual displays with their MacBook Airs, one USB adapter and one Thunderbolt adapter.

mrcarl79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
if it were me I would save some cash and just get a USB 3.0 external it has to be cheaper than that thing

Mid 2011 MacBook Air doesn't have USB 3.0 I'm afraid.

I see your point about the cost of that device though, but there are some slightly cheaper seagate alternatives which could be options.

If I did go ahead with this idea I'd prefer daisy chained thunderbolt anyway as I hate having multiple cables to plug in and out all the time, but I'm considering some other options anyway.

I basically want extra storage and a better screen for my aperture photo management, so it's almost getting more cost effective to just get a second hand iMac for the job and that can also be used in target display mode if I want to use it as a screen for the MBA.

Will see how I get on!!

----------

This worked fine on my 2011 MBA (also on my new 2013 MBA): https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/17750325/

That's good to read, that Seagate drive was one of the devices I was considering too and more cost effective than the WD devices... As I can buy the Thunderbolt adapter and drive in 2 separate purchases, which keeps it under the NZ import duty threshold so can order of Amazon :)

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Only problem with the drives is that nobody has a spec for the rotation speed. On the shelf in Best Buy, the sign said the 3TB drive was 7200 RPM, and no speeds were given for the 1, 2 and 4TB drives. I got a 2 and a 3. The 3TB seems really fast. Haven't used the 2TB drive for anything except time machine, so I don't have a real sense of the speed.

Also, be sure to get the desktop backup plus drives. Seagate sells some smaller, cheaper backup plus drives that will not fit that dock. Evidently the connection from the drive to the dock is e-SATA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.