Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Learo2000GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Edit: Not trying to get Apple to cover. Looking at other options.

I had a freak accident and I cracked the screen on my MacBook pro retina 1st Gen 15 inch. It looks like someone shot it with a bb gun. I was working in my lazy boy with 2 lap tops and got a cord wrapped around my foot when getting up and both computers fell and one must have hit the screen in the retina.

I had it listed on craigslist at the time of the accident. I was going to sell it because I really didn't need it. Apple quoted me 650 to fix. Not sure what to do. I see you can get the screens on amazon for 250ish but how do I know if I am getting a Samsung Screen and how hard I it to really replace?

I tried to sell it cheap on craigslist but didn't get any bites. If I relist it on craigslist fixed I will have to have it fixed at Apple for moral reasons. I think it was probably worth 1500-1800, so if I invest 650 into it then I have lost a good chunk of my profit. Thinking of fixing myself or having a shop other then apple fixing it.

Any thoughts or input on fixing myself or any recommendations for shops other then Apple would be greatly appreciated. Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Just sick about it. And yes I did have it in a spec case.

Thanks in advance Doug

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It is common knowledge, and very clearly stated in the AppleCare agreement, that AppleCare does not cover damage from accidents, but only manufacturing defects.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It is common knowledge, and very clearly stated in the AppleCare agreement, that AppleCare does not cover damage from accidents, but only manufacturing defects.

This and how can anyone really help you get what you want when the warranty clearly states the terms?

I would look for a replacement screen, if at all possible, or have Apple replace.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica
Definitely look into homeowners/renters insurance as well as the possibility of extended warranty/insurance coverage from your credit card.

Is the screen itself cracked or is it just the glass over the screen?

I would check with an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider) to see if they have any cheaper options available for repair. If it's just the glass I'd imagine a shop would repair it for less than $200 or so. You can use Apple's locate tool to find service shops in your area.

The locate tool appears to be down at the moment but should return soon.

Learo2000GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
Maybe I didn't make my self clear. I know it is my fault and don't think Apple care should cover it by any means.

I am weighing my options. I have found replacement screen assemblies on ebay for 200-400 bucks. If I decide to keep it I am thinking of going this route but don't want to throw more money at it if this is a bad idea. Meaning it is to hard to replace or I get a bad screen and have to try and return the screen. Plus Apple Warrantee wont cover the screen. I would never try to put a cheap fix on it and sell it on craigs list. That is way outside my morals. So I guess my question is along this line.

1. How hard is it to replace the screen assembly? I looked at ifixit but I am a bit reserved.
2. If I buy a screen assembly, any recommendations on a reliable source.
3. Or is the only option to nut up and get it fixed through Apple?

PS I baught it on Amazon.... do they have any special coverage? Would my credit card work if it was through Amazon?

I have a call into my insurance agent. I think my deductible is 500 though.

Thanks again for the help

Doug

Last edited:

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
Apple Care only cover manufacturer defects not damage caused by accidents, I would check your Insurance Provider. If you're going to lose money reselling then just let it sit or get an external monitor. Lesson learned.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Maybe I didn't make my self clear. I know it is my fault and don't think Apple care should cover it by any means.
You may want to consider editing your thread title, as it implies that you feel otherwise. To edit the title, click "Edit" on your original post, then click "Go Advanced". There you will see where to edit the title.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
'merica

1. How hard is it to replace the screen assembly? I looked at ifixit but I am a bit reserved.
2. If I buy a screen assembly, any recommendations on a reliable source.
3. Or is the only option to nut up and get it fixed through Apple?

See my question above. That can make a big difference in repair cost.

1) It's not terribly hard if it's the entire clamshell assembly, just a few screws and a few cables. Shouldn't take more than an hour moving slowly.
2) The only option would be used parts suppliers or a broken "for parts" Mac through an individual seller. I've used Powerbookmedic and iFixit several times in the past and have had good experiences.
3) There are definitely options out there but they are likely limited by the somewhat proprietary display.

Learo2000GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
See my question above. That can make a big difference in repair cost.

1) It's not terribly hard if it's the entire clamshell assembly, just a few screws and a few cables. Shouldn't take more than an hour moving slowly.
2) The only option would be used parts suppliers or a broken "for parts" Mac through an individual seller. I've used Powerbookmedic and iFixit several times in the past and have had good experiences.
3) There are definitely options out there but they are likely limited by the somewhat proprietary display.

I tried to edit the title and couldn't. Sorry it is a bit misleading. I have found a few listings that say they are the OEM from Apple. Found one on amazon for 400 and change and a lot in the 200 area on ebay. Does anyone know the part number for the Samsung VS LG model, or any other good vendors?

