Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7

Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:53 AM   #1
WJKramer
macrumors regular

No new Betas due to 5S features?

Title says it all. Apple always takes a "beta leave of absence" prior to a GM release because they have to code in the new features for the new iPhone "5S" like fingerprint scanner, etc. and they don't want the developing public, and competition, to dissect the code revealing any new features.

I know this cause I am smrat.
WJKramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:57 AM   #2
shandyman
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJKramer View Post
Title says it all. Apple always takes a "beta leave of absence" prior to a GM release because they have to code in the new features for the new iPhone "5S" like fingerprint scanner, etc. and they don't want the developing public, and competition, to dissect the code revealing any new features.

No, since each device has it's own beta, it's all done at the same time, they will have been testing the new features for the new device for months already, so the code will have to be in already to ensure it works.
shandyman is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 09:57 AM   #3
freedevil
macrumors 6502a

Shop smart, shop Smart. You are Smrat!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:00 AM   #4
WJKramer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
No, since each device has it's own beta, it's all done at the same time, they will have been testing the new features for the new device for months already, so the code will have to be in already to ensure it works.
I bet that's correct but do you think there could be some "cross platform" stuff in the works? Maybe a feature that apple doesn't want to announce prior to unveiling the 5S?
WJKramer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:02 AM   #5
mfldmike
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedevil View Post
Shop smart, shop Smart. You are Smrat!
I thought it was, "Shop smart, shops s-mart."
mfldmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:08 AM   #6
nikicampos
macrumors 6502

Quote:

No, Apple has been working on the beta for the iPhone 5S since the beginning of iOS 7, and yes, the beta prior the GM release takes longer, but for different reasons other than adding new features to the new iPhone, it has to be more on the fact that apple works on speed, performance, smoothness, reliability, almost no new features are added.

I know this cause I am smart.
nikicampos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:09 AM   #7
lancastor
macrumors regular

Thats correct.

Same procedure at iOS5 development. No more betas for all devices to keep the Siri features secret.

There will be no more beta in iOS to bake the fingerprint APIs in the non-public betas in iOS7.
lancastor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 10:34 AM   #8
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
I bet that's correct but do you think there could be some "cross platform" stuff in the works? Maybe a feature that apple doesn't want to announce prior to unveiling the 5S?
Such features are typically unique to the hardware of the new device. And since each device has its own software all they have to do is not put iPhone 5s versions out and that special feature is safe.

That said, frankly I don't see anything big and new. Not if this is truly a 5S. Fingerprint security sensors etc are more likely a redesign item. This go around would be more of a spec bump as all S models generally are. So perhaps more ram, better processor, better camera etc. Plus all the new API in the software updating things.

So there could be more Betas, particularly if there are still issues with core features and there are. After all, even if they announce the new hardware on the 10-12th, it could actually launch a month later if that's what Apple wants. And the software with it
Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:51 AM   #9
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandyman View Post
Don't forget that there are nerds that have nothing to do but to be looking at the string tables in new builds...

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 7