Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Hires Former Levi's Senior VP for Retail Team

Apple has hired Levi Strauss' former Senior Vice President Enrique Atienza, reports 9to5Mac. Atienza, who formerly handled Levi's Retail Americas and Global Store Operations, is said to be working as a retail director overseeing multiple regions on the West Coast of the United States.

Quote:
A source says that Atienza will be the director of all retail matters for many regions within the West Coast of the United States, and this role is one of the highest ranking retail positions inside of Apple. Several internal and external candidates were considered for the position, but the external Atienza is said to have been the best fit.
While a Levi Strauss spokeswoman confirmed that Atienza had recently left the company, she declined to comment further on the departure. At Levi Strauss, Atienza was in charge of streamlining the company's global sales approach to create a better customer experience.

9to5Mac also notes that Steve Cano, formerly a retail manager, was promoted to Vice President of Retail Operations earlier in the year. Atienza will report to Cano, who reports directly to Tim Cook.

As Apple beefs up its retail team, the company is still searching for a new retail chief after John Browett was ousted last October as part of a major management restructuring. In August, The Wall Street Journal reported that Apple was only considering outside candidates for the position.

Apple's retail operations are more important than ever as the company enters into the fall months with a slew of products to reveal. Both the iPhone 5S and the low-cost iPhone 5C are expected to debut in September, with the fifth-generation iPad and the iPad mini coming slightly later in the year.

Article Link: Apple Hires Former Levi's Senior VP for Retail Team
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:17 PM   #2
NMSUballa
macrumors member

Seems like a good hire.
NMSUballa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:23 PM   #3
testcard
macrumors 65816

Nice. Stone-washed iPhone anyone?
testcard is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:23 PM   #4
AppleMark
macrumors 6502a

New iPhone 5s & 5C, now available in a denim (colour) option.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

iPhone 5(01)
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:28 PM   #6
gatearray
macrumors 65816

Perhaps the new iPhone will be riveted?

Seriously though, I had thankfully forgotten all about the Browett fiasco until it was mentioned in this article. <shudders>
gatearray is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:31 PM   #7
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God

Nice to have a SVP* in Retail again, although disappointed that Paul Deneve, head of the Yves Saint Laurent fashion house joining Apple, isn't heading retail. Could been a better fit (pun intended) w/ design edge in line with Johnson's.

*SVP, VP, CP, PP, CCCP - whatever, it's all the same to me.

Last edited by bedifferent; Aug 21, 2013 at 05:32 PM.
bedifferent is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:31 PM   #8
Asclepio
macrumors 6502

Stone-washed iPhone anyone? or iPhone 5(01) now available in a denim (colour) option, perhaps will be riveted?
Asclepio is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:33 PM   #9
JayJayAbels
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenesisST View Post
iPhone 5(01)
Touché.
JayJayAbels is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:35 PM   #10
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

As expected, the corny Levi jokes...
Aluminum213 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:43 PM   #11
lolkthxbai
macrumors 6502a

Maybe we'll see the comeback of the iPod socks as the iPhone jeans
lolkthxbai is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:46 PM   #12
Technarchy
macrumors 601

We have a Levi's corporate store near me, and it's of my favorite shops. Always well laid out, clean, good staff.

Sounds like a good hire to me.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:46 PM   #13
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Levi's is an iconic, highly-regarded brand, though in recent years the company has struggled a bit. While I don't know much of Enrique Atienza, his experience at Levi's will no doubt be valuable to Apple, and I trust he'll be a good fit at Apple if he was a good fit at Levi's.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:47 PM   #14
PBF
macrumors 68030

That's just crazy!

Apple is best at computers, iPhones, software, etc. Their decision to start selling jeans is plain stupid and ridiculous. I'm done with this company.

Android, here I come!
PBF is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:51 PM   #15
CFreymarc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleMark View Post
New iPhone 5s & 5C, now available in a denim (colour) option.
Very good move. Levi-Strauss has been experimenters with fashion centric wearable technologies over over two decades. They have financed many start-ups playing around placing microprocessors in clothing and wearable accessories with a fashion eye. Most only saw very limited distribution if only private beta testing.

Been told that Levi's corporate is very conscience of it's blue collar / working man image and is not interested in "geeking up the brand" as some have called embracing wearable technologies. Thus, they are avoiding being a fashion company turning into a technology featured company while keeping most of their customer base. IMO, about the only fashion company that successfully did this is Fossil.

Apple on the other hand is a technology company that became a fashion company. I'm sure this'll be a breath of fresh air for the him while also avoiding the commute from the Peninsula into the City. The commute from the Peninsula into Cupertino is not that bad and mostly a counter-commute.
CFreymarc is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:51 PM   #16
12vElectronics
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBF View Post
That's just crazy!

Apple is best at computers, iPhones, software, etc. Their decision to start selling jeans is plain stupid and ridiculous. I'm done with this company.

Android, here I come!
:lol: Not a surprising statement considering some of the other stuff I've been reading!
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:52 PM   #17
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrxak View Post
Levi's is an iconic, highly-regarded brand, though in recent years the company has struggled a bit. While I don't know much of Enrique Atienza, his experience at Levi's will no doubt be valuable to Apple, and I trust he'll be a good fit at Apple if he was a good fit at Levi's.
Between American Eagle, Aeropostale, Ambercrombie, Hollister, PacSun, Gap, Express, Old Navy, Lucky, and lord knows how many others, a company like Levi's is going to feel pinched. I don't think it's an issue of making a quality product, but establishing value and capturing mind-share in a massively crowded market.

Either way, I like my local Levi's stores more than most other retailers.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:54 PM   #18
chirpie
macrumors 6502a

My advice for new hires is that the people at the top aren't as smart as you think they are.

Generally they've got a strong work ethic and they eat and breathe their job, but there's nothing "magical" in their thought process.

I see this as just another calculated roll of the die.
chirpie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 04:59 PM   #19
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedifferent View Post
Nice to have a SVP in Retail again, although disappointed that Paul Deneve, head of the Yves Saint Laurent fashion house joining Apple, isn't heading retail. Could been a better fit (pun intended) w/ design edge in line with Johnson's.
I don't think this guy is an SVP.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:03 PM   #20
tbrand7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
That's just crazy!

Android, here I come!
Are you currently sober?
iPad Air- 128 GB, Celluar
tbrand7 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:09 PM   #21
iMerik
macrumors 6502

Cool. Excited to see what comes of this.
iMerik is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:10 PM   #22
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Between American Eagle, Aeropostale, Ambercrombie, Hollister, PacSun, Gap, Express, Old Navy, Lucky, and lord knows how many others, a company like Levi's is going to feel pinched. I don't think it's an issue of making a quality product, but establishing value and capturing mind-share in a massively crowded market.

Either way, I like my local Levi's stores more than most other retailers.
There's been a few recent entrants that you didn't even mention that have really hit Levi's hard, copying many of Levi's traditional brand attributes, and they've had some issues trying to be everything to everyone (which is never a good idea when you're maintaining a brand). If they streamline a bit, they can probably regain their place. Even with all the new competition, though, they're a solid brand worn by pretty much everybody at some point in their lives.

But anyway, they're not hiring this guy for their marketing department. I expect his responsibilities will be mainly operational. But he's worked for another company that was very brand-focused, so he'll fit in well with Apple's culture.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:10 PM   #23
dragje
macrumors 6502a

The picture on the front page message looks really nice. Would love to visit this store once..
dragje is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:11 PM   #24
yeah
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
That's just crazy!

Android, here I come!
The new iJeans: Hiding unsightly erections, one nano-chip at a time.
Old Aug 21, 2013, 05:12 PM   #25
Gasu E.
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
As expected, the corny Levi jokes...
They are a lot better than the ignorant negative crap that too often greets these announcements. No, I am not referring to your calling the jokes "corny".

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion