Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonwithproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
I was given a iphone 4 by a friend that is locked to O2 network in the UK. My friend reset the phone to delete all his details. The phone is now stuck in recovery mode (screen shows itunes symbol and USB lead). I have tried holding the power button and home key etc but nothing is happening. I have the phone connected to my PC (with the latest version of itunes) but itunes does not detect the phone. Any suggestions

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
When you say "hold home and power buttons," what exactly did you do? Were you just holding them together until the phone restarted, or did you try getting it into DFU mode? If you haven't tried DFU, do that. If you don't know how, google, "iPhone DFU."

jonwithproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Hi, Thanks for the reply. I have tried entering DFu mode via the 3 methods listed in this link with no luck.

http://thebigboss.org/guides-iphone-ipod-ipad/dfu-mode

With method 1 the apple icon appears almost immediately, disappears for a second and then comes back and remains there until the phone is switched on showing the itunes symbol and usb plug.
with method 2 the phone just switches off and nothing happens an with method 3 the same thing happens as with method 1.

I'm not quite sure what to do now.

jonwithproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
I don't know what an Oow replacemet is? It doan't really seem like it would be necessary as the phone was working 1 minute and now I can't get it out of recovery mode.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I don't know what an Oow replacemet is? It doan't really seem like it would be necessary as the phone was working 1 minute and now I can't get it out of recovery mode.

OOW means out of warranty.

But I think you may not be getting the timing of DFU right. On the windows computer, when you connect your iPhone, do you hear a USB-connect beep? If you do, you can use the beeps to get the timing right.

Connect iPhone -- hear connect beep.
Hold down power and home until you hear the disconnect beep.
Let go of power but keep holding home until you hear a connect beep again.

At this point, the screen stays black, Windows detects unknown USB device and starts installing a driver, and once the driver installs, iTunes should report an iPhone in recovery mode.

If that doesn't work -- have you tried a new cable?

And if that doesn't work, then it's probably time for a visit to Apple.

jonwithproblems

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 21, 2013
Hi night spring, thanks for your help. I don't get the normal beep from my pc as I would when connecting any other device. I would assume that the cable works ok as when I use it with a wall plug then everything is fine charging wise. I think I may need an apple visit as nothing seems to be working.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hi night spring, thanks for your help. I don't get the normal beep from my pc as I would when connecting any other device. I would assume that the cable works ok as when I use it with a wall plug then everything is fine charging wise. I think I may need an apple visit as nothing seems to be working.

So if you connect other devices to the same USB port, they work fine, but when you connect your iPhone, you get nothing? Okay, sounds like you need to take it to Apple. Good luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.