Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Aug 21, 2013, 11:20 AM   #1
jonwithproblems
macrumors newbie

Iphone 4 stuck in recovery mode & itunes not detecting

I was given a iphone 4 by a friend that is locked to O2 network in the UK. My friend reset the phone to delete all his details. The phone is now stuck in recovery mode (screen shows itunes symbol and USB lead). I have tried holding the power button and home key etc but nothing is happening. I have the phone connected to my PC (with the latest version of itunes) but itunes does not detect the phone. Any suggestions
jonwithproblems is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Night Spring
macrumors G3

When you say "hold home and power buttons," what exactly did you do? Were you just holding them together until the phone restarted, or did you try getting it into DFU mode? If you haven't tried DFU, do that. If you don't know how, google, "iPhone DFU."
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:21 PM   #3
jonwithproblems
macrumors newbie

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have tried entering DFu mode via the 3 methods listed in this link with no luck.

http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode

With method 1 the apple icon appears almost immediately, disappears for a second and then comes back and remains there until the phone is switched on showing the itunes symbol and usb plug.
with method 2 the phone just switches off and nothing happens an with method 3 the same thing happens as with method 1.

I'm not quite sure what to do now.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:22 PM   #4
blueroom
macrumors 603

Try a different computer.
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:25 PM   #5
jonwithproblems
macrumors newbie

Hi, I have tried it on a mac and a pc and niether is detecting the iphone.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:30 PM   #6
blueroom
macrumors 603

See if Apple will sell you an OoW replacement.
blueroom is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2013, 12:47 PM   #7
jonwithproblems
macrumors newbie

I don't know what an Oow replacemet is? It doan't really seem like it would be necessary as the phone was working 1 minute and now I can't get it out of recovery mode.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwithproblems View Post
I don't know what an Oow replacemet is? It doan't really seem like it would be necessary as the phone was working 1 minute and now I can't get it out of recovery mode.
OOW means out of warranty.

But I think you may not be getting the timing of DFU right. On the windows computer, when you connect your iPhone, do you hear a USB-connect beep? If you do, you can use the beeps to get the timing right.

Connect iPhone -- hear connect beep.
Hold down power and home until you hear the disconnect beep.
Let go of power but keep holding home until you hear a connect beep again.

At this point, the screen stays black, Windows detects unknown USB device and starts installing a driver, and once the driver installs, iTunes should report an iPhone in recovery mode.

If that doesn't work -- have you tried a new cable?

And if that doesn't work, then it's probably time for a visit to Apple.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 01:14 PM   #9
jonwithproblems
macrumors newbie

Hi night spring, thanks for your help. I don't get the normal beep from my pc as I would when connecting any other device. I would assume that the cable works ok as when I use it with a wall plug then everything is fine charging wise. I think I may need an apple visit as nothing seems to be working.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwithproblems View Post
Hi night spring, thanks for your help. I don't get the normal beep from my pc as I would when connecting any other device. I would assume that the cable works ok as when I use it with a wall plug then everything is fine charging wise. I think I may need an apple visit as nothing seems to be working.
So if you connect other devices to the same USB port, they work fine, but when you connect your iPhone, you get nothing? Okay, sounds like you need to take it to Apple. Good luck.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone