Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Hi, I'll make this an easy Q...my aunt just bought an iBook for my uncle when she was out of town for an early Christmas gift. My grandma bought my uncle AppleCare, so will he have a hard time trying to register the iBook and then enrolling in the AppleCare (yes my gram bought an enrollment box)? I ask since I've always bought AppleCare at the same time from the same store so I'm not sure about the answer. Thanks for any help :)

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
I've never done it myself... but I assume that it is meant to be compatible this way as well.

I think your uncle should have no problems enrolling in AppleCare even if it was purchased separately and at a different time. :)

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
Artful Dodger said:
Hi, I'll make this an easy Q...my aunt just bought an iBook for my uncle when she was out of town for an early Christmas gift. My grandma bought my uncle AppleCare, so will he have a hard time trying to register the iBook and then enrolling in the AppleCare (yes my gram bought an enrollment box)? I ask since I've always bought AppleCare at the same time from the same store so I'm not sure about the answer. Thanks for any help :)
Should be easy to register. All you need to do is go to Apple's Support website with the Serial number of the iBook and the Register number in the Applecare box. And register the Applecare to that particular iBook.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I always wait for the 90 Days of free tech support runs out and then buy AppleCare for my Macs. I bought my iPod Mini last October, and I waited all the way up until this past September to get AppleCare for it and everything went through very smooth, no problems at all. You have until the original warranty runs out to get/register AppleCare with a particular Apple product. Also note that the AppleCare will cover things like the Mighty Mouse, Apple keyboards, AirPort Extreme/Express Base Stations, iLife '05 help, Mac OS X help, and any other thing Apple Branded that you can plug in or install on that iBook.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
mklos said:
I always wait for the 90 Days of free tech support runs out and then buy AppleCare for my Macs. I bought my iPod Mini last October, and I waited all the way up until this past September to get AppleCare for it and everything went through very smooth, no problems at all. You have until the original warranty runs out to get/register AppleCare with a particular Apple product. Also note that the AppleCare will cover things like the Mighty Mouse, Apple keyboards, AirPort Extreme/Express Base Stations, iLife '05 help, Mac OS X help, and any other thing Apple Branded that you can plug in or install on that iBook.

If I don't have Apple Care on my iBook and I get a mighty mouse (and say it breaks) will I be able to get it fixed/replaced? My computer is still under the year old, so I should be able to right? The mighty mouse doesn't carry a warranty of it's own? What if you're NOT using it on a Mac?

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
ITASOR said:
If I don't have Apple Care on my iBook and I get a mighty mouse (and say it breaks) will I be able to get it fixed/replaced? My computer is still under the year old, so I should be able to right? The mighty mouse doesn't carry a warranty of it's own? What if you're NOT using it on a Mac?

The Mighty Mouse has a 1yr warranty of its own. ALL Apple products carry at least a 1 yr warranty. Then if you have AppleCare on your iBook, you will get an extra 2 years of warranty on that iBook from what I understand.

poolin1243

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2005
Kansas City,MO/Milwaukee, WI
id recommend gion about 7 months into your 1 year warranty then getting the apple care...or even procare...it never hurts to have the best warranty...i had a lemon pb 1.5ghz, and apple replaced it with a brand new revision one for me!

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
poolin1243 said:
id recommend gion about 7 months into your 1 year warranty then getting the apple care...or even procare...it never hurts to have the best warranty...i had a lemon pb 1.5ghz, and apple replaced it with a brand new revision one for me!

If you know you want AppleCare, there is no benefit to waiting other than postponing the purchase. Of course, you do risk the price going up.

I always purchase my AppleCare from Small Dog or other retailer that offer a lower price than Apple. No problem registering it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.