Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Another new Galaxy.

And this time it's a flip phone.

Let's bring the 90s back, y'all.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/08/21/samsung-galaxy-golden-flipphone/
Well technically, if you think about some of the tablet computers that they're still selling, this follows that, in a way. I'm not sure this is bringing back the 90's, but I do think the phone is just the wrong size. I wouldn't want a Note up to my ear when talking, nor do I need a dual 3.7" screens, vertically.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
It caters to the SEA market where a lot of people still prefer to use a flip phone, especially Japan.

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010
This is pretty cool. I'd be willing rock a flip phone again, if it had good specs.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Even when the screen is completely broken and unusable, you can still answer and dial out calls just like the good ol' days. :D

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Samsung has so much money right now they're just throwing anything at the wall to see what sticks.

a premium phone
a midrange phone
a budget phone
a tough phone
a phone with 10x optical zoom
a phablet
a bigger phablet
a phone w 2 sim cards
a flipphone
a smartwatch

Samsung engineers must be having fun right now because that company seems down to try anything

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
This is pretty cool. I'd be willing rock a flip phone again, if it had good specs.

Definately! I always thought it was a shame flip phones didn't really take off in the UK, most high end phones are "sliders". I always admired some of the handsets available to the Japanese markets.

blitzer09x87

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2013
not for me, i'm a note guy, i want big screens so this is not for me, but it's a good idea and it can be successful.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Samsung has so much money right now they're just throwing anything at the wall to see what sticks.

In other words, Samsung isn't forcing every buyer to fit into the same general bin.

There are plenty of people out there who like physical keyboards, flip style, large and small screens, etc. It's nice that their needs and desires are not ignored in favor of a single mass consumer design.

Samsung engineers must be having fun right now because that company seems down to try anything

Apparently you're right.

According to the latest news, Apple engineers are beginning to leave to find companies where they can do more innovation.

(We already saw that happen once when a small bunch left to help create WebOS, with its multitasking cards concept.)

asthamapheo

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2013
it's too late now, people are addicted to bigger screens and slim phones. this phone will terribly fail and i dont think samsung will bring out more flapper devices.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
it's too late now, people are addicted to bigger screens and slim phones. this phone will terribly fail and i dont think samsung will bring out more flapper devices.

It's not marketed towards the Americas or Europe.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This is what makes them successful. They have so many devices that anyone can find one they like.

Not everyone. ;)

And I'm not belittling them because having options is great. The problem I see is that they are all variations of the same thing--very similar (materials, design, software, etc) so if you don't like any of these aspects, you tend to be shut out on all fronts. And it's not exclusive to Samsung. Many companies apply a general design theme across their entire range of products--I understand there are cost benefits but at the same time, if you don't like their design, you often won't be buying any of their products.

Regarding the topic at hand, the flip phone--too big/bulky and inefficient for my tastes--would rather have a smaller profile with one larger, stellar display vs. too lesser versions. But I'm sure there is a market for this--nice bridge device to bring former feature phone users to the smartphone world.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I'd like a flip smartphone with a QWERTY keyboard but I doubt that's going to become a thing ever lol. My tech tastes are weird sometimes :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.