Thanks in advance. Doug

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I tried to edit the title and couldn't.
It's quite simple. Starting from your original post in this thread:
ScreenCap  2013-08-21 at 12.14.01 PM.PNG
ScreenCap  2013-08-21 at 12.14.23 PM.PNG
ScreenCap  2013-08-21 at 12.16.57 PM.PNG

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
I had it listed on craigslist at the time of the accident. I was going to sell it because I really didn't need it. Apple quoted me 650 to fix. Not sure what to do.
The most logical thing to do is sell it as-is for the best offer you can get. Spending a large amount of money to fix something you're selling secondhand doesn't make sense because the value will never increase by more than the cost of the repair. In other words, fixing it is just going to end up costing you, not the buyer.
I tried to sell it cheap on craigslist but didn't get any bites. If I relist it on craigslist fixed I will have to have it fixed at Apple for moral reasons. I think it was probably worth 1500-1800, so if I invest 650 into it then I have lost a good chunk of my profit.
How cheaply were you trying to sell it? A base model 2012 15" sold private party in great condition has an absolute maximum value of about $1400-1500. You can get a refurbished one for $1599 with full warranty and brand new casing direct from Apple.

You could probably get someone to bite for somewhere under $1000. I can't see a scenario in which spending any money to fix it results in a net sale much more than that. If you find a good screen assembly for $300 and don't break anything else replacing it, you might get that $1400, but that's net $1100-1200, best case scenario, and you're carrying that extra $300 expense until you sell it.

----------

Definitely look into homeowners/renters insurance as well as the possibility of extended warranty/insurance coverage from your credit card.

Deductible is likely most of the cost of the repair anyway. Not much point to going through insurance for most people.

The glass on this computer can't be replaced separately from the display, so whether the LCD panel is cracked doesn't matter. It's a single part.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Why are you wasting the OP's time. You're the only one with an issue regarding the title.

I'm not the only one who interpreted the thread title the way I did, and I'm not wasting the OP's time. They didn't know how to edit the thread title, so I gave instructions on how to do so. Even if they don't use that information in this thread, I'm sure it'll come in handy for future threads. If you don't like my posts, you are welcome to add me to your ignore list.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
I'm not the only one who interpreted the thread title the way I did, and I'm not wasting the OP's time. They didn't know how to edit the thread title, so I gave instructions on how to do so. Even if they don't use that information in this thread, I'm sure it'll come in handy for future threads. If you don't like my posts, you are welcome to add me to your ignore list.

He was clear and this insistence on an update to the title is a waste of time.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
He was clear and this insistence on an update to the title is a waste of time.
No one is insisting. You're doing more to derail this thread than anyone, as you have contributed nothing to the OP. Joining a thread just to criticize those who are participating isn't the most productive or helpful way to contribute to the forum.

Learo2000GT

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 8, 2009
The most logical thing to do is sell it as-is for the best offer you can get. Spending a large amount of money to fix something you're selling secondhand doesn't make sense because the value will never increase by more than the cost of the repair. In other words, fixing it is just going to end up costing you, not the buyer.

How cheaply were you trying to sell it? A base model 2012 15" sold private party in great condition has an absolute maximum value of about $1400-1500. You can get a refurbished one for $1599 with full warranty and brand new casing direct from Apple.

You could probably get someone to bite for somewhere under $1000. I can't see a scenario in which spending any money to fix it results in a net sale much more than that. If you find a good screen assembly for $300 and don't break anything else replacing it, you might get that $1400, but that's net $1100-1200, best case scenario, and you're carrying that extra $300 expense until you sell it.

This makes the best sence I have read. I am going to list if for 1000 and call it a day. Thanks

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
And this is why I buy Squaretrade over Apple Care, not only do I pay less, but they will cover a situation like this.

sectime

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2007
Thanks, done

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
And this is why I buy Squaretrade over Apple Care, not only do I pay less, but they will cover a situation like this.

To be clear, an event like this would completely use up your Square trade warranty. So after this repair you would likely have close to 0 dollars left on your Square trade warranty to cover any future incidents.

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
To be clear, an event like this would completely use up your Square trade warranty. So after this repair you would likely have close to 0 dollars left on your Square trade warranty to cover any future incidents.

Correct but at least it would be repaired.

Apple care would do nothing about it.

I wish Apple would come up with a better form of Apple care for these situations.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
This and how can anyone really help you get what you want when the warranty clearly states the terms?

I would look for a replacement screen, if at all possible, or have Apple replace.

Clearly you two didn't bother reading. He stated several times he knows he isn't covered by Apple Care. He was just looking for options since AppleCare (for obvious reasons) doesn't cover.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Clearly you two didn't bother reading. He stated several times he knows he isn't covered by Apple Care. He was just looking for options since AppleCare (for obvious reasons) doesn't cover.
Clearly you didn't bother reading that the original post was later modified. The original post and title could be interpreted either way, as acknowledged by the OP:
I tried to edit the title and couldn't. Sorry it is a bit misleading.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